How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

Good News for folks in Tayside, Dundee to Amsterdam link becomes more likely:

http://dundee.stv.tv/articles/1327008-dundee-airport-to-amsterdam-in-regional-air-connectivity-fund-shortlist/

Brilliant. It means it's easier for Ajax staff and supports to fly over and learn football from The Dees ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm sitting in Spoons at the airport just now. Went through in 5 minutes, no hassle what so ever.

Newcastle airport was worse but that's with the crowds going to Majorca.

Saying that, I'm surrounded by Celtic supporters wearing scarfs, the hearing is on and the smell is affecting my brioche and flat white :(

Leaving Edinburgh is much better now, security is pretty slick even at peak times.

Coming back from international is pish though, went from attached walkway to outside to back inside to find massive queues today and hardly any border fuckers on, and they've removed the self scan gates.

The bags took ages even after the wait to get through security. Hopefully only temporary as it doesn't look finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Flew back in this morning to Edinburgh and after 26 hours on 3 planes the last thing i needed was to find that since i last used it in September they now appear to have moved international arrivals into a piss poor extension and removed all of the self scan facilities.

I got into New Zealand and Australia with a UK passport simply by scanning but upon arrival in my home country its now devolved back to handing the passport over to a man in a booth, shocking stuff.

Hopefully its just a temporary issue as judging by the state of the arrivals hall it looks to just be a an interim solution, no way that can be the long term solution.

Edited by drs

We came of our flight from Doha on Saturday and had to go outside before going into an arrivals Hall with 5 toilet cubicles (one for men)

Then had 1000 cigarettes confiscated as our unpaid duty would cause the British economy to crash.

Flew back in this morning to Edinburgh and after 26 hours on 3 planes the last thing i needed was to find that since i last used it in September they now appear to have moved international arrivals into a piss poor extension and removed all of the self scan facilities.

I got into New Zealand and Australia with a UK passport simply by scanning but upon arrival in my home country its now devolved back to handing the passport over to a man in a booth, shocking stuff.

Hopefully its just a temporary issue as judging by the state of the arrivals hall it looks to just be a an interim solution, no way that can be the long term solution.

Think it differs. I've flown into that empty hall at the far end, but I've also come through the nice bit with self scan just the other week.

Have to say other than morons unable to work the Easyjet self tagging baggage system, and the fact they put the self tagging machines right in front of the door causing a bottle neck, I thought it was a pretty smooth experience yet again.

• 4 months later...

The growth at Edinburgh has been phenomenal.

I seen today Norwegian are launching flights to Boston next year with San Fran, DC and New York also likely. Its far and away the number 1 airport in Scotland now.

The yanks just love Edinboro. You hear the c***s before you see them through there, especially during the festival.

Yeah they have a good few routes from Edinburgh as well already. Easyjet or Ryanair might be a stretch, but they serve a different clientele in that an arm of their operation is long haul unlike those two. They will pose a bigger threat I'd imagine to the likes of BA as it will save a lot of punters connecting to Heathrow, Schipol etc.

The growing number of routes from Edinburgh is pretty fucking impressive, its no wonder the airport's shite facilities can't keep up.

Got to add, I'm really liking Edinburgh airport these days. The current owners have done a fuckin good job, the route map has increased something rotten, a lot more airlines are visiting the airport increasing connectivity around the globe.

The security despite its initial failings is fantastic, always through to the other side within 5 minutes without fail! The shops are also so much better though was raging last week when I found out there was a JD Sports there and seen the trainers I bought only the night before over £10 cheaper!

Great airport, Glasgow Airport is a fuckin joke these days. Delays galore, shops are shite and the restaurants aren't up to much either. Only time you'll ever hear me praise Edinburgh over Glasgow :lol:

Aye I'd agree. Glasgow doesn't have the business traffic or the inbound tourism also that Edinburgh does so most growth will be taking shit away from Prestwick or scum routes to eastern europe or the sun.

As Aberdeen downsizes also with the oil and gas industry struggling Edinburgh will benefit from that too.

At least Glasgow has a direct service to Vegas. :lol:

Edited by Snakebite

Just picked up/dropped off the MIL there recently. Hadn't been there in a decade or more; looked alright, although finding International Arrivals 1 was a laugh. There's a sign directing you outside, then you're left entirely on your own   :lol:

I think there should be a how fuckin shite is Glasgow airport thread.

Shite destinations

Shite facilities

Understaffed

Nae rail/tram/light rail witever the f**k access

Getting stuck in a 40 minute traffic jam at peak times to get  to or from there

Edited by Snakebite

It's been quite interesting that Scotland's gone from having 2 large airports (GLA and EDI) and 2 medium sized airports (ABZ and PRK) in the last ten years to having 1 very large airport (Edinburgh) and 2 medium-large sized airports in Aberdeen and Glasgow and now 2 small-medium sized ones in INV and PRK.

It's been quite interesting that Scotland's gone from having 2 large airports (GLA and EDI) and 2 medium sized airports (ABZ and PRK) in the last ten years to having 1 very large airport (Edinburgh) and 2 medium-large sized airports in Aberdeen and Glasgow and now 2 small-medium sized ones in INV and PRK.

You aren't wrong that edinburgh has grown in the last decade and PIK/INV are now similar in terms of passenger numbers but I don't think Glasgow has gone from "large" to "medium large". Passenger numbers at Glasgow are almost identical to what they were a decade ago.