The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Boyd is right in the Quitongo, Baird and Gillespie category of a concerning signing under any other manager but one you have to have faith in Imrie for with his successes in turning players round before: Blues and Muirhead are also in this category. While he doesn't have a 100% record with this, Boyd's record is hardly comparable to Ally Roy.

While we don't want to go full David Hopkin and stockpile a load of anywhere across the front three types who are terrible in all of them, we do actually need that versatility right now. We weren't going to make another two attacking signings, and our options in the front three were Muirhead or Oakley at centre forward, Quitongo and McGrattan out wide with Garrity as cover, and maybe King as well at a push. Muirhead can play out wide but isn't as effective there as he is through the middle, Quitongo can play through the middle but isn't half the player there he is out wide. We needed another option in both positions and this gives us it, with someone who should compete for a place rather than just being a body to fill out the squad like Roy.

5 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Can someone please confirm if Brandon Diau is a donkey or not?

Judging by twitter updates and other items I've read, he wasn't on the pitch long enough (similar to the other trialists) before the game was abandoned 

Edited by MORleyTON
Typo

44 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Can someone please confirm if Brandon Diau is a donkey or not?

Came on with 30 mins to go and the match was stopped and abandoned about 30 seconds later. Will make a good tiktok story for him at least. 

4 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Doyle f**ked his knee, apparently. Some saying dislocated.

Ah right, so the injury was that bad?

Tough one - got to remember these guys aren't making a fortune, so hope it's not as bad as it seems.

5 minutes ago, baba douche said:

Ah right, so the injury was that bad?

Tough one - got to remember these guys aren't making a fortune, so hope it's not as bad as it seems.

Game was abandoned as he had to wait for the ambulance to arrive for a dislocated knee. 

It's worse for Doyle because he was only on trial for training purposes with no hope of winning a contract and now his season is potentially in danger with no contract. 

13 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Told he won't be signed by the club yet continued to play/train for his fitness, and sufferers a (based on descriptions) horrible injury.

That's not quite accurate. 

More like 'asked to come and train and use the facilities for fitness, knowing no deal was going to be on the table.'

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

That's not quite accurate. 

More like 'asked to come and train and use the facilities for fitness, knowing no deal was going to be on the table.'

I think Morton are just letting anyone come in, it's not as invitational as it sounds.

Obviously they'll need to talk to the person first to ensure they are actually a footballer, but it's fairly liberal as far as I can tell. Hence why Doyle was allowed to keep training and playing as a trialist, despite no offer being in the future.

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

I think Morton are just letting anyone come in, it's not as invitational as it sounds.

Obviously they'll need to talk to the person first to ensure they are actually a footballer, but it's fairly liberal as far as I can tell. Hence why Doyle was allowed to keep training and playing as a trialist, despite no offer being in the future.

Happens at every club.

Some trialists are invited in as the club want to have a look at them with a view to signing. Other players/mates ask to come in to be part of group sessions/use the facilities whilst they themselves keep looking for clubs that might be interested. It's pre-season. They need to start training and many would rather not just do it alone. So unless they have found a club who might be interested to take them on trial, they call in a favour for training facilities/structure.

Doyle didn't 'keep' training 'despite'. That was the entire basis of his presence from the start. The only reason Dougie had to come out and say there would be no contract was because everyone was talking about Doyle being there and the potential he would be signing, despite Dougie already saying ignore some of the faces you might see about.

Last I heard, Strapp was still using the facilities on a similar basis.

Edited by Jamie_M

“We’re not restricted, the budget is similar to last season, but it's about trying to get players to sign for what we can offer.

“There’s bigger teams in the league, Dundee United, Dunfermline, Airdrie who can offer more. Its just about firefighting what you can offer players.”

Dougie Imrie warns Morton may have to rely on young players

I think bringing in younger players isn't strictly a bad thing. We do have the core of last season's side and we only really need an experienced and quality option for RB. If younger players are in as the cover options I don't see much wrong with that, it's just not ideal.

Doubt Morton will put anything out, they'll be focusing on the season tickets for now.

Based on the reaction to the game amongst people I know, I would suggest we'll be looking at 2,000+ (although that seems obvious), probably closer to 2.5k.

Although there's a fair chance that could be totally wrong, last times we played them it was 4-5k, so probably close to that (for both combined)

Aye, the article about the Specsavers sponsorship of the derby says 2,500. The Ticket Info article says Morton are expecting 3,000 sales - If St Mirren have sold 1,400 then it's a bit disappointing to be, currently, outnumbered at home. Unless the 2,500 is just home sales, but that seems a bit high with half a week to go.

Still shaping up to be good, though. Looking forward to it, despite the pre-season nature.

The articles on both sites about the Specsavers partnership also seem to imply that the "Communities Cup" is just a replacement for the Renfrewshire that doesn't run the risk of the big boys getting papped out by an amateur club. Probably one-off but they aren't very clear about it, they just mention the Renfrewshire Cup for no real reason, and it doesn't fit well within the text.

12 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

"There's bigger teams in the league". Compared to last season. 

Basically saying:

Dundee Utd/Dunfermline/Airdrie > Dundee/Hamilton/Cove.

Pretty self explanatory.

Agreed, that's what it means.

But you can't argue with "stupid".......