Armageddon - Three Years On

I'm sure there are sensible commercial reasons for the broadcasters to do what they've done in the past but it doesn't promote the game here - and must be fucking miserable for Rangers and Celtic fans that go to away games (and I'm not one to stick up for them very often) that need to be in Dingwall or Inverness for a midday kickoff.

It's certainly bad for Celtic fans who hardly ever see their team at 3pm on Saturday, but remember that now that clubs aren't paid for individual games, the TV deal is comparatively worse for those teams who have their home games televised through lower gates. I don't think BT televised a single St Johnstone away game this season.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly bad for Celtic fans who hardly ever see their team at 3pm on Saturday, but remember that now that clubs aren't paid for individual games, the TV deal is comparatively worse for those teams who have their home games televised through lower gates. I don't think BT televised a single St Johnstone away game this season.

The deal is bad for OF away fans - but the season ticket holders at Ibrox and Parkhead got to see their team at 3pm on a Saturday more than anyone else...

Looking at the great areas of empty seats at Parkhead every week suggests that their fans don't want to go to the games regardless of the kick off time.

That would be to the detriment of the Scottish game as a whole. Foreign players are often entertaining characters who add character and excitement to our game. Scottish players often learn a lot from them, and at a club like Celtic they can represent the additional level of quality which allows them to perform well in Europe.

Why detrimental - name any club bar Celtic that have more than 3 real quality foreign players? Yes it lets Celtic perform well in Europe but my original point was to not worry about that so that the league would be more competitive. It would also have the likely benefit of giving more Scottish players the chance to play for Celtic in European competitions which would be good for our national game.

I'd love to be able to watch more Scottish Football! Why we haven't pushed for the full Championship highlights to be on Sportscene I'll never know. Last year was the perfect time to do it but instead we got whatever games the "big three" were on TV for and a selected few others. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the lower leagues and the developmental league but can't make the DL games as they're at daft times of the day and I'm at Aberdeen games every week.

What about an internet channel? Most people have Smart TV's or you can get an Amazon stick for £35! There's a far larger potential audience now than ever before and I think it's about time it was looked into.

Scottish broadcasters are a disgrace; while you can almost understand the attitude of English centric broadcasters like SKY & BT’s old farm myopia, BBC Scotland (and previously STV) should know better; the BBC are meant to be a public service broadcaster and while audience numbers are a factor they should never be the only driver, or that public service label is a misnomer.

The lip service that BBC Scotland pay to The Rest and completely ignoring Divisions 1, 2 & 3 until Sevco paid a visit nailed their unremitting bias for all to see and although we all suspected as much anyway the last three years have not only confirmed our suspicions they’ve expanded them.

A multi-platform channel could be a boon to Scottish football if it was done right but if you leave it to commercial pressures chances are it would be another OF love-in because of the prevailing stupidity towards Scottish football; that’s why I think a government sponsored public service channel with a specific remit to talk up the whole of Scottish football is probably the only way to get a fair crack of the whip.

Once rangers eventually get back into the top flight, the TV deal will instantly return to default - ie - Sky will show every Rangers and Celtic away game on alternate weeks with no thought to what game is actually interesting that week.

When the OF was still a thing, I used to be genuinely baffled at the non-OF match choices (they seemed to be bizarrely taken with St Johnstone - Aberdeen for some reason) which seemed to be taken almost at random. It must have been the only TV deal that would ignore the actual biggest game in a weekend (Hearts or Aberdeen at Celtic Park for example) in order to show Rangers at Hamilton Accies or whatever.

I'm sure there are sensible commercial reasons for the broadcasters to do what they've done in the past but it doesn't promote the game here - and must be fucking miserable for Rangers and Celtic fans that go to away games (and I'm not one to stick up for them very often) that need to be in Dingwall or Inverness for a midday kickoff.

Sadly, you are right.

As for the choice of non-OF games it's either ignorance/couldn't care less or if you were cynical you could even suppose it was deliberate - "why don't you show more non-OF games?" "Look at the viewing figures, sport, there's no demand innit"

There's a good reason why so few games are broadcast from Parkhead (& previously Ibrox) and it's because if they showed a substantial number of games there would be even fewer folks turning up at those grounds; whatever the clubs say or their fans say if they thought they could broadcast home games and keep up the attendances we'd have had CelticTV & RangersTV for more than a decade by now.

The deal is bad for OF away fans - but the season ticket holders at Ibrox and Parkhead got to see their team at 3pm on a Saturday more than anyone else...

We only had 4 all season.

You telling me that's more than everyone else? I find that hard to believe

Why detrimental - name any club bar Celtic that have more than 3 real quality foreign players? Yes it lets Celtic perform well in Europe but my original point was to not worry about that so that the league would be more competitive. It would also have the likely benefit of giving more Scottish players the chance to play for Celtic in European competitions which would be good for our national game.

Aberdeen

Away games, the vast majority of their home games are 3pm Saturday

Scottish broadcasters are a disgrace; while you can almost understand the attitude of English centric broadcasters like SKY & BT’s old farm myopia, BBC Scotland (and previously STV) should know better; the BBC are meant to be a public service broadcaster and while audience numbers are a factor they should never be the only driver, or that public service label is a misnomer.

The lip service that BBC Scotland pay to The Rest and completely ignoring Divisions 1, 2 & 3 until Sevco paid a visit nailed their unremitting bias for all to see and although we all suspected as much anyway the last three years have not only confirmed our suspicions they’ve expanded them.

A multi-platform channel could be a boon to Scottish football if it was done right but if you leave it to commercial pressures chances are it would be another OF love-in because of the prevailing stupidity towards Scottish football; that’s why I think a government sponsored public service channel with a specific remit to talk up the whole of Scottish football is probably the only way to get a fair crack of the whip.

Agree with this 100% - the sad thing is that there was a really interesting Championship and League 1 this year that would have been worth televising much more than what happened. If the BBC in Scotland were funded for sport in anything other than the derisory way that they are at present, then they could have put together a very decent lower division show, even if it were delivered via iPlayer or on the web. They show an utter lack of imagination and innovation when it comes to Scottish Football coverage and will - seemingly for ever more - be happy with the "5 minute goals and red card package" for each Premiership game with some banal pish masquerading as analysis taking up half of the short programme.

Sorry- I was talking about previous seasons when the OF was still a thing - it was different last year.

Away games, the vast majority of their home games are 3pm Saturday

4 games. That's all we had over the course of the season.

Where does this myth come from that most of our games at home are Saturday 3pm?

4 games. That's all we had over the course of the season.

Where does this myth come from that most of our games at home are Saturday 3pm?

Maybe if you hadn't had all those Thursday Night games, eh...

Yeah this starting a week late pish needs stamped out. There should be a full Premiership card on the opening weekend, end of.

Or award the team that misses out a 3-0 victory.

Mainly because you fucked the Champions League and had a ton of league games on a Sunday after Europa League ties.

Mainly because you fucked the Champions League and had a ton of league games on a Sunday after Europa League ties.

I'm well aware of that, but it doesn't help we let our national game schedule be dictated by what is a foreign broadcaster**

** I'm also aware the clubs agreed to it, they obviously don't care about the impact on the fans.

Folk again appear to think Sky/BT actually give a toss about Scottish football. All they want is access to the Bigot Pound, a side effect of which is they have to given token coverage to the diddies.

This is where the BBC should be fulfilling their tax funded purpose by providing a proper service to the whole game of football but of course they fail in their duty and take exactly the same attitude as the commercial chaps.

Archived