Low Pay in the Scottish Premiership

I went to uni with a girl who is now invlolved in organising 'things' for the Aberdeen youth teams. I'm tempted to drop her a line to ask if she's in full time employment with the club and, if so, whether or not she is anywhere near the living wage. Disappointing if we're well down on the living wage.

Apologies for the 'things' reference, unfortunately that was as well explained as it got in Saturday's EE which had a wee mention for her work behind the scenes.

We've found a good use for all that money Cockwomble has found though............

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do massive High street retailers pay minimum wage or the living wage?

I've seen Sir Tom Green fighting against a rise in minimum wage so imagine all his stores won't be paying a pesky living wage.

Why are they targeting football clubs?

More to the point, why not target those Massive English clubs who no doubt do the same.

Dund££ FC probably paying behind the scenes staff more than most other diddy teams pay players tbh.

Dund££ pay the pie sellers £10,000 a game I've heard.

How long till admin 3?

Do massive High street retailers pay minimum wage or the living wage?

I've seen Sir Tom Green fighting against a rise in minimum wage so imagine all his stores won't be paying a pesky living wage.

Why are they targeting football clubs?

More to the point, why not target those Massive English clubs who no doubt do the same.

The program is about all kinds of low wage employers in Scotland.

From a quick skim it looks like the BBC asked for salary information; got told to f**k off by the clubs/SPFL; applied for temporary hospitality jobs, a well known across the board low wage sector; asked a few folk about what they got paid and then made a programme out of it slagging the clubs off? Sounds like investigative journalism at it's best.

The program is about all kinds of low wage employers in Scotland.

That's fine. My apologies.

I've only read what was in the papers today and it certainly isn't pretty reading for SPFL clubs.

When you say low pay in Scotland, do you mean national retailers?

That's a typically shite response from Doncaster. Instead of saying the SPFL should perhaps be a bit more responsible, or even defending what the clubs do, he just whines "The SPFL - speaking for its member clubs - feels strongly that Scottish football is, again, being very unfairly singled out for scrutiny. Can I ask, why is football the target of focus here and not any other individual sector?"

Well, football is picked on because it's got a highly visible and hugely influential position in society. It can take a lead, or it can do what it always does. Football is singled out because the people that run it are such an easy and deserving target. If they don't like it, they can do something constructive instead of bleating.

I'm treasurer for a church. We ran a deficit last year, but we pay the living wage. It's not a question of whether we can afford it. It's just as matter of doing the right thing and treating people properly. We try to do that, and we live with the consequences.

Incidentally, I wouldn't read too much into whether or not clubs are accredited. Our church isn't. We decided not to bother with the expense and hassle. We just took a policy decision to track the living wage and apply it. It's very easy - if you care.

From a quick skim it looks like the BBC asked for salary information; got told to f**k off by the clubs/SPFL; applied for temporary hospitality jobs, a well known across the board low wage sector; asked a few folk about what they got paid and then made a programme out of it slagging the clubs off? Sounds like investigative journalism at it's best.

As posted above, the program looks at a number of different sectors including football. As for hospitality jobs, most of those are employed by catering companies and not the football clubs themselves.

Seems the clubs went crying to Neil Doncaster ????????

Is he there Mommy now?

As posted above, the program looks at a number of different sectors including football. As for hospitality jobs, most of those are employed by catering companies and not the football clubs themselves.

Ok, so as part of the programme they targeted football. Do the BBC slag the catering companies in it? How did they manage to get exact wage figures about the clubs employees without the co-operation?

That's a typically shite response from Doncaster. Instead of saying the SPFL should perhaps be a bit more responsible, or even defending what the clubs do, he just whines "The SPFL - speaking for its member clubs - feels strongly that Scottish football is, again, being very unfairly singled out for scrutiny. Can I ask, why is football the target of focus here and not any other individual sector?"

Well, football is picked on because it's got a highly visible and hugely influential position in society. It can take a lead, or it can do what it always does. Football is singled out because the people that run it are such an easy and deserving target. If they don't like it, they can do something constructive instead of bleating.

I'm treasurer for a church. We ran a deficit last year, but we pay the living wage. It's not a question of whether we can afford it. It's just as matter of doing the right thing and treating people properly. We try to do that, and we live with the consequences.

Incidentally, I wouldn't read too much into whether or not clubs are accredited. Our church isn't. We decided not to bother with the expense and hassle. We just took a policy decision to track the living wage and apply it. It's very easy - if you care.

Not to worry, I'm sure the big man upstairs will magic your accounts into order.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/dundee-united-and-st-johnstone-among-clubs-slammed-over-living-wage-1.876013

Hearts are the only Scottish club which is an accredited living wage employer, and the BBC was unable to establish what the pay rates at the remaining clubs were.

a little bit sick of hearts this , hearts that. Fact of the matter is you screwed creditors like rangers did for a period of time.

What's the obsession with living wage? We've all had jobs early in our life where we get paid the minimum wage and work up from there. If there are people who never get a pay rise then fine, but I have no issue on anyone starting on minimum wage. Too many people thing they deserve too much. You have to work for it!

What's the obsession with living wage? We've all had jobs early in our life where we get paid the minimum wage and work up from there. If there are people who never get a pay rise then fine, but I have no issue on anyone starting on minimum wage. Too many people thing they deserve too much. You have to work for it!

Well - the idea is that if you are working, you can actually afford to live of the wages without getting loads of government topups, which seems a good thing to me quite honestly. Shite wages just means the gap needs to be made up by others - which in many cases mean that big, profitable private sector companies get a subsidy...

On football clubs - I can imagine it's tricky where every penny is a prisoner but given their place in the community, I think it should be the done thing....

Archived