Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Not a surprise result against a very good and well drilled Ayr side .

Whilst the conceding of goals from headers is a concern I don’t think it’s a longterm problem given last seasons success .

i though Yates worked his socks off and I thought despite a quiet first half Anderson was very good in the second .

Taylor with another very good finish and  looked very good again. Him and Yates work rate was excellent despite not being on the ball as much as we would like .

Banner looked solid again and finding him is a relief considering Nicky’s continued fitness concern .

On to Falkirk with optimism 

5 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Ayr certainly looked the part last night, closed us down very quickly and were physically strong.  Their actions prevented us playing out from the back as normal.  Losing 4 goals to headers has alarm bells ringing and the game seemed too fast for Wedderburn, perhaps time has caught up with him.

Matty Aitken is still an enigma but was given no protection at all  by the incompetent Gavin Duncan.

More questions asked than answered last night. Plenty for the gaffer to think about.

I thought he did ok, looked the same player from any other time I've saw him against us anyway.  Hear that Andy Murdoch is available for loan and I wonder if that's an option.  

It looks like Nicky Jamieson will be missing for a "big number of weeks" after a reoccurrence of his hamstring injury, according to Gary Naysmith. The manager was asked about the defender on a Patreon-only episode of the Terrace Podcast covering last night's game.

Although we can mitigate for his absence by bringing Kyle Banner in alongside Gregor Buchanan at the back, it's still a blow. Jamieson is an important player and this will have an impact on our start to the season. I wish him a speedy recovery!

On 10/07/2024 at 11:14, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stenhousemuir have added to their squad by signing Corey O'Donnell from Broomhill and Dean Aitken from St Johnstone. The former is a striker and joins from Broomhill, the latter, a defender, comes to us after leaving St Johnstone. They seem appear to be strapping young men. Going by the by the club website, both players will be assessed after the League Cup group stages and will likely leave on loan to play regular football until the new year.

On face value, it looks like both players will beef up our numbers going into the next four matches without necessarily improving the quality of the squad. I hope to be proven wrong and both O'Donnell and Aitken can add something we're lacking in.

Good luck to all parties concerned!

And indeed, Dean Aitken has joined Camelon Juniors on loan until January.

I wish him well and hope he can develop and improve over the next five months.

Just now, Senor Bairn said:

Well done Stenny on being the worst side I've seen in a long long time at the Falkirk stadium (and I've seen a lot of pish over the last 5 years):

You obviously missed the two games versus my mob last season. 

6 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

You obviously missed the two games versus my mob last season. 

Nope I was at them too. Was surprised at how poor the warriors were today. Lucky to keep 11 on the park too. 

I know its the league Cup, we don't care and use it for match fitness. But we have a lot of work to do in stopping these close range goals. 

Disappointed to see us lose like that against Falkirk, barely made an impression on the game.

Again, just think Aitken strolls through games and offers next to nothing. No out ball, no determination in the press or urgency to close their defence to stop the ball at source. A part from some physicality, he must be very easy to mark. It showed today and rightfully subbed at 70 minutes. Should've been earlier. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

Oh dear Stenny, that was brutal.  Set out your hacking diving anti-football stall early on and didn’t know what to do when that wasn’t working.

i forget how much of a grade-A certified gold plated c**t Darren Jamieson is.  Nice to see him palm one into his own net.  Mildly surprised he didn’t go down feigning injury again.

While I fully expected Stenhousemuir to lose this dead-rubber, low-stakes tie against a superior opponent, I was still a little concerned by what I saw against Falkirk. We offered virtually nothing and could have conceded double figures had our hosts been in the mood. Our full-backs struggled throughout and we look increasingly susceptible from balls fired in from out wide. I think we might have lost eight goals in our last three matches from cross balls and set-pieces. We kept so many clean sheets last season - what's happening!

I hope we can put these games behind us and focus on Arbroath next week. Now the League Cup is out the way, I would like to believe that teams further up the food chain have a better idea of the players they'd like to move on elsewhere and we can take advantage. The squad needs freshened up and we need a wee bit of quality to compete in League 1, especially in attack. I have no doubt that Gary Naysmith and the recruitment team have their fingers in an extraordinary number of pies already and I hope they can deliver what we need.

I'll see you on Flag Day!

I can't comment on the game as with it being a dead rubber I didn't bother but the scoreline is about what I expected. This Falkirk side are a mile ahead of us in every department, as you would expect, and sadly if they turn up then there is only one outcome. 

We simply can't get too up or down about this tournament. Judgement will start next week and I would assume we will have a few bodies in the door.

Nicky Jamieson being missing for a period of time is the only thing I would say is a legitimate concern as the drop off in quality when he is not there is huge and it puts a real dent in us.

I still have unfaltering belief in Gary and the players and next week will be a proper yard stick to where we are as the league cup against three superior sides and one inferior really tells us nothing about how we are going to do this season.

20 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I can't comment on the game as with it being a dead rubber I didn't bother but the scoreline is about what I expected. This Falkirk side are a mile ahead of us in every department, as you would expect, and sadly if they turn up then there is only one outcome. 

We simply can't get too up or down about this tournament. Judgement will start next week and I would assume we will have a few bodies in the door.

Nicky Jamieson being missing for a period of time is the only thing I would say is a legitimate concern as the drop off in quality when he is not there is huge and it puts a real dent in us.

I still have unfaltering belief in Gary and the players and next week will be a proper yard stick to where we are as the league cup against three superior sides and one inferior really tells us nothing about how we are going to do this season.

I admire your optimism but I think you’re deluded.  You have only beaten Buckie since early March.  You’ve been dreadful in any game I’ve seen, and today you were so bad as to be funny.  You will be wildly out of your depth this year.

5 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

I admire your optimism but I think you’re deluded.  You have only beaten Buckie since early March.  You’ve been dreadful in any game I’ve seen, and today you were so bad as to be funny.  You will be wildly out of your depth this year.

Out of our depth? Have you seen the division? There is no one remotely on the level of Falkirk. 

If we are "wildly" out of our depth we will finish bottom obviously by your estimations.

Let's do a little wager to Strathcarron or some equally deserving local charity that this will not happen.

We ended where we expected to end but the performances were pretty uninspiring. 

Can’t help thinking that there are 2 or 3 of the squad that have been retained that probably should have been moved on, but let’s see how we get on against teams from our own league. 

The young lad O’Donnell, ridiculously, is looking more and more like a better option than Aitken, but reality is that, as we all know, unless we get better options up top we are in bother.

Let’s see how next week goes.

4 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Out of our depth? Have you seen the division? There is no one remotely on the level of Falkirk. 

If we are "wildly" out of our depth we will finish bottom obviously by your estimations.

Let's do a little wager to Strathcarron or some equally deserving local charity that this will not happen.

I’m happy to do that.  I do think you’ll finish last.  I can’t see who you’ll be better than.

How much?

1 minute ago, Disco Duck said:

I’m happy to do that.  I do think you’ll finish last.  I can’t see who you’ll be better than.

How much?

Let's call it 50 for Strathcarron.

This is a better conclusion than going back and forth with "aye ye will" and "naw wi wulny" for another few posts when we have contrasting views.