The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 03/07/2024 at 12:15, Dunning1874 said:

It seems that a lot of the negativity about Delaney from Inverness fans was when he was playing at centre back, so hopefully with a proper run at left back he'll be fine and he's only at centre back in an emergency.

When Broadfoot's suspended.

20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Dougie not happy with the pitch according to Telegraph take what they say with a pinch of salt though they’re muppets 

I thought the pitch looked fantastic in the 2 friendlies so far. It was noticeable that it was dry but surely we could invest in a few hoses or a *sprinkler system to address that?

Not undersoil sprinklers

37 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Dougie not happy with the pitch according to Telegraph take what they say with a pinch of salt though they’re muppets 

The article contains Dougie's concerns with the length of the grass. I've thought the same the last couple of season tbh. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I thought the pitch looked fantastic in the 2 friendlies so far. It was noticeable that it was dry but surely we could invest in a few hoses or a *sprinkler system to address that?

Not undersoil sprinklers

To me it looked in good condition , but Dougie thought the grass was looking long something that can be easily sorted before the competitive stuff starts if it is an issue

The pitch has been awful for years now. Mark does a decent job of making it look good to the eye but its so lumpy and full of sand. It’s so dry this summer too and grass is too long. I doubt 4 friendlies on it will help this pre season either.

It probably helped us with our direct and pressing style in the past but it’s hopefully not too much of a hindrance for our tiki taka total football this season.

5 hours ago, port-ton said:

The pitch has been awful for years now. Mark does a decent job of making it look good to the eye but its so lumpy and full of sand. It’s so dry this summer too and grass is too long. I doubt 4 friendlies on it will help this pre season either.

It probably helped us with our direct and pressing style in the past but it’s hopefully not too much of a hindrance for our tiki taka total football this season.

Remember when cappielow was deemed one of the best pitches in Scotland what’s happened for it to deteriorate so much 

37 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Remember when cappielow was deemed one of the best pitches in Scotland what’s happened for it to deteriorate so much 

I imagine Dougie Rae used to give Mark pretty free rein to do what he wanted with it every summer with very little regards for the cost. 

I also wonder if his motivation for the job is the same after so long at the club and with his resources being reduced. 

I don’t think that we will ever get the pitch back to where it was at its best but in my opinion it should definitely be in a better state than it’s been the last few years. 

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

I imagine Dougie Rae used to give Mark pretty free rein to do what he wanted with it every summer with very little regards for the cost. 

I also wonder if his motivation for the job is the same after so long at the club and with his resources being reduced. 

I don’t think that we will ever get the pitch back to where it was at its best but in my opinion it should definitely be in a better state than it’s been the last few years. 

Don't forget that there were 50+ games being played on the pitch for a few years, and then we decided to train on it for a while as well. We ran it into some state. 

Impressed by Moffat today and think there’s a reasonable chance Davies will be a good player for us when match fit.

Lyall showed flashes, but looked heavy-legged; and big Lamar is no centre-forward (hopefully more effective out wide).

Also pleasantly surprised by how quickly we got Boyes in… left-sided centre-back who can also play left-back was priority no. 1.

From here, a back-up keeper, a Grimshaw, and another striker on loan… although I still get the feeling we might see one more wide player and Bearne moving on.

Was in the sport writer's seats Tuesday.

We were saying the pitch looked poor and patchy.

Not the standard of past years.

But wet then dry weather has not helped. A bit of rain this week and some heat might just turn things around.