The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Today's Greenock Telegraph. 

Thanks - just wanted to confirm which journalist/newspaper is responsible.

That "Comments since..." 'paragraph' is just utter shit-stirring. The passive voice use is instructive: comments by whom? What were the (any?) specific details of these comments? In what way do they connect to the previous point about trialist decisions (the great 'Frankie Deane' saga - yet a-fucking-gain)? No information is presented to the reader about any of those fundamental points of this 'story'. 

It's time for GMFC to start clipping the Tele's wings now. Filling up its pages with innuendo in place of its cricket commentary and funeral notices is not acceptable. 

Edited by vikingTON

The Tele is arguably the worst newspaper I've ever seen. They successfully make a whole load of something out of absolutely nothing, and often completely misrepresent what was said.

I'd much rather Morton just did a general interview with Dougie or a random player every week or two - something like that.

1 hour ago, dustybin said:

Dodds writes whatever Dougie wants him to write.  Any shit-stirring is coming from the manager himself.

Aye?

We all look forward to you posting your proof.

Edited by Chippyminton

The work rate and standards bit I don't really understand, it almost feels like a part of the article was deleted and he's accidentally left that paragraph in by mistake. 

The part about Dougie not doing media due to being unhappy about the squad/ability to offer trialists a deal will be true as he did it last summer as well during the Easdale striker/pre Dalrada era, and also Dodds clearly knows the reasons why the manager has been sending Millen to talk to him instead of doing it himself. 

1 hour ago, dustybin said:

Dodds writes whatever Dougie wants him to write.  Any shit-stirring is coming from the manager himself.

The telegraph are hardly known for keeping things in proportion.

Dougie will protest in a similar manner to last year, but shit-stirring is not good from any manager.

As last year, Dougie is can rattling.

Losing Baird is disappointing but this is what happens in a physical game.

Expect the board to be familiar with Dougie's play. Must be said we do need at lease two more players and progress in the LC would influence the standard of player we eventually attract.

Lone players are in the hit and miss category.

The Telegraph, is I am sure, a shoe string operation now and as such will print any submitted articles that don't land it in the courts.

So maybe it is time for VT to take up a residency on a once weekly basis giving us all hope there is some substance to what appears in that rag..     

3 hours ago, port-ton said:

Where's your proof that everyone is looking forward to me posting it? I'll wait. 

Cue the most shan cop-out in P&B history. This is a public forum, and by definition, anyone on here is free to post anything contentious/inflammatory with zero substantiation as they like - but when they do, and when they're an alleged supporter of the team whose forum they're posting on, they'd fucking well better have some substance behind their statements. We're both fellow Ton supporters and on that basis alone, I decline to enter into any form of handbags-at-dawn argument with you - but blowing that level of smoke insinuates that you must have some sort of fire to back it up. So me (and every other blue-and-white including the silent ones) would love to see it - I'm pretty sure of that.

Proof, please - just as I politely requested.

You have yourself a nice evening now.

1 hour ago, Chippyminton said:

Cue the most shan cop-out in P&B history. This is a public forum, and by definition, anyone on here is free to post anything contentious/inflammatory with zero substantiation as they like - but when they do, and when they're an alleged supporter of the team whose forum they're posting on, they'd fucking well better have some substance behind their statements. We're both fellow Ton supporters and on that basis alone, I decline to enter into any form of handbags-at-dawn argument with you - but blowing that level of smoke insinuates that you must have some sort of fire to back it up. So me (and every other blue-and-white including the silent ones) would love to see it - I'm pretty sure of that.

Proof, please - just as I politely requested.

You have yourself a nice evening now.

You got a shan response because it makes no difference to me whether you believe what I say or not. The tele confirmed that Imrie didn't do media for two weeks because of a disagreement with the board over signings and that's the information I have as well. 

Let's not forget that the so called rumours last summer about the budget being cut, about imrie considering leaving for Hamilton, losing the footasylum sponsorship deal we were promised at an AGM and about the dire financial situation of the club pre dalrada investment were all seen as knicker wetting until the board released a statement saying the budget was cut, that there were disagreements with Imrie, that we couldn't agree the five figure sponsorship deal that was promised and that the financial situation at the club was in a lot worse than fans thought. 

The tele article confirming it from the journalist with the media relationship with Imrie who has been sent Andy Millen to talk to for a fortnight is likely as much proof as you're going to get unless you ask Imrie directly so if you get a different answer from him then fair enough let me know. 

10 hours ago, port-ton said:

Let's not forget that the so called rumours last summer about the budget being cut, about imrie considering leaving for Hamilton, 

Except that wasn't actually the rumour being peddled at that time. It wasn't 'Dougie is considering leaving for Hamilton (who had no vacancy at that time), it was 'done deal, Dougie's off and the sky is falling in' because the fanbase sweetie wives with 'their own information' enjoy drama nearly as much as the rag local newspaper. A rumour that turned out to be utter bollocks. 

If the scale of the manager's current stand-off amounts to sending the assistant to handle interviews then that's... no problem at all. He doesn't need to do media work on the club's behalf and Millen is on the same page anyway. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that wasn't actually the rumour being peddled at that time. It wasn't 'Dougie is considering leaving for Hamilton (who had no vacancy at that time), it was 'done deal, Dougie's off and the sky is falling in' because the fanbase sweetie wives with 'their own information' enjoy drama nearly as much as the rag local newspaper. A rumour that turned out to be utter bollocks. 

If the scale of the manager's current stand-off amounts to sending the assistant to handle interviews then that's... no problem at all. He doesn't need to do media work on the club's behalf and Millen is on the same page anyway. 

You're ignoring the pretty large caveat that during that period of the rumours of him leaving and him deciding to stay we received massive external funding that allowed him to add to his squad. An investment that clearly wasn't finalised at the time the board released their statement confirming there had been disagreements with Imrie and sucked up to how understanding he'd been etc, that the budget had been cut and that the club were struggling financially under fan ownership for various reasons. 

I agree if Millen doing media duties is the only huffy thing he does the it's no big deal. I've no idea the extent of his disappointment this summer but I can't imagine it's on the scale of last summer having to play Easdale up front. 

31 minutes ago, port-ton said:

You're ignoring the pretty large caveat that during that period of the rumours of him leaving and him deciding to stay we received massive external funding that allowed him to add to his squad. An investment that clearly wasn't finalised at the time the board released their statement confirming there had been disagreements with Imrie and sucked up to how understanding he'd been etc, that the budget had been cut and that the club were struggling financially under fan ownership for various reasons. 

I agree if Millen doing media duties is the only huffy thing he does the it's no big deal. I've no idea the extent of his disappointment this summer but I can't imagine it's on the scale of last summer having to play Easdale up front. 

While I'm not making any judgement on where Imrie's head is at just now in terms of how comfortable he is with his budget or whether he's going to apply for every other job under the sun unless we get out of the League Cup group stage to allow more signings, this phrase suggests there was a genuinely credible chance of him going to Hamilton and he was definitely interested. Hamilton appointed Rankin on 28 June, we didn't get the Dalrada announcement until 19 August.

We've had plenty of credible information about last summer, both from what Imrie was saying at the time and from the board since, to know the club was in a difficult financial position and Imrie was unhappy about his budget. We've had nothing to say Imrie going to Hamilton was ever a credible prospect: that rumour entirely emanated from fans on twitter and forums panicking when rumours of Taylor leaving them started because Imrie used to play for them. There's never been any reason to believe there was more to it than 2+2=5 from panic merchants.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

You're ignoring the pretty large caveat that during that period of the rumours of him leaving and him deciding to stay we received massive external funding that allowed him to add to his squad. 

You're ignoring the logical black hole that if the sweetie wives were correct with their ITK rumour, then the Dalrada investment would have been irrelevant. He can't have already left for Hamilton and then decided to stay at the same time. 

Hence your revisionism about Imrie considering leaving, to cover for the unambiguous fail of the bullshit that was actually peddled at the time. 

14 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

While I'm not making any judgement on where Imrie's head is at just now in terms of how comfortable he is with his budget or whether he's going to apply for every other job under the sun unless we get out of the League Cup group stage to allow more signings, this phrase suggests there was a genuinely credible chance of him going to Hamilton and he was definitely interested. Hamilton appointed Rankin on 28 June, we didn't get the Dalrada announcement until 19 August.

We've had plenty of credible information about last summer, both from what Imrie was saying at the time and from the board since, to know the club was in a difficult financial position and Imrie was unhappy about his budget. We've had nothing to say Imrie going to Hamilton was ever a credible prospect: that rumour entirely emanated from fans on twitter and forums panicking when rumours of Taylor leaving them started because Imrie used to play for them. There's never been any reason to believe there was more to it than 2+2=5 from panic merchants.

Many managers, some from the very top clubs have played the 'I'm unhappy with the budget card' so it is understandable that fledgling managers will do the same. However after last season Dougie Imrie's reputation is on the up and how he manages this season will indubitably be significant as to his future prospects. We can speculate endlessly about what might or might not have happened last season. He is with us and under contract and if he wants a successful career in football management he needs to match or improve on last season.

I'm sure he knows that!

I think that Imrie knows exactly what he is doing.  Being underdogs and setting expectations low definitely suits us.  Clearly we need a couple more players in and while money is tight, we definitely have the resources to bring in another 1 or 2 plus loans.

At the same time I think his current actions are a way of putting a bit of extra pressure on the board to release some additional funds for players.  The fact that so many of us are dissecting the current situation is also putting pressure on them from the fans too.  I don’t see anything beyond this to suggest that there’s any sort of major issue behind the scenes.

Ive seen a few mentions on the Morton forum about “rumours flying about” but nobody has went to the trouble of detailing them.  Is it just the usual “budget been cut, Imrie scunnered and will be off at the first opportunity” we can expect at this time of year, or is there something else that I haven’t heard about?

Edited by Vril