The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

39 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

What specifically is incorrect in what I said?

99% of your mewlings are incorrect, so let's dive in for just one fucking nonsense point. 

My point is tho it was a rebuilding time. We had a guy there who had proven he could build a good team. 

Erm no, this is utter revisionism. Duffy was already given an enhanced budget in the summer of 2017 to consolidate the team's 4th place finish from the previous season. Duffy failed to do this. With more money, he built a poorer squad that slumped to a lower midtable finish. 

The question on the table then in the summer of 2018 was not in fact rebuilding - it was progress, plain and simple. Should the club entrust another generous budget to Jim Duffy to squander on the likes of Kudus Oyenuga, or appoint a new manager instead? The club correctly chose to upgrade that summer - and despite all the fallout of the following campaign, they still finished higher in the league table than in Duffy's last campaign. 

The subsequent exit of Golden Casket from the season and predictable, long-due turmoil that this has caused has got nothing to do with Jim Duffy's removal in 2018 and there's zero evidence that he would have been up to the challenges of the past two years. 

Thanks for playing anyway.  

14 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yes, those lofty 2 positions higher than his worst season. And then we have slowly fallen to pieces.

I wonder what could possibly explain this:

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/17947895.morton-chairman-crawford-rae-unacceptable-losses/

Mr Rae succeeded his father as MD of the family business in 2017 before taking over at Morton last year.

Shortly after becoming chairman at Cappielow, he announced that Golden Casket would no longer prop up Morton.

He axed a three year promotion plan and instead embarked on a programme of cutbacks to help balance the books.

Mr Rae said he could no longer allow the company to take the hit for losses incurred by the football club as it impacts on the livelihoods of staff who work at the sweetie factory.

In response, supporters' group Morton Club Together was launched in June this year to help raise fresh capital for the playing squad, write off the £2.5m debt pile owed to Golden Casket and start the ball rolling on a fan ownership model at Cappielow.

Have you been living in a box of straw for the past three years? 

Edited by vikingTON

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

I wonder what could possibly explain this:

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/17947895.morton-chairman-crawford-rae-unacceptable-losses/

Have you been living in a box of straw for the past three years? 

Thats an awful long lot of shite, if you can't admit you got it wrong fair enough. Continue being a wee fanny.

19 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Thats an awful long lot of shite, if you can't admit you got it wrong fair enough. Continue being a wee fanny.

So ends your precious wee attempt at telling truth to power - in a flood of your own salty tears as usual. 

Next. 

Just now, virginton said:

So ends your precious wee attempt at telling truth to power - in a flood of your own salty tears as usual. 

Next. 

Sure

So your absolutely happy we got rid of our best and most successful manager in a long time. The only one to build an exciting team.

Despite replacing him with a never ending line of terrible managers.

I've always liked Duffy, but he had clearly run out of ideas and his time was most definitely up when he left.

Why the sudden attempt to re-write history? As @Dunning1874 says, just because we're pish now doesn't mean we'd be less pish if we'd held on to Duffy. We're pish because of what's happened since, simple as that; and we'll stay pish unless the people running the club can pull a good decision out of their arses regarding the next manager and make material changes to the way the club operates.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I've always liked Duffy, but he had clearly run out of ideas and his time was most definitely up when he left.

Why the sudden attempt to re-write history? As @Dunning1874 says, just because we're pish now doesn't mean we'd be less pish if we'd held on to Duffy. We're pish because of what's happened since, simple as that; and we'll stay pish unless the people running the club can pull a good decision out of their arses regarding the next manager and make material changes to the way the club operates.

Im not attempting to re-write anything, Duffy did well for us.

Your opinion is he had ran out of ideas which is fair enough. But im assuming neither of us know the guy personally so we can't say for sure one way or another.

My cousin (celtic fan) did meet him a while ago and spoke to him. Where Duffy honestly said he felt like the morton fans hated him.

Which is a pretty sad thing for one of our better ex managers to have this feeling.

30 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Im not attempting to re-write anything, Duffy did well for us.

Your opinion is he had ran out of ideas which is fair enough. But im assuming neither of us know the guy personally so we can't say for sure one way or another.

My cousin (celtic fan) did meet him a while ago and spoke to him. Where Duffy honestly said he felt like the morton fans hated him.

Which is a pretty sad thing for one of our better ex managers to have this feeling.

My sense that he had run out of ideas has nothing to do with knowing or not knowing him personally; everything to do with what we saw on the park in his last season and a half (not to mention some truly terrible recruitment).

I never understood the negativity when he was appointed, or the heavy criticism as he took us through the tricky first season getting out of L1, and was beyond pleased when he eventually got us going... but it's a stretch to imagine we'd be in better nick if he'd stayed on.

Quite aside from his limitations as a manger (cf. Dumbarton, Ayr), every personal reflection I've ever heard about him confirms what we knew when he played for us... honest, intelligent, loyal guy. Your cousin might want to tell him that most Morton fans have a lot of time for him, despite how it ended.

But would I take him now? No.

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Sure

So your absolutely happy we got rid of our best and most successful manager in a long time. The only one to build an exciting team.

Despite replacing him with a never ending line of terrible managers.

You can have him back if you want. Will likely be available in the next few weeks. 

On 14/12/2021 at 09:59, BingMcCrosby said:

Anyone remember when Jim Duffy got the job? Took us up in his first year, consolidated and kept us safe in the championship the next year finishing 5th.

3rd year had our best season in recent times, finishing 4th had some cracking players and was awarded championship manager of the year.

The next year with morton sitting a safe 7th some fans wanted him sacked, despite not one at the time being able to suggest an alternative. 

They got their way and since then we have been in terminal decline.

And alot of these football experts still post. 

Yes, but lets be honest you're using a heavy amount of gloss here.

I remember he took us up only on the last day of the 2014/2015 season only turning around a woeful campaign (including a shameful cup exit to Spartans) by some inspired January window manoeuvres. 

The consolidation year was great, no complaints there and didn't expect much more but the 3rd season he had us in a position to actually be in a with a shout of winning the league!!  He then presided over a final quarter of only 3 draws in 9 games (3 points out of 36) and we eventually scraped into the play-offs where it was clear the team had chucked it.  To this day I still can't understand how the he and team manged to lose such momentum and the chance to be club legends!

The season finishing 7th he was actually only 2 points worse off than the previous which shows how the league got that bit tougher.  Again though, he still was in a play-off position going into the final quarter where he only managed wins against Brechin and Dumbarton, resulting in us tumbling down the league and losing a significant amount much need prize funds!

Despite how those last 2 seasons ended I remember most of Duffy's tenure fondly and would gladly shake the big mans hand if I ever had the chance of meeting him!  Lets be honest a trip to Hampden is something Morton fans may never get again the way things are going.

Would I have him back now?  Not a chance.

On 14/12/2021 at 09:59, BingMcCrosby said:

Anyone remember when Jim Duffy got the job? Took us up in his first year, consolidated and kept us safe in the championship the next year finishing 5th.

3rd year had our best season in recent times, finishing 4th had some cracking players and was awarded championship manager of the year.

The next year with morton sitting a safe 7th some fans wanted him sacked, despite not one at the time being able to suggest an alternative. 

They got their way and since then we have been in terminal decline.

And alot of these football experts still post. 

Stop stating facts. 

On 14/12/2021 at 11:02, BingMcCrosby said:

No problem it was a while ago I had to look it up myself.

My point is tho it was a rebuilding time. We had a guy there who had proven he could build a good team. But we binned him for the complete unknown.

We cant go back and say how would Duffy had done. But I think it was the wrong decision. And its hard to argue now that it wasn't.

* Edit, thanks for the clowns who pushed for it identifying themselves with the red dots 👍

Duffy was hampered by having to rebuild the team every season due to the 1 year contracts.

As you say, he’d earned the chance of another bite at it.