Celtic European Campaign 2015/16

Henrik's tongue

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is Celtic's next EL fixture? :huh:

Ajax at home, Fener away.

I'm confident this young Celtic team, playing their progressive brand of Ronnie football, will take six four three two one zero points from this crucial double-header.

Missed this game (thankfully) as was on my travels for a Paul Heaton & Jaqui Abbott gig (which is always guaranteed to be good, unlike celtic).

Any way - I don't like you Ronny. Go away please and all the domestic papering over the cracks jobs you manage to pull off won't change my mind on this.

Incidentally, Paul Heaton was at the Raith v Falkirk game on Saturday. Hope it was a good 'un for him. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ajax at home, Fener away.

I'm confident this young Celtic team, playing their progressive brand of Ronnie football, will take six four three two one zero points from this crucial double-header.

Haha, I actually think we can beat Ajax at home, Fenerbache away is a tough one tho, be lucky to get something from that one.

Hopefully Molde feel they have a point to prove and keep up the tempo, but why would they? They get a point out of Fenerbache and they top the group. Can't see us going through even with another 6 points, the damage is already done.

I think if we win both games we're definitely through?

It would mean the best ajax could have would be 5, fenerbache 8 and us 8 but with us having a better head to head

Basically the situation. Ajax at home is a must win. Take it to the last game and it will be difficult, but not impossible.

Re what is best for Scottish football in terms of Celtic in Europe - I would imagine that Celtic consistently making the last 32 or 16 in the Europa League, having been papped out the Champions League qualifiers would be the best scenario for all non Celtic fans. It would see them tied up with an extra 10 or so games, mean the coefficient improves but not enough to get automatic CL qualification, and not bring Celtic anything like the kind of money that would make a noticeable difference to what they can afford to spend.

With regards to European performance by clubs having no affect on the national side - I think it can make a difference in terms of our attitude and approach to games. If the clubs sides are consistently shite then we will be far more negative. If the club sides are doing well we will have a bit more confidence. You also have to factor in how others will view the domestic league and what that means in terms of commercial value. If our teams consistently perform shite in Europe, fewer people will have an interest, which makes it harder to sell. If we consistently done well, it would have the opposite effect. Again, the amounts involved probably wouldn't make a massive difference to Celtic but with a more equitable split of revenue, any increas could make a massive difference to quite a few of the top division teams.

This will be a struggle. No Broonie, Commons or Bitton. I for one won't miss Johansen but it's going to be tough without the other 3.

I'd honestly sooner have lost or next 3 best players for the next few months than Broonie. Think we're really going to miss him.

Don't know who we'll stick in defensive mid for Ajax tomorrow, Mulgrew, Rogic or Armstrong I guess. Hopefully Allan gets a shot at filling the void Commons will leave but I doubt he'll get the chance.

This will be a struggle. No Broonie, Commons or Bitton. I for one won't miss Johansen but it's going to be tough without the other 3.

I'd honestly sooner have lost or next 3 best players for the next few months than Broonie. Think we're really going to miss him.

Don't know who we'll stick in defensive mid for Ajax tomorrow, Mulgrew, Rogic or Armstrong I guess. Hopefully Allan gets a shot at filling the void Commons will leave but I doubt he'll get the chance.

Mulgrew is past his best, and wasn't great at the top of his game anyway. He has been an absolute liability in big games over the last 3 seasons. If he starts I can see Celtic taking a pumping.

Mulgrew is past his best, and wasn't great at the top of his game anyway. He has been an absolute liability in big games over the last 3 seasons. If he starts I can see Celtic taking a pumping.

Yeah he's far too casual for my liking, he will pull something out the hat every now and then but can't remember the last time I saw him give 100%. Them wee aimless runs he does then just passes it to the opposition are great tho.

I really like Charlie but no sure if he's got it anymore, same wi' Stokes.

They call him a utility these days... He might play in a few positions but he's a wee bit shite at them all too. Much better in the guts than on the flanks tho.

I would play Allan & Rogic as the holding two with Armstrong, GMS & Forrest in front of them. Rogic is better in the hole but he is match-fit and could do a job as a holding midfielder as he has played there before. That to me is the most obvious of the choices. Second choice would be Allan & Mulgrew, I dont want Efe anywhere near that midfield at all.

Archived