The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’ll be in for a shock when he realises that Timmins technically isn’t our goalkeeping coach.

Evidently he will based on his quotes upon signing. Although, there's no way your Assistant Manager who is a GK coach by trade won't be getting involved in it a bit.

57 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Out of interest why was he seen as a joke figure amongst your fans? Was it due to him signing Ramsbottom? 

Just labelled as having great contacts and being some soft of super scout to then deliver Ramsbottom. Think too much was made of his scouting brief. He was here as GK coach and the keepers we had seemed to like him.

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If he is someone who can cover Strapp and a couple of midfield spots that is kinda useful for a smaller squad but hardly shouts out the "quality over quantity" approach we were led to believe was coming. 

Was about to post exactly that.

Makes no impact whatsoever on a preferred first eleven.

McPherson has maybe seven more shots at doing so.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

He was a real prospect when he broke through but had a poor last season with us. I'm expecting some sort of improvement in his game and I'm interested to see what he's like now.

Technically decent, good engine,  not a bad signing just not sure if its a good signing yet..

Largs isnae a bad day oot, and The Fish Works might be the best chippy in Scotland, but I wish we'd have a proper away day tour once this Covid pish is over. Next season I want a tour of Argyll and Bute: Dunoon Ams, Rothesay Brandane, Oban Saints and Campbeltown Pupils. Other acceptable options include Caithness and Orkney, Cornwall and North Wales and Anglesey 

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Largs isnae a bad day oot, and The Fish Works might be the best chippy in Scotland, but I wish we'd have a proper away day tour once this Covid pish is over. Next season I want a tour of Argyll and Bute: Dunoon Ams, Rothesay Brandane, Oban Saints and Campbeltown Pupils. Other acceptable options include Caithness and Orkney, Cornwall and North Wales and Anglesey 

Is anyone supposed to give a flying fcuk about your random travel wishes?

There was some talk when we signed Ledger about actually utilising him as a CB and Hynes playing RWB.

Could we see a similar setup to the Scotland one?

-----Ledger Lithgow Strapp-----

Hynes----------------------Russell

Russell was a tremendous prospect in his younger days when he broke into the 1st team at a young age. Going past players with ease he looked class.

Then he completely lost his way during the Duffy era and it was plain to see he needed to move away to get his career back on track.

I hope he has found a new enthusiasm for the game again as he could be a decent player.  

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Dunno if Strapp has the versatility for that "Tierney" role. If anything it might be the other way round with Russell coming out of defence?

Could be. Gus has already deployed Strapp forward of McGinty so Russell’s a big upgrade on that. Russell is definitely a good footballer so could fit into the “quality over quantity” philosophy.

Mark Russell was always very good going forward but Duffy didn't know where to play him and he was in and out and lost confidence. Playing in front of Strapp he should do really well and I am really pleased to have him back. I think he is still potentially a higher league player but time will tell.

49 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm going to confidently predict that whatever the plan is for the formation, Russell's not going to be playing centre back.

Indeed. Only SPFL minnows such as his former club Falkirk would think that is a good idea.

(Yes, they did indeed play him there.)

Guest Peter LaFleur
11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Indeed. Only SPFL minnows such as his former club Falkirk would think that is a good idea.

I can’t recall Russell ever playing centre back for us. Always thought he was a decent player who just never seen eye to eye with Hartley.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

40 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

I can’t recall Russell ever playing centre back for us. Always thought he was a decent player who just never seen eye to eye with Hartley.

Russell speaks really highly of Hartley, he was bombed out of the squad by McKinnon.

48 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We didn’t.

Played 3 games at the start of the season and then McKinnon had him in the reserves until the January.

Guest Peter LaFleur
4 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Russell speaks really highly of Hartley, he was bombed out of the squad by McKinnon.

You are correct. Was it something to do with how he left Morton when McKinnon was there? Again I could be wrong! I didn’t realise how little Russell actually played for us. I suspected it was Hartley purely because it was a recurring theme with players during his time.

Edited by Peter LaFleur