Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

On 21/07/2023 at 23:18, Ianiesta8 said:

Many thanks for the kind words

We're still trying to find our feet this season and had a few issues along the way, but we're in a strong place, have a really talented, dedicated and enthusiastic team and have some really big ideas for the season. We have the documents, the strategy and planning processes in place that would improve a full time club

We brought in Connor Ferguson from Cowdenbeath to lead our matchday media team and he's crushing it with the ideas and plans that he has, so stay tuned. No doubt you'll have already seen a sharp rise in matchday media content. This is driven by Connor who is determined to drive on and make us the best

We've also brought in Rennie Hamilton who will help us pull the club and community closer together and a lot of the community stuff that you're already seeing is coming from Rennie, so it's good to see that it's having the desired effect

We have two of the best photographers in the league in Aaron Marshall and Raymond Davies who know exactly what we're looking for and are always in the right place at the right. Along with the community, we want to bring the fans in closer to the club and use that passion that you guys show every week in our media content. So if you see the guys pointing a camera at you, make sure you bring the passion that we want to get across to everyone else!

We're also pleased to welcome Chris MacMillan to the team this week. Chris was Dumbarton TV commentator last season and he'll join us as our matchday commentator as well as interviewer, potential podcast host, and will become the voice of The Warriors

There are still a few bits that we need to iron out though as we get used to working with each other. We've invested in some new equipment, in particular, microphones and lighting to help us produce the best interview. We're also looking to take that extra step in our matchday highlights packages, which have been neglected a bit. We are looking for a videographer to help us avoid having to use Pixellot, so if anyone is keen to join, or knows anyone that's interested, please send them our way. It's not a skilled position, but it's vital to help us achieve our goals

As always, if anyone has any ideas on how we can improve, let's hear it in a constructive way

Thanks, Ian

Ahh, you can't hide money... 💰 

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

Bilham injured. I think Gary would be as well registering himself for Tuesday and playing. That's an utterly bizarre thing to say with two weeks to go until the real stuff but the Alloa game is a dead rubber now and we can't afford anymore injuries.

We have acquited ourselves well in the group but I can't remember ever being so low on numbers heading into a season at this stage. Where is this infamous database of players we have? Are we just waiting on loans?

Hopefully it comes together but the last few signings in Bilham and Lynch are clearly in the lower end of the wage budget. We aren't going to get sufficient quality to bolster the squad if we are looking along the same lines. 

Will the new strip be ready for the first league game? I'm sure it isn't for the want of trying but everything  seems a bit chaotic as we approach the league games.

This summer reminds me of the preparations for the doomed 2016/17 campaign in League 1. We had some decent players in our first XI - Fraser Kerr, Ross Meechan, Kieran Millar, Vincent Berry - but a lack of resources and slow recruitment saw us bolster the squad late in the day with jobbers from the Forth Valley Football Academy (Grant Hamilton, Liam McMaster, Calum Runciman - all the stars!) The season started badly, with the team falling well behind the competition, and reinforcements arrived too late to prevent relegation.

It's hard to believe we're less than two weeks away from the first league game of the season with a squad of just 16 players. The team deserve a lot of credit with how they've performed throughout the League Cup group stages so far but it's not sustainable and we're already stretched beyond belief after just three matches. I really hope that Gary Naysmith can secure some high-quality loans, or that Martin Christie's scouting network can identify an unheralded superstar, otherwise it's looking grim. Neilly's right - guys like Kinlay Bilham and Edin Lynch were only ever signed to bump up the numbers and if the two or three players we bring in are of a similar standard, we're on the cards for another mid-table finish.

I'm also going to assume we're working on a smaller budget compared with last season. I realised this when we signed Lynch, the Farmfoods choc ice of football players.

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm also going to assume we're working on a smaller budget compared with last season.

While the trip to Jersey may be good for team building I cannot understand why , when the squad is so small and lacking in areas, that the money being spent on this trip may have been better utilised in strengthening the squad. 

At the moment a couple of injuries and a suspension never mind someone under performing will leave us badly exposed. Hopefully there will be some quality added before the opening fixture.

Had high hopes for this season, can only hope they are not going to be dashed again.

35 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

While the trip to Jersey may be good for team building I cannot understand why , when the squad is so small and lacking in areas, that the money being spent on this trip may have been better utilised in strengthening the squad. 

I believe the Jersey hierarchy have paid for this trip so no expense for us or effecting the playing budget.

3 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

At the moment a couple of injuries and a suspension never mind someone under performing will leave us badly exposed. Hopefully there will be some quality added before the opening fixture.

Had high hopes for this season, can only hope they are not going to be dashed again.

your way off with this. every interview naysmith says hes wanting to bring 2 or 3 in so the money is there. the interview after saturday he said he doesnt want to bring just anybody in. as neily said, i hear a deal has been done on the costs of the trip any way

2 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

your way off with this. every interview naysmith says hes wanting to bring 2 or 3 in so the money is there. the interview after saturday he said he doesnt want to bring just anybody in. as neily said, i hear a deal has been done on the costs of the trip any way

Not way off - now appreciate that the trip is sorted and financed but if we had been paying the money for it ourselves that could have been used for a higher caliber player.

Thinking we might have used a trialist or 2 in recent games, rather than playing Anderson out of position. We are talking about signing “not just any old player” but nothing ventured …

Hopefully tonight we can start Jamieson in goals, meechan right back and 1st choice centre backs - 80% of how it should be, giving some indication of how it’s going to be for the season

after early signings it has ended up a rather disjointed preseason

Edited by true fan

30 minutes ago, true fan said:

Thinking we might have used a trialist or 2 in recent games, rather than playing Anderson out of position. We are talking about signing “not just any old player” but nothing ventured …

Hopefully tonight we can start Jamieson in goals, meechan right back and 1st choice centre backs - 80% of how it should be, giving some indication of how it’s going to be for the season

after early signings it has ended up a rather disjointed preseason

Trialists are prohibited from appearing in League Cup matches.

7 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Trialists are prohibited from appearing in League Cup matches.

Yes, and obviously whoever determined this rule wasn't considering the outcome for part-time clubs going from pre-season into competitive action against full-time teams.  I doubt there will be many teams not carrying some injured players into the league campaign.

It's too rigid a rule and at the least needs reviewed.

Didn't know that, thanks

What a stupid rule. Smaller clubs turn their squad over to greater extent than higher tier teams, so go into the league cup with a team where players are less familiar with each other. That's why (St Johnstone result apart) we do very badly every year. Its just a warm up event really.

Chance of bit of a run in Scottish cup later on when team has 'gelled' a bit.

How very SPFL

Unless we are taking a rake of trialists then surely we have to consider calling the friendly off on Friday in our current state.

I just can't see the value in the game we can barely field a team and playing boys with niggles is verging on lunacy.

What exactly does amateur mean with regards to terms and conditions?
Can be paid expenses? Expenses but no salary allowed? Can be terminated more easily by us, for example if injured?
we can’t hold on to them if another offer comes their way? We can’t sell them?

just wondering

I’m guessing trialists will be keen on free trip to jersey

After extensive overnight research the main thrust of amateur status is expenses only and automatic release at end of season. Not sure about ending links mid-season

Hope we make it to jersey. Without playing anybody whose fitness is in doubt we can involve amateurs, trialists or short term loans. We can frame it as a squad building exercise, result doesn’t matter. Pulling out now would be embarrassing, ungracious towards the hosts and most of all would instil an air of negativity within the club right before the league campaign starts