Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Corey O'Donnell has signed a new contract with the club, taking him up until the end of next season.

The striker, who netted his first goal for the club in the victory over Cove Rangers on Saturday, definitely has something about him and if he can continue to develop technically and physically, we'll have a good player on our hands. I was a bit taken aback by the length of the deal but I can't imagine he's on a big wage or he's a high-maintenance player, so it seems quite low-risk on our side. I wish all parties well.

Does anyone have any idea as to when he's back from his shoulder injury?

He has actually looked alright and exceeded expectations after his first few outings. I still worry about our strikeforce, even more so if Matty Yates is out of favour, for whatever reason. I wonder if Naysmith has something creative in mind in terms of juggling the squad?

New contract for O’Donnell Might turn out to be a good bit of business . Still not convinced though with what I’ve seen so far but he does give us something different 

Deadline only a few hours away do we expect any movement 

3 minutes ago, Ataboy said:

New contract for O’Donnell Might turn out to be a good bit of business . Still not convinced though with what I’ve seen so far but he does give us something different 

Deadline only a few hours away do we expect any movement 

No, because it only applies to permanent transfers between clubs. Free agents can sign any time and the loan window is open for another few weeks.

Aaron Steele is considerably better than the calibre of player I expected us to bring in. With Nicky Jamieson out for the medium term, we really needed another centre half but didn't think we'd bring one in. 

Banner has done pretty well there so far but it's great to have another option. Extremely surprised Arbroath let him go.

37 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Aaron Steele is considerably better than the calibre of player I expected us to bring in. With Nicky Jamieson out for the medium term, we really needed another centre half but didn't think we'd bring one in. 

Banner has done pretty well there so far but it's great to have another option. Extremely surprised Arbroath let him go.

He is a centre half that is not going to play centre half at Arbroath so best move for him as a player 

Meat and potatoes centre half - not great with ball at his feet - sure he will be absolutely fine for you 

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Wonder if nicky is out for longer than we thought originally? Don't know much about Steele. I presumed he was a centre forward!

There is a lot to like about Steele and I think he will come on a lot as a player too he’s still a pretty young laddie. Definitely very well liked at Arbroath and by all accounts at East Fife beforehand too. 

Adam Brown has left the club to join Stirling Albion. I'll be sorry to see Brown go - I liked watching him play and I like the way he carried himself on the pitch. He could be an incisive player and his delivery from set-pieces was a huge boon, but there were times where he could drift through matches without making much of an impact. At the moment there are better players in front of him in the attacking positions and he was unlikely to get much game time, so his departure was perhaps inevitable.

Brown's goal against Peterhead is one of the best I've ever seen at Ochilview and I will always be grateful for his contribution to our title win last season. It will never be forgotten.

Thank you, Adam! All the best.

Sad to see Broony go. Think he ended last season and started this one a little low on confidence. 

On his day, at our level, he can open teams up, has good feet and a range of passing. He'll be a good signing for Stirling.

But when you look at our bench of Allan, Jacobs, Berry and Yates, there's a lot of competition. 

Don't know much about Steele but look forward to seeing him in maroon. 

Good to see the club recruiting and addressing some issues. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

Some scoreline here lads, and it's not over yet - solid team show from the Warriors, or is this the Blair Alston show?

Stenny to be dark horses in L1 this season?

Sorry to see Adam move on but at the same time not a huge surprise. He is a great footballer, but probably, just not effective enough.

That goal against Peterhead and last season in general will never be forgotten.

Regardless, like Edin Lynch before him he leaves with everyone's good wishes.

On 27/07/2024 at 23:07, roman_bairn said:

I can’t compare you over a season but having seen Annan four times last season and shambolic Stenny today you are way behind. 
As you say, today was of little relevance to Stenny but you didn’t finish last season strongly and there’s not much so far to suggest major improvement.

I guess we will need to wait until the league is underway to see whether you are as good as you appear to think you are. Personally, I’d be worried and a few of your own clubs posters appear to agree…..

1_SHOWBIZ-Typecasting-3.thumb.jpg.58988fb8a30a4f2c101704f25f96b8eb.jpg

Here's how the squad is looking after Friday's transfers:

GOALKEEPERS

• Darren Jamieson
  • Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS

• Dean Aitken (signed from St Johnstone)
  • Kyle Banner (signed from Stirling Albion)
  • Kinlay Bilham
  • Gregor Buchanan
  • Kelsey Ewen (signed from Edinburgh City)
  • Nicky Jamieson
  • Ross Meechan
  • Aaron Steele (signed from Arbroath on loan)

MIDFIELDERS

• Blair Alston (signed from Partick Thistle)
  • Mikey Anderson
  • James Berry
  • Kyle Jacobs
  • Nat Wedderburn

ATTACKERS

• Matty Aitken
  • Fin Allan (signed from Dundee on loan)
  • Corey O'Donnell (signed from Broomhill)
  • Euan O'Reilly
  • Ross Taylor
  • Matty Yates

LEFT THE CLUB

• Dean Aitken (joined Camelon Juniors on loan)
  • Adam Brown (joined Stirling Albion)
  • Jordan Kirkpatrick (joined Camelon Juniors)
  • Edin Lynch (joined Edinburgh City)
  • Bradley Rodden (joined Bonnyrigg Rose)
  • Ben Stirling (joined Tranent Juniors)

It's a handy-looking team with quality and depth and competition for places. I think we're probably a superstar centre-forward away from having a very good squad but I'm content with our lot and believe they can go on to make a good impression this season.