The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

4 hours ago, virginton said:

A winter in Finland is almost certainly more enjoyable than a winter in west-central Scotland, unless you enjoy storm force winds and sideways, 5C rain all the time. Which you'd be training in as well as a professional footballer. 

I’ll take a wild guess you’ve never been to Finland…

4 hours ago, virginton said:

If Strapp is taking a different opportunity then I wish him all the best. Far too many Scottish footballers constrain their careers - and life experiences too - to a weirdly narrow set of options. 

Generally agree on that… but Seinajoki would be about 900th on my ‘broadening horizons’ list.

In terms of timing, location, and standard of football, this is just a weird move.

10 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I’ll take a wild guess you’ve never been to Finland…

I haven't been to Thailand or Barbados either but know I'd rather spend the winter there instead of traipsing around Parklea for a living too. It's almost as if we have regular annual records of expected conditions. 

I have incidentally lived in multiple countries with 'cold' (continental) climates and not one of those winters was as bad - nor lasted anywhere near as long - as a typical west of Scotland winter. 

We also have reliable records of population wellbeing which confirm that the much wider set of factors shaping that are performing far better for the people of Finland than the people of Scotland. 

Edited by vikingTON

It's really funny seeing talk about a guy from the west coast of Scotland moving to poor weather in Finland and then seeing where half of his potential new teammates are from!

Was also very surprised to see who their manager is as well.  

Cool move, hope it works out. 

9 hours ago, virginton said:

I haven't been to Thailand or Barbados either but know I'd rather spend the winter there instead of traipsing around Parklea for a living too. It's almost as if we have regular annual records of expected conditions. 

I have incidentally lived in multiple countries with 'cold' (continental) climates and not one of those winters was as bad - nor lasted anywhere near as long - as a typical west of Scotland winter. 

We also have reliable records of population wellbeing which confirm that the much wider set of factors shaping that are performing far better for the people of Finland than the people of Scotland. 

What’s with the nosism doc?  Not everything is about you but in your attempt to make it so you have riddled your post with nonsensical generalisations and non sequiturs. Surprised that in your quest for fact based analysis you didn’t cover how Finland’s tax rate compares with OECD, Scotland etc etc

BTW would be interested to know how you would pitch a move to Finland to your WAG girlfriend.

On 12/06/2024 at 23:52, virginton said:

Don’t back doon, double doon, eh? Always worked for you in the past, right enough…

Would I prefer to live in Helsinki than anywhere in Scotland (winter n’all)? Yes, no hesitation.

Would I move to Seinajoki mid-season on an 18-month deal that takes me through the long winter close-season? Absolutely not. Living in Glasgow and training at Parklea beats that hands down; it’s not even close.

To repeat, the timing, the location, and the standard of football all make this a very strange move. Even if it happens, I’ll be amazed if he’s still there at the end of the mooted contract.

This is based on direct knowledge of the environment btw, but feel free to tell us about fkn Barbados, Thailand, or even random countries you’ve actually lived in. It’s almost as if Strapp moving, eh, somewhere else would mean we’d be having a totally different conversation altogether.

On 13/06/2024 at 00:03, itzdrk said:

It's really funny seeing talk about a guy from the west coast of Scotland moving to poor weather in Finland and then seeing where half of his potential new teammates are from!

Was also very surprised to see who their manager is as well.  

Cool move, hope it works out. 

Might just be relevant that the one person on the thread who appears to have spent any time in Finland in winter didn’t actually mention the ‘weather’…

For what it’s worth, the ‘weather’ in Finland in winter can be spectacular, at least for the few hours when the sun is above the horizon. It’s really not about the weather, though (see above).

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

13 hours ago, virginton said:

Be careful with the “I’ve lived in multiple countries” stuff. Although I’d posted some horrendous stuff, that was the final nail in my coffin on the Morton forum, saying I had a passport to enable me to work abroad. Dare I say I’m posting this from Munich.
Your general point is correct though, as Finland has just been named the happiest country in the world for the 7th year running!

2 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Be careful with the “I’ve lived in multiple countries” stuff. Although I’d posted some horrendous stuff, that was the final nail in my coffin on the Morton forum, saying I had a passport to enable me to work abroad. Dare I say I’m posting this from Munich.
Your general point is correct though, as Finland has just been named the happiest country in the world for the 7th year running!

f**k up.

25 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

f**k up.

Sorry for opening up old wounds Mr Blue. You and others on the Morton forum must’ve been really upset when I had the audacity to claim I’d worked abroad and had a failed trial with Den Haag. Quite a few of you were spitting blood at the very idea of it, so commiserations, I hope your suffering is over.

2 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Sorry for opening up old wounds Mr Blue. You and others on the Morton forum must’ve been really upset when I had the audacity to claim I’d worked abroad and had a failed trial with Den Haag. Quite a few of you were spitting blood at the very idea of it, so commiserations, I hope your suffering is over.

^^^ Tony Blair

17 hours ago, virginton said:

instead of traipsing around Parklea for a living too

Thanks for the laugh,

I made part of my 'living' traipsing about Parklea for almost 30 years.

Not playing football though....

9 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Nah. You're just an absolute fanny.

great signing for Morton and one I was (with the greatest of respect) expecting to sign for someone a wee bit further up the (expected) pecking order.

Cammy will run through brick walls for the team,  never sh*t a tackle and will be suspended for minimum 4-5 games a season (should fit in well).

Hopefully he's at least got a right good pay rise out it, and I actually wish him well (except against Airdrie, birthday caird pish blah blah blah)

Good signing for Morton id be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed that he’s left for a team that finished below us but money talks etc etc, if he stays fit he’ll be a big player for yous.

11 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

suspended for minimum 4-5 games a season (should fit in well).

Excellent news, the SPFL card count trophy is coming home once again.

24 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

great signing for Morton and one I was (with the greatest of respect) expecting to sign for someone a wee bit further up the (expected) pecking order.

Cammy will run through brick walls for the team,  never sh*t a tackle and will be suspended for minimum 4-5 games a season (should fit in well).

Hopefully he's at least got a right good pay rise out it, and I actually wish him well (except against Airdrie, birthday caird pish blah blah blah)

Great eulogy there ammo,  spot on ,   

Good luck to Cammy , Airdrie only have themselves to blame..