The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

BILLIONAIRE Greenock businessmen Sandy and James Easdale are today staying tight-lipped on links with a potential investment in Morton. 😮

image.png.c69c587b50e390545bc4fc67de154861.png

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/20161251.greenock-businessmen-sandy-james-easdale-tight-lipped-potential-morton-investment/

GT: 'Here, some sweetie womun in the toon thinks you're gonnae buy Morton, is it happnin?'

Spokesman: 'Piss off.'

Clearly no smoke without fire then!

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

BILLIONAIRE Greenock businessmen Sandy and James Easdale are today staying tight-lipped on links with a potential investment in Morton. 😮

image.png.c69c587b50e390545bc4fc67de154861.png

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/20161251.greenock-businessmen-sandy-james-easdale-tight-lipped-potential-morton-investment/

I prefer not to speak. If I speak I am in big trouble

Two year deal for Blues.

While I felt we needed to leave the space in the squad for upgrades to the starting XI and the number of midfielders already signed up along with Wilson being a bigger priority for a contract meant Blues should be released, his improvement under Imrie means I'm fine having him as cover and in isolation his performances under Imrie did merit a contract for that purpose.

Handing him a two year deal though strongly suggests he's viewed as a nailed on starter - you don't hand out contracts that length to players with no resale value otherwise - which he simply shouldn't be. If we aren't upgrading in midfield enough to have his place being the bench rather than starting then it's a worrying sign.

15 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I just hope this doesn’t hamper our chances of signing the creative midfielder we need if we want to mount any sort of challenge for a play-off position. Nicky Low would fit the bill!

The only problem is. There would have to be money paid for him. Maybe need to wait a year 

4 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I just hope this doesn’t hamper our chances of signing the creative midfielder we need if we want to mount any sort of challenge for a play-off position. Nicky Low would fit the bill!

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The only problem is. There would have to be money paid for him. Maybe need to wait a year 

If Morton’s midfield is the question, Nicky Low is not the answer.

Hi Walsall fan in peace here. We've just signed Oisin McEntee. What did you make of him on his time with you last season? We got burned with our last player signed from Scotland, the terrible Ash Taylor who was one of the worst defenders I've seen in a Walsall shirt in over 40 years. Oisin on paper looks a much better prospect. All the best next season.

50 minutes ago, Super Saddler said:

Hi Walsall fan in peace here. We've just signed Oisin McEntee. What did you make of him on his time with you last season? We got burned with our last player signed from Scotland, the terrible Ash Taylor who was one of the worst defenders I've seen in a Walsall shirt in over 40 years. Oisin on paper looks a much better prospect. All the best next season.

Should be a good signing. Did very well for us considering it was his first exposure to senior football, and I’d have happily taken him back. 

Two year deal for Muirhead. He did look like a completely different player under Imrie, though mostly off the bench. Not entirely convinced about him being a starter for us yet, but hopefully has another season of getting it right up me and playing well.

1 hour ago, Super Saddler said:

Ash Taylor is a bit of a donkey but he'd worked with Derek Mcinnes before at Aberdeen and he said the team needed more height when he was appointed so made sense. 

Mcentee has everything you need to be a success at league one/two level at least, and that's with only one season of professional football under his belt. Fast, strong, brave and good on the ball. There was no way we were ever going to be able to keep him this season. Compare that to Tom Allan who we also had on loan from Newcastle and was the one tipped as far too good for our level, who turned out to be like a lost little boy in men's football up here and got sent home early. 

I'm sure the Scottish Championship won't have a great reputation amongst some league 2 fans who have never watched it, but the majority of teams are probably around the same level quality wise as mid-table to lower league 2/top of vanorama national. 

The last player to go to league 2 from us was Nicky Cadden who's tore it up down there and was in the team of the year this season. Regan Hendry from Raith won the league this season as well, and there are plenty examples over the years of players moving from this league to England and being a success. 

It’s another case of being fine with keeping him, but not really understanding why it’s a two year deal.

I’m hoping this is an approach of balancing a relatively poor wage with the security of two year deals, enabling us to offer more to some targets who would otherwise be out of our reach and are only likely to accept one year anyway in the hope of attracting better offers after a season. The alternative is players being given two year deals as they’re going to be considered the spine of the team who we’re looking to build around for a couple of years, when they shouldn’t be considered guaranteed starters.

A better season from Muirhead last year but I still think he’s a bit of a luxury - has the talent to get you a goal when it otherwise seems unlikely, but is best-suited to coming off the bench as your third- or fourth-choice striker.

So not unhappy he remains part of the squad but depends on the other options we bring in upfront.

2 hours ago, Super Saddler said:

I was never completely sure about McEntee. He came across as a likeable, hard working young player, with good physical defensive attributes and fairly comfortable on the ball. He's still got quite a bit to learn about the game (as can be expected) and if he does that quickly then I'm sure he'll be a success and go on to have a very decent career, but he did put in some nightmarish performances - one of the final games of the season, against Hamilton, is one that particularly springs to mind. You just never know which young defenders will go onto gain that judgement and reading of the game needed and which won't. 

25 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I was never completely sure about McEntee. He came across as a likeable, hard working young player, with good physical defensive attributes and fairly comfortable on the ball. He's still got quite a bit to learn about the game (as can be expected) and if he does that quickly then I'm sure he'll be a success and go on to have a very decent career, but he did put in some nightmarish performances - one of the final games of the season, against Hamilton, is one that particularly springs to mind. You just never know which young defenders will go onto gain that judgement and reading of the game needed and which won't. 

Agree with this in general: you don't really know what you're getting with centre-halves until they're 24-25.

That said, I think McEntee has every chance of developing into a player who'll have a career in League One, maybe even Championship in his later twenties: quick enough, decent on the ball and in the air, all round good attitude.

He even had the mental fortitude to recover from our former manager sticking him out at right-back... and showed by the end of his spell with us that he was ready to play properly competitive football as a regular.

37 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Was that Hamilton game not the game he was flung in to the middle of a back three for the first time and looked lost? He was then swapped with McLean and moved out to the left and looked absolutely fine again. 

Other than that I don't really remember any other nightmarish performances from him off the top of my head or major troubles reading the game tbh.