The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

7 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I wasn't being serious you silly goose. Bit  weird you defended the flag part so passionately but weren't offended by the nazi salute comment. 

Dundee remove fans' banner from Dens Park after storm over 'fascist insignia' (thecourier.co.uk)

I wonder which group they are a part of?

On 06/05/2023 at 10:52, MORleyTON said:

To miss out on a playoff spot by GD is is a sore one (and it had to be by fucking 10 pts didn't it) and I'd be laughing if it was us that squeezed in too.

But we were written off at the start, expected to be relegated with the budget we had and a new fan-owned model in place.

6pts behind first place, the second best games lost ratio, debt free and a solid foundation of a 1st 11 team in place for next season and finally rid of shite patter from Dundee fans. Not a bad consolation prize. 

Bring on GTF Day.

Thank you.

Bit of revisionist theory from Ton fans here, one of the sites stattos went thru the prediction thread and you were generally predicted to finish 7th/8th - congrats anyway on finishing 5th!

Based on everyone's predictions, the league table looks like this 

1. Dundee
2. Partick Thistle
3. ICT
4. Raith Rovers
5. Arbroath
6. Queen's Park
7. Morton
8. Ayr Utd
9. Cove Rangers
10. Hamilton

Most predicted place for each team

1st  Dundee  (68)
2nd  Partick Th (40)
3rd  ICT (45)
4th Arbroath (27)
5th  Raith (28)
5th  Queen's Park (20)
8th  Morton (22)
9th  Ayr Utd (30)
10th  Cove Rangers (24)
10th  Hamilton (44)

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, btb said:

Bit of revisionist theory from Ton fans here, one of the sites stattos went thru the prediction thread and you were generally predicted to finish 7th/8th - congrats anyway on finishing 5th!

1. Dundee
2. Partick Thistle
3. ICT
4. Raith Rovers
5. Arbroath
6. Queen's Park
7. Morton
8. Ayr Utd
9. Cove Rangers
10. Hamilton

1st  Dundee  (68)
2nd  Partick Th (40)
3rd  ICT (45)
4th Arbroath (27)
5th  Raith (28)
5th  Queen's Park (20)
8th  Morton (22)
9th  Ayr Utd (30)
10th  Cove Rangers (24)
10th  Hamilton (44)

Thanks were it is due, it was disappointing based on the circumstances on the final places following the run we had mid season, but I and others still feel this is a good season.

Also fair play to whomever went back and worked that all out. I thought more to be honest had us further down.

I wouldn't say it was revisionist though as most media outlets (papers, radio etc) had us down as relegation candidates, as well as a sizeable proportion on here. Additionally there was the same feelings within our own fan base. I wasn't saying that it was solely based on P&B that we were written off.

Edited by MORleyTON
Typo

On 06/05/2023 at 11:15, virginton said:

We lost about ten injury time goals over the season; 

Did you say 10?

IMG_1712.jpeg.11340dfcf8c1d2fca307b86907891e3e.jpeg

IMG_1713.jpeg.07a56ac50998c569f2357af976b8603a.jpeg

IMG_1714.webp.7d1d6e6d26d36b911f3f2c37d0e909d5.webp

IMG_1575.jpeg.2cac5f44ed50b4c78fa3921c9744e41c.jpeg

IMG_1716.webp

IMG_1715.webp

4 hours ago, port-ton said:

I wasn't being serious you silly goose. Bit  weird you defended the flag part so passionately but weren't offended by the nazi salute comment. 

Perhaps because there wasn't one?

You obviously don't have clue either about my political views.

We started the season with a budget which has openly been described by the club's financial director as "a relegation budget", lost to a Clyde side in the League Cup who would go on to only win 5 games all season in League One, and at the start of October after 8 games we were in 8th place with 8 points, having just taken a 5-1 pumping.

We were clearly in a relegation battle at that point, as we were widely expected to be, and to end up in 5th place with 57 points means we've comfortably surpassed expectations. That turnaround on the park, along with the club getting its act together off it, is why you're mostly seeing optimism and you won't find a Morton fan calling this season anything other than a success. I expected to feel gutted for days if we ended up missing out narrowly but was surprised to be able to shrug it off within minutes of the final whistle, pretty much by the time I was walking out the ground, and look forward to next season with the many positives that come out of this campaign.

The club is in a completely different financial position to last summer, we are making a profit this season and the commercial side of things is improving further. Where that financial situation meant we ended 2022/23 with pretty much only a handful of youth players under contract, the majority of our strongest XI are already under contract for next season now and that's a platform to avoid having a poor start to the season again. Two of our best performers in Grimshaw and Robbie Crawford didn't sign until the season was well underway, Muirhead also missed a big chunk of pre-season and there were a lot of new signings needing to gel while we lacked depth generally. This time we should have the core of the squad ready to hit the ground running.

Having lost 4 of those first 8 games, we then only lost 5 of the next 28. Only Dundee took more points in that time. We can go into next season knowing that if we avoid a slow start we'll have a strong shot at the playoffs.

Of course this can all easily go tits up if Imrie leaves and his performance will undoubtedly have attracted attention, but really the only reason for negativity at the moment is superstition that next season is a 3/4 and the last three of those have been banter years. We'll only be able to say for sure this time next year, but right now it feels more like a platform to build on than a missed opportunity.

On 08/05/2023 at 16:40, btb said:

1. Dundee
2. Partick Thistle
3. ICT
4. Raith Rovers
5. Arbroath
6. Queen's Park
7. Morton
8. Ayr Utd
9. Cove Rangers
10. Hamilton

1st  Dundee  (68)
2nd  Partick Th (40)
3rd  ICT (45)
4th Arbroath (27)
5th  Raith (28)
5th  Queen's Park (20)
8th  Morton (22)
9th  Ayr Utd (30)
10th  Cove Rangers (24)
10th  Hamilton (44)

That may be an accurate reflection of opinions on this site, however before the season started Morton were the favourites with various bookmakers for relegation.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Calvin Miller offered an extension. Happy with that as I thought he came onto a game. 

Are we still talking about Nicky Low? Free agent now? 

Can't see how he'd fit into our system but I could be wrong.

Is NL not injury prone, pt is his best option elsewhere.

CM ok has done well in recent games DI must think he can up his game on rate.

As an aside did Cove not do highlights or where they lost in the fog or binned with their Championship status?

On 08/05/2023 at 21:57, Dunning1874 said:

We started the season with a budget which has openly been described by the club's financial director as "a relegation budget", lost to a Clyde side in the League Cup who would go on to only win 5 games all season in League One, and at the start of October after 8 games we were in 8th place with 8 points, having just taken a 5-1 pumping.

We were clearly in a relegation battle at that point, as we were widely expected to be, and to end up in 5th place with 57 points means we've comfortably surpassed expectations. That turnaround on the park, along with the club getting its act together off it, is why you're mostly seeing optimism and you won't find a Morton fan calling this season anything other than a success. I expected to feel gutted for days if we ended up missing out narrowly but was surprised to be able to shrug it off within minutes of the final whistle, pretty much by the time I was walking out the ground, and look forward to next season with the many positives that come out of this campaign.

The club is in a completely different financial position to last summer, we are making a profit this season and the commercial side of things is improving further. Where that financial situation meant we ended 2022/23 with pretty much only a handful of youth players under contract, the majority of our strongest XI are already under contract for next season now and that's a platform to avoid having a poor start to the season again. Two of our best performers in Grimshaw and Robbie Crawford didn't sign until the season was well underway, Muirhead also missed a big chunk of pre-season and there were a lot of new signings needing to gel while we lacked depth generally. This time we should have the core of the squad ready to hit the ground running.

Having lost 4 of those first 8 games, we then only lost 5 of the next 28. Only Dundee took more points in that time. We can go into next season knowing that if we avoid a slow start we'll have a strong shot at the playoffs.

Of course this can all easily go tits up if Imrie leaves and his performance will undoubtedly have attracted attention, but really the only reason for negativity at the moment is superstition that next season is a 3/4 and the last three of those have been banter years. We'll only be able to say for sure this time next year, but right now it feels more like a platform to build on than a missed opportunity.

Didn't read, too many tears 😢 

Surprised to see Pignatiello go which leaves us looking for more defensive signings, but he'd have had another season as cover and if he wants to go part-time and get a regular start elsewhere then fair enough.

No other surprises, we already knew about Strapp and Lyon while Efe was always likely to go. Green and Gemmell were never going to become first team players here.

It was obvious Waters would get an offer, although I hope we might end up with a better first choice.  Hopefully Miller and Quitongo sign up then we're sorted for wide options but neither of them would be nearly as hard to replace as Grimshaw. If we can keep him that's massive.

17 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Calvin Miller offered an extension. Happy with that as I thought he came onto a game. 

Are we still talking about Nicky Low? Free agent now? 

On Low, heard from few different people that there's a good chance of it happening this summer, time will tell I guess.

Decent competition if we do sign him,  would give us Gillespie, Crawford, Blues, Low and King for those middle 3 positions with maybe space for 1 more.

I'd love us to bring in a Tidser type, hard to find I know but he could put his foot on the ball, spray it about and control games with ease. Maybe Low can do that..

1 hour ago, madton said:

On Low, heard from few different people that there's a good chance of it happening this summer, time will tell I guess.

Decent competition if we do sign him,  would give us Gillespie, Crawford, Blues, Low and King for those middle 3 positions with maybe space for 1 more.

I'd love us to bring in a Tidser type, hard to find I know but he could put his foot on the ball, spray it about and control games with ease. Maybe Low can do that..

That seems a bit much if you are looking for 6 central midfielders, would almost be a 3rd of what your full squad was last year.  I suppose some may be able to play in different positions, but seems an awful lot.

FWIW, I would be surprised if you are going for Low, maybe a season or 2 back, but must be a bit over the hill now, surely no better than Ali Crawford.

14 hours ago, baba douche said:

Didn't read, too many tears 😢 

😳 what’s wrong, mate? 
Did yer maw iron a centre crease into your ripped denims or something??

Disaster…….