The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Left field suggestion: Andy Morrison. Ex Scotland U-21 centre back. Big bruising arsehole of a player but, as manager, was also a big bruising arsehole who took Connah's Quay from the bottom of the Welsh league to back to back champions over TNS who had about 10 times their budget. Got them to the final of the Challenge Cup, including a hilarious victory of Ray McKinnon's Falkirk, and got decent results in Europe and a routine thumping of Kilmarnock with a team of farmers and Welshmen. Recently resigned from the club, no need to pay compo, worth a shot?

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Left field suggestion: Andy Morrison. Ex Scotland U-21 centre back. Big bruising arsehole of a player but, as manager, was also a big bruising arsehole who took Connah's Quay from the bottom of the Welsh league to back to back champions over TNS who had about 10 times their budget. Got them to the final of the Challenge Cup, including a hilarious victory of Ray McKinnon's Falkirk, and got decent results in Europe and a routine thumping of Kilmarnock with a team of farmers and Welshmen. Recently resigned from the club, no need to pay compo, worth a shot?

Could be..

Read his book, a hardy bassa..

the type of manager you'd LISTEN to..

Andy's a phenomenal guy. Only thing hampering him taking a job in Scotland would be a role he has as fan ambassador / corporate host at Man City where he was throughout his time managing in the Welsh leagues. I believe he's based in the Lake District so communtable (Dobbie was in NW England when playing at QoS).

I think he'd be a very good choice if he wanted to come, and would certainly not tolerate poor standards either in fitness or training.

Long podcast focused on his time at Nomads here with the Sgorio team here. Comes across very well.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Andy's a phenomenal guy. Only thing hampering him taking a job in Scotland would be a role he has as fan ambassador / corporate host at Man City where he was throughout his time managing in the Welsh leagues. I believe he's based in the Lake District so communtable (Dobbie was in NW England when playing at QoS).

I think he'd be a very good choice if he wanted to come, and would certainly not tolerate poor standards either in fitness or training.

Long podcast focused on his time at Nomads here with the Sgorio team here. Comes across very well.

BIG difference commuting as a player and as a manager.

And Greenock is a lot further from NW England than Dumfries. 

He'd have to delegate scouting, training, media, etc to someone else, then attend pretty much only on match days. Which means that someone else is effectively doing his job.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good appointment, just an unrealistic one.

14 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, Rutkiewicz may well apply but rage quitting a League Two club with a statement full of excuses after four successive defeats and six without a win doesn't scream 'stepping up to the Championship imminently' to me.

The board literally handed a two year deal to a gormless fitba man in the summer so I wouldn't be so convinced about that.

Until the likes of Rice and Rutkiewicz are safely employed at an appropriate, minnow outfit like 'Falkirk' then they're in the running. 

It certainly puts the board under pressure, as appointing yet another haddy 'fitba man' off the merry-go-round will impress (next to) nobody and they can't play the 'well nobody else wants to manage us' card either. 

The recruitment process needs to show some ambition and/or imagination to revive goodwill for the fan ownership project. Rajamaki wouldn't be at the top of the list (phone Warnock) but is miles above a Rice or Rutkiewicz. Even if the latter produced a modest improvement in first team performance, I don't see how they can lead and unite the club and the fanbase in the years to come. We'd probably be in the exact same boat in twelve months' time. 

Edited by vikingTON