Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Let's call it 50 for Strathcarron.

This is a better conclusion than going back and forth with "aye ye will" and "naw wi wulny" for another few posts when we have contrasting views.

Ha!  Agreed.  I have no axe to grind with Stenny, I enjoy wandering along to Ochilview if I’m not at our games.  I just feel you’ve lost all momentum by the way you won the league.

£50 it is.  Good cause.

All this dead rubber chat, not sure your players saw it like that. Some, eh, ‘meaty’ challenges today from your team. 

Whilst we could and should have doubled the scoreline, the comical nature of some of the goals should be alarming.

Naysmith been too loyal to last seasons team? There is a gulf in class even at League One as Stirling and Annan found out (albeit the latter managed to scrape survival late on).

18 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

As bad as today was, in the league we have Annan, Kelty, a basket case ICT and a Dumbarton team we finshed 10+ points above so there are a number of candidates we could feasibly finish above. It's not us and 9 teams who are clearly better than.

Absolutely this. Anyone who thinks we are out of our depth in that company just simply doesn't understand the league they are commenting on. The landscape is different from last season which I don't think some are fully grasping.

Falkirk are a mile ahead of all the teams above but we won't have to be as good as Falkirk to finish above a few of those.

Even the other full time sides of Cove and QOTS hardly send a shudder down the spine with some largely mediocre recruitment - neither are as good as Falkirk or even Hamilton from last season.

Edited by Neilly

In response to was Naysmith too loyal to last seasons's squad? Probably a bit. There's maybe 3 that I'd have aslo cut, but we dished out contracts earlier on in the season. On the flip side, given the difficult we've had in recruiting quality players, have people that are good professionals that we know are at worst 'okay' is probably better than scrambling about trying to bring others in.

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

We were well beaten today by a very good side . I think even that performance surprised the Falkirk boss given his comments . 
That is not a performance to be judged on but it’s clear we need to be much better come the real thing next week and beyond.

Not many if any got pass marks today although a few for effort would be the only positives I would dish out . Unfair to single out the very poor performers but they will need to improve quickly 

10 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

In response to was Naysmith too loyal to last seasons's squad? Probably a bit. There's maybe 3 that I'd have aslo cut, but we dished out contracts earlier on in the season. On the flip side, given the difficult we've had in recruiting quality players, have people that are good professionals that we know are at worst 'okay' is probably better than scrambling about trying to bring others in.

We had the same problem. Darren Young was extremely loyal to his title winning side. We only released one player (Danny Denholm) and the loan players who went back to their parent clubs. The difference between us and Stenny was we had some real momentum. We beat an injury ravaged Dumbarton side to the title and put in some real good performances. We also had an excellent League Cup campaign the following season which included a 4-0 win away to St Johnstone. Even though we were competitive, we were utter shit at times. We were particularly bad away to Falkirk and Hamilton. One of our biggest downfalls was not being able to put the ball in the net and relying solely on individuals to try and dig us out a hole. I also feel Darren Young was far too loyal to certain players.

I would be slightly concerned heading into this season. You haven't won since 2nd March apart from a win against Buckie. But it's too early to write off teams. Like us, you will need to get a couple of wee gems in the loan market. It worked a treat for Alloa last season.

I hope Kyle Banner does well for you. He started off at CB but in all honesty he was shit. Previous managers and Darren Young played him in CDM and he was miles better. 

52 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Absolutely this. Anyone who thinks we are out of our depth in that company just simply doesn't understand the league they are commenting on. The landscape is different from last season which I don't think some are fully grasping.

Falkirk are a mile ahead of all the teams above but we won't have to be as good as Falkirk to finish above a few of those.

Even the other full time sides of Cove and QOTS hardly send a shudder down the spine with some largely mediocre recruitment - neither are as good as Falkirk or even Hamilton from last season.

On the other hand we have seen a lot (too much) of quite a few of the sides you will face in league one and on the basis of todays performance I’d say you have work to do to stay up. 

If you think you’re better than Annan you may be in for a shock. I do hope for your squads sake that you have more in the locker than you did today or you will be straight back down…….

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

On the other hand we have seen a lot (too much) of quite a few of the sides you will face in league one and on the basis of todays performance I’d say you have work to do to stay up. 

If you think you’re better than Annan you may be in for a shock. I do hope for your squads sake that you have more in the locker than you did today or you will be straight back down…….

You've seen Annan in your league once. I've seen them in our league many more times than that. There team hasn't changed much over a good few years - you know what you are getting from them with Goss and Smith it's not exactly a secret.

Quitongo at left back is a big weakness and for me replacing Dom Docherty with a shot Paul McGowan is a downgrade. Losing Matty Douglas is a huge blow and the defence looks a lot weaker for it on paper.

I don't look at their squad and think we should not be mixing in that company. Goss, Smith and Todd would walk into our team but I wouldn't be fussed on anything else.

If we don't think we can finish above Annan Athletic then we may as well call it a day.

I do understand you have seen Montrose and Alloa and know their strengths and that's fine we will likely be behind them but we have to aim to be at that level or again what is the point? 

I just can't get on board with anyone thinking we are miles behind the opposition in this league. Yes, it will be tough I am under no illusions and there will be better teams of course but absolutely nothing like a Falkirk where you KNOW you are getting a doing before a ball is kicked. The landscape of the division has changed from last season surely anyone with working eyes can see that?

9 minutes ago, Neilly said:

You've seen Annan in your league once. I've seen them in our league many more times than that. There team hasn't changed much over a good few years - you know what you are getting from them with Goss and Smith it's not exactly a secret.

Quitongo at left back is a big weakness and for me replacing Dom Docherty with a shot Paul McGowan is a downgrade. Losing Matty Douglas is a huge blow and the defence looks a lot weaker for it on paper.

I don't look at their squad and think we should not be mixing in that company. Goss, Smith and Todd would walk into our team but I wouldn't be fussed on anything else.

If we don't think we can finish above Annan Athletic then we may as well call it a day.

I do understand you have seen Montrose and Alloa and know their strengths and that's fine we will likely be behind them but we have to aim to be at that level or again what is the point? 

I just can't get on board with anyone thinking we are miles behind the opposition in this league. Yes, it will be tough I am under no illusions and there will be better teams of course but absolutely nothing like a Falkirk where you KNOW you are getting a doing before a ball is kicked. The landscape of the division has changed from last season surely anyone with working eyes can see that?

I can’t compare you over a season but having seen Annan four times last season and shambolic Stenny today you are way behind. 
As you say, today was of little relevance to Stenny but you didn’t finish last season strongly and there’s not much so far to suggest major improvement.

I guess we will need to wait until the league is underway to see whether you are as good as you appear to think you are. Personally, I’d be worried and a few of your own clubs posters appear to agree…..

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I can’t compare you over a season but having seen Annan four times last season and shambolic Stenny today you are way behind. 
As you say, today was of little relevance to Stenny but you didn’t finish last season strongly and there’s not much so far to suggest major improvement.

I guess we will need to wait until the league is underway to see whether you are as good as you appear to think you are. Personally, I’d be worried and a few of your own clubs posters appear to agree…..

We'll have one of the lowest budgets in the league. No Warriors fan thinks we'll be anything other than at best, fairly close to the relegation places. We lost 6-1 to Clyde last year and looked like a tier 3 West of Scotland side. We were horrendous today. Two weeks ago we scudded the Highland league champions. Reading too much into one game is pointless.

2 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

We'll have one of the lowest budgets in the league. No Warriors fan thinks we'll be anything other than at best, fairly close to the relegation places. We lost 6-1 to Clyde last year and looked like a tier 3 West of Scotland side. We were horrendous today. Two weeks ago we scudded the Highland league champions. Reading too much into one game is pointless.

Except I haven’t. I’ve said you need to have more in your locker. If you do you’ll probably scrape through. 
If you don’t……

14 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Where am I saying we are particularly good? You are just making that up. I am saying we should hold no fear about mixing it and competing with Annan, Kelty, Dumbarton etc. surely that isn't difficult to comprehend?

Why would I be worried because other people have differing opinions to me?

We were rotten today by all accounts and you are entitled to your opinion based on that but for me will hold no relevance on how we do in the league. 

I'm fairly optimistic about the league 1 campaign. 

Like Neilly, I can't see the reason for doom and gloom.

We all know the team needs some reinforcements. Naysmith knows that too. However, there's not one team in league 1 that are the level of Falkirk were and we have nothing to be afraid of. 

It's going to be a tough season and no doubt we'll probably take a couple of suddings along the way. However, we do have a decent calibre of player for this league and will be able to compete, in order to stay up.

Got to hope the players stay determined, push themselves and build on their confidence. 

Also... we beat Cowdenbeath in a friendly 😅. So, 2 wins 😅

Watched the highlights and we were not good but certainly question marks over the 3rd and 4th goals. Third looked like hand used and 4th looked like a foul on our player as the Falkirk player jumped.  Immaterial we were certainly not good enough and we badly need a forward.

19 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Watched the highlights and we were not good but certainly question marks over the 3rd and 4th goals. Third looked like hand used and 4th looked like a foul on our player as the Falkirk player jumped.  Immaterial we were certainly not good enough and we badly need a forward.

MacIver was pushed to the ground for the third so it would have been another penalty. Big Hendo got up well for the 4th never a foul. Good to give you mob a hiding, should have been a lot more. 

Your brick is still looking lovely by the way, must give you immense pride that a member of your family has the sense to support the big team in the area 🤣

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

MacIver was pushed to the ground for the third so it would have been another penalty. Big Hendo got up well for the 4th never a foul. Good to give you mob a hiding, should have been a lot more. 

Your brick is still looking lovely by the way, must give you immense pride that a member of your family has the sense to support the big team in the area 🤣

Wondered how long it would take for you to make an appearance!  Still wearing the navy tinted glasses I see.

Have a good season.

4 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Buchanan didn’t even complain for the 4th. Even he knew he got caught underneath it and Hendo was up way before him