The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

4 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

Ross Millen? He's apparently a cert to be signing from what I've heard and just released I think.

*Signs for Falkirk

Reckon that is pretty unlikely 

Our CEO and manager have both said we will be running with a squad of 20 this season and are at 19 already 

So we'll only be bringing in a goalkeeper. And possibly Dylan Tait if we can offload Jordan Allan.

Lewis Strapp on trial with a Finnish club according to the Greenock Telegraph. If he doesn't re-sign for us which seems increasingly unlikely I would be happy for him to try his luck abroad. That would be much better than watching him playing against us.

10 hours ago, Mr Toon said:

Lewis Strapp on trial with a Finnish club according to the Greenock Telegraph. If he doesn't re-sign for us which seems increasingly unlikely I would be happy for him to try his luck abroad. That would be much better than watching him playing against us.

How is that going to work for him? Doesn’t Finnish football shut down for the winter in October? Surely we can offer more than 4 or 5 months Finnish wages.

Posted (edited)

Just reading the championship thread on the Greenock Morton Forum which I’m barred from posting on, so I thought I’d give my tuppence worth here on the excellent debate there on how and why attendances fluctuate. 
I think if you look back to the era’s when we mounted genuine attempts to field a team to be proud of and be part of any conversation about Scottish football, that our average attendance prior to those events was always around the 1500 mark. That is surprisingly regardless of the local population at the time. 
On each of those journeys the rise in attendances was very gradual over a couple of seasons, as Inverclyde folk take a lot of persuading to make them believe in the club. However on each of those journeys the attendance figures multiplied by massive percentages. A decent run midway through a season has never in our history resulted in a significant increase in attendances, only a sustained and consistent run of performances and results has achieved that significant increase in attendances. I fully believe the same level of genuine intent to put Our Great Club on the map again would yield the same result that it has throughout our great history, a significant increase in attendances.

Edited by DreamOakTree1

37 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Just reading the championship thread on the Greenock Morton Forum which I’m barred from posting on, so I thought I’d give my tuppence worth here on the excellent debate there on how and why attendances fluctuate. 
I think if you look back to the era’s when we mounted genuine attempts to field a team to be proud of and be part of any conversation about Scottish football, that our average attendance prior to those events was always around the 1500 mark. That is surprisingly regardless of the local population at the time. 
On each of those journeys the rise in attendances was very gradual over a couple of seasons, as Inverclyde folk take a lot of persuading to make them believe in the club. However on each of those journeys the attendance figures multiplied by massive percentages. A decent run midway through a season has never in our history resulted in a significant increase in attendances, only a sustained and consistent run of performances and results has achieved that significant increase in attendances. I fully believe the same level of genuine intent to put Our Great Club on the map again would yield the same result that it has throughout our great history, a significant increase in attendances.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

Strappy away out to Finland. Glad he won’t be lining up against us next season, hopefully able to make a career for himself out there.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Strappy away out to Finland. Glad he won’t be lining up against us next season, hopefully able to make a career for himself out there.

If he does go to Finland does that mean no other Championship clubs were interested or were not prepared to pay what he is looking for?  

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

If he does go to Finland does that mean no other Championship clubs were interested or were not prepared to pay what he is looking for?  

I have no idea what kind of money Finnish sides are likely to have but it could be case that he wants to get out the fishbowl of Scottish football and try something different whilst he’s still young. Fair play to him if that’s the case. 

If he really has gone I can only think it’s because he likes vodka and the sound of Russian missiles.

There is a winter shut down there after October and if he has gone mid season on an 18 month deal I don’t see anyone paying full whack for the dormant period. 

If Strapp was going to Helsinki on decent money, that would be a no-brainer… but out in the sticks in the Finnish winter is a different matter altogether.

No idea tbh what Finnish players actually do between the league finishing in October and pre-season in the New Year, so maybe he won’t even have to be there (and on a wage).

20 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If Strapp was going to Helsinki on decent money, that would be a no-brainer… but out in the sticks in the Finnish winter is a different matter altogether.

No idea tbh what Finnish players actually do between the league finishing in October and pre-season in the New Year, so maybe he won’t even have to be there (and on a wage).

A winter in Finland is almost certainly more enjoyable than a winter in west-central Scotland, unless you enjoy storm force winds and sideways, 5C rain all the time. Which you'd be training in as well as a professional footballer. 

If Strapp is taking a different opportunity then I wish him all the best. Far too many Scottish footballers constrain their careers - and life experiences too - to a weirdly narrow set of options. 

According to Burns it's SJK Strapp's going to, a side who've only missed out on the top six three times in the last 10 years - everyone in their top six goes into playoffs for European qualification - while they've also been champions in that time. While the standard in Finland's top flight is definitely lower than ours, that's still a fantastic move that gives him a serious chance of playing European football and/or challenging for a title before even thinking about the change of lifestyle outside football. The idea that he's only doing it as a step down because he can't find a Scottish club seems misplaced.

He couldn't find a suitable Scottish club last summer until he re-signed with us in November. That's a fact. 

Two things can be true at the same time: it's a very good opportunity to go abroad; and the stock value of Strapp in Scottish football is not as high as many Morton fans and local hangers-on believe. 

11 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I have no idea what kind of money Finnish sides are likely to have but it could be case that he wants to get out the fishbowl of Scottish football and try something different whilst he’s still young. Fair play to him if that’s the case. 

He seemed to indicate the contract offer wasn't good enough, so I take from that it's financial more than anything.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing as footballers have short careers. 

But as far as we know, no championship club or indeed a club from the league above were prepared to meet his wage demands. Was he not rated in the same way many Morton fans rate him? 

Anyway, he seems a decent lad and was a good player for us so I can only wish him the very best in his future career

1 hour ago, virginton said:

A winter in Finland is almost certainly more enjoyable than a winter in west-central Scotland, unless you enjoy storm force winds and sideways, 5C rain all the time. Which you'd be training in as well as a professional footballer. 

If Strapp is taking a different opportunity then I wish him all the best. Far too many Scottish footballers constrain their careers - and life experiences too - to a weirdly narrow set of options. 

It rarely gets above zero in a Finnish winter, is oppressively cloudy most of the time and does actually rain and snow a lot. There is not even any decent skiing and probably no golf. 

i seriously doubt that any Finnish outfit is looking to sign players when the season is half over and commit to paying them for the dormant period even if a deal were to extend into a contract for next season.  You would expect that he and his agent networked and sought the advice of Jonaton Johannson  or Janne Lindberg so that the Dunfermline rumour is the more likely outcome. 

On 09/06/2024 at 18:39, virginton said:

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

I know quite a few people on P&B slag you off as a bit of a dick, but despite myself I normally quite like reading your posts. I’m wondering where your famous “fact based analysis” has disappeared to on this one though! Too much work to validate your post through historical research?

43 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

It rarely gets above zero in a Finnish winter, is oppressively cloudy most of the time and does actually rain and snow a lot. 

It rains more that twice as much in any winter month in Glasgow than it does in Helsinki and the sunlight hours are equivalent. Throw in the absence of golf and we have a clear winner. 

38 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

It rarely gets above zero in a Finnish winter, is oppressively cloudy most of the time and does actually rain and snow a lot. There is not even any decent skiing and probably no golf. 

i seriously doubt that any Finnish outfit is looking to sign players when the season is half over and commit to paying them for the dormant period even if a deal were to extend into a contract for next season.  You would expect that he and his agent networked and sought the advice of Jonaton Johannson  or Janne Lindberg so that the Dunfermline rumour is the more likely outcome. 

Why is a Finnish club signing a player on an 18 month deal in mid-June, 11 games into their 27 game league season with cups and potentially playoffs games to come as well, any different to Scottish clubs signing someone in January or February when they have 16 games or fewer to play? Finland having a much longer break between seasons than countries which play through winter doesn't mean clubs only ever recruit players on one year deals in perpetuity and professional footballers are all unpaid from December to March, full-time football with long term deals is still a thing.

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Why is a Finnish club signing a player on an 18 month deal in mid-June, 11 games into their 27 game league season with cups and potentially playoffs games to come as well, any different to Scottish clubs signing someone in January or February when they have 16 games or fewer to play? Finland having a much longer break between seasons than countries which play through winter doesn't mean clubs only ever recruit players on one year deals in perpetuity and professional footballers are all unpaid from December to March, full-time football with long term deals is still a thing.

It’s not about the Finnish club, it’s about Strapp. On the face of it he would sign up now for 4 months wages between July  and April having to come back at the end of October. Financially better  to sign for Morton, get nine months wages and live free with his Maw. Finnish football is a backwater.