Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yes lads! Here we are, scrabbling about in the muck and the mire of League 2, back in the basement division after eight years away. I'm looking forward to the season ahead and interacting with our counterparts from across the league, from thick-as-f**k trolls like JakeSAFC to tiresome teens like berwick-the-unbeatable and Yellow Feet, from world-class posters like David W and Mr Blobby to the Nanna fans and their crude use of the English language.

It's going to be tremendous fun.

You've summed it up perfectly.

36 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

You's have apparently signed Scott McLaughlin from us 

I'll wait till this is confirmed but this doesn't appear to be a very inspiring piece of business. By all accounts he was pretty slow and ponderous with Clyde last season and I'm not sure what he'll bring to this Stenhousemuir team other than experience.

Stenny have made some impressive signings so far but Mclaughlin would be a huge step in the wrong direction. Was very poor for Clyde and seemed to lack any desire or heart to battle away in the middle of the pitch. The majority of games seemed to pass him by and allowed the opposition to dominate the midfield area. We had to resort to route one football due to having him and the equally ineffective Sean Higgins in the middle of the park.

I would need a better source than a poster called BullyWeeLad to be honest. 

I don't understand how a player who struggled for an absolutely dog shit Clyde team is going to be on the radar of the league favourites.

There are a number of players we're waiting to hear from:

Stephen Stirling
As mentioned above, Stirling would be a tremendous asset in League 2 and would form a handy partnership in midfield with Nathan Blockley. He always looks to put his foot on the ball and drive the team forward. There are, however, some doubts about his fitness but with a solid summer behind him, he could make a success of himself. Whether or not he wants to play in League 2 is another matter.

Mason Robertson
I can't imagine we've much chance of holding onto Robertson. I imagine he'll be looking for full-time football and, given we've signed the Dunlop brothers and David Marsh, we've mitigated against his departure already. A damn shame as well - when we moved him to centre-back, Robertson looked like one of the best in League 1 and he would have waltzed through the fourth tier.

Ciaran Summers
Although he experienced a stop-start season last year, Summers would be a fine asset this season. He's got all the tools to be a good left-back but he really needs a strong campaign under his belt - he hasn't really been the same player since his injury midway through 2015/16. He seems like a nice guy, he's well regarded around the club and popular with the support, so I'd like him to stay.

David Crawford
Crawford might be worth keeping on but purely as our reserve goalkeeper. He was a minor upgrade on Colin McCabe last season but he didn't really do enough to convince me he deserves to be number 1. If he stays or goes I wouldn't be fussed either way.

Carlos Mazana-Martinez
Although he might have scored one of the best goals I've ever seen in the flesh, I'm not sure Mazana-Martinez deserves being kept on next season. I can't remember him influencing any games last year, when starting or coming off the bench. He was probably cheap and might be worth hanging onto as a squad player. He'll probably be spending the next four months in Spain anyway so if he does return, it won't be until October or November.

Hope summers stays. Good attacking outlet and he can defend as well. He could play at a higher level than league one or two in my opinion but as FF mentions above he really needs to have a solid season and get back to the form he showed a few years ago. Hopefully it's with us. 

Just saw that goodwillie has signed with Clyde. That's a good signing and if he can keep his head down and concentrate on his football he could easily be the best striker in the league. Always thought he looked a cracking player when he was younger it's a shame that trouble always seems to follow him around and his lifestyle choices haven't led to him fufilling the massive potential he had when he was at Dundee utd. 

Was one of our better players the season before to be honest,

No he wasn't.

He looked slightly better when Easton played but other than that he was poor for his entire time at Clyde.

Stenny can look forward to watching a player that is slow, off the pace, rarely plays a cutting pass, rarely tackles and delivers poor corners.

He can on occasion hit a terrific free kick into the top corner.

He was a chief culprit in Clyde's disastrous season.

27 minutes ago, Jimbo21 said:

Just saw that goodwillie has signed with Clyde. That's a good signing and if he can keep his head down and concentrate on his football he could easily be the best striker in the league. Always thought he looked a cracking player when he was younger it's a shame that trouble always seems to follow him around and his lifestyle choices haven't led to him fufilling the massive potential he had when he was at Dundee utd. 

Goodwillie is an absolute arsehole of a boy. Always has been and always will be. To be playing for Clyde at this stage in his career is an absolute travesty with his football talent. Even I would be embarrassed to be playing for Clyde just now and I've never played 11 a side football for about 15 years.

Regarding Summers and Stirling we would certainly be stronger with them I like both guys and they have a lot to offer especially in this tin pot league. If they do sign on though we really need them to show their ability consistently they have been too hit and miss for too long. Injuries obviously have played a big part but a fit version of the two guys should mean they are two of the best players in their respective positions for this league.

As for McLaughlin I have never rated him but I doubt he gets a game anyway. He will get my support like any other maligned player we sign but let's just see first I'm certainly not convinced this is true.

13 hours ago, Neilly said:

I would need a better source than a poster called BullyWeeLad to be honest. 

I don't understand how a player who struggled for an absolutely dog shit Clyde team is going to be on the radar of the league favourites.

There's no way we would be interested in signing McLaughlin. One of the worst players ever to play for us and that's saying something given the dross we had last season.

Meanwhile Mason Robertson has allegedly verbally agreed to sign for us.

53 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Goodwillie is an absolute arsehole of a boy. Always has been and always will be. To be playing for Clyde at this stage in his career is an absolute travesty with his football talent. 

Canny really disagree with that either.