The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Fwiw I now think Bearne’s wage should be going on another forward (in addition to the one we hope is definitely coming in), rather than another wide player.

If Dougie could wake up one morning (preferably before the end of August) and realise that persisting with Broadfoot will eventually get him the sack, all the better.

On 20/07/2024 at 17:22, Thistle4eva said:

We will win the league and your little shitey mob will go down. Double relegation on the cards. Rats on a sinking ship.

Hello, how’s things going tonight ? 

36 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Fwiw I now think Bearne’s wage should be going on another forward (in addition to the one we hope is definitely coming in), rather than another wide player.

If Dougie could wake up one morning (preferably before the end of August) and realise that persisting with Broadfoot will eventually get him the sack, all the better.

I don't think he has any choice at the moment with Corr, Baird and Boyes injured. 

I can see Corr being out for a while, but hopefully Boyes and Baird are back shortly

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

I don't think he has any choice at the moment with Corr, Baird and Boyes injured. 

I can see Corr being out for a while, but hopefully Boyes and Baird are back shortly

Regardless of injuries to other players in that position, we should be seeking ways to terminate his contract and bringing someone else in.

If Broadfoot wants to continue playing, fair enough… but he can do that at Clyde* or East Kilbride, not in the second tier.

* Just noticed they’ve beat the Partick luvvies tonight, so apologies for suggesting they’d entertain a 40-yr-old liability in place of whatever jobbers they currently have in there.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

9 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Regardless of injuries to other players in that position, we should be seeking ways to terminate his contract and bringing someone else in.

If Broadfoot wants to continue playing, fair enough… but he can do that at Clyde* or East Kilbride, not in the second tier.

I doubt even East Kilbride would want him stinking out the gaff. There's a fine line between an experienced head to supplement the squad and an old man whose delusion over his own abilities is detrimental to the entire squad, Broadfoot is miles beyond that line. 

11 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I very much doubt Bearne left without a pay-off, so his wage will not directly convert into another signing. Ditto the clamour to terminate Broadfoot's contract which will not yield a new centre back. 

Disappointed that Bearne didn't work out for either party.  There is a bit of a Jon Scullionesque vibe about the whole thing.

Anyway now we need to see a no. 9 type (or even 2) coming in pronto.

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

I very much doubt Bearne left without a pay-off, so his wage will not directly convert into another signing. 

That’s pure conjecture on your part.

if we accept the statement from the club as being accurate then it’s just as likely, probably more so, that both parties simply agreed to call it a day.  Either way, we’re never likely to know.

( cue response along the lines of “why should we accept it, champ?? I’m right, okay??  🙄 )

50 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

I doubt even East Kilbride would want him stinking out the gaff. There's a fine line between an experienced head to supplement the squad and an old man whose delusion over his own abilities is detrimental to the entire squad, Broadfoot is miles beyond that line. 

He can go as low as he - and his ego - need to as far as I’m concerned; if that’s the fifth tier - which is where he was before us ffs - or even lower, I hope he and his new club are very happy together.

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

I very much doubt Bearne left without a pay-off, so his wage will not directly convert into another signing. Ditto the clamour to terminate Broadfoot's contract which will not yield a new centre back. 

They will/would be partial pay-offs, so there’s a gain, which needs to go direct into further strengthening.

As I’ve said before, the squad needs four additions/replacements: but even three, if they’re the right three, would make a huge difference.

Having to play Kirk fkn Broadfoot is a direct threat to the financial well-being of the club… so one of those three/four has to be a defender.

47 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

if we accept the statement from the club as being accurate then it’s just as likely, probably more so, that both parties simply agreed to call it a day.  Either way, we’re never likely to know.

( cue response along the lines of “why should we accept it, champ?? I’m right, okay??  🙄 )

Well yes, we shouldn't automatically accept a football club's statement as being accurate because that's not how PR works. 

The idea that someone with no other source of income walks away from 12 months' pay is pure wishful* thinking on your part, which is not in fact stated by the club either. 

* predictably moronic 

54 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

They will/would be partial pay-offs, so there’s a gain, which needs to go direct into further strengthening.

As I’ve said before, the squad needs four additions/replacements: but even three, if they’re the right three, would make a huge difference.

Having to play Kirk fkn Broadfoot is a direct threat to the financial well-being of the club… so one of those three/four has to be a defender.

Partial wages saved from two bit part players is not going to land us the four quality replacements you're now calling for. This simply isn't realistic - not least given the failure to progress in the cup too. A couple of hundred quid might get one non-jobber signing over the line.

This underlines the folly of handing out multi-year deals as well as contract extensions to players when a ruthless approach was required. 

Your Broadfoot argument is just an irrational tantrum because the there are no other players available for that position right now. Paying him off self evidently does not free up budget for a direct replacement. And he's far from the only player stinking the place out incidentally. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Tele reveal Imrie talking to jay Emmanuel Thomas 

Aw ffs not someone else Dougie bumped into at Livingstone. Do we actually have a scouting set up?  We will get nowhere if we let Dougie get away with failing to develop younger players and simply sign his elderly acquaintances instead. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Partial wages saved from two bit part players is not going to land us the four quality replacements you're now calling for. This simply isn't realistic - not least given the failure to progress in the cup too. A couple of hundred quid might get one non-jobber signing over the line.

This underlines the folly of handing out multi-year deals as well as contract extensions to players when a ruthless approach was required. 

Your Broadfoot argument is just an irrational tantrum because the there are no other players available for that position right now. Paying him off self evidently does not free up budget for a direct replacement. And he's far from the only player stinking the place out incidentally. 

Bit early to be drinking, is it not?

1. I'm assuming there were already two to come in; (partially) paying off guys who've got no part to play will at least give us a chance of getting one or two more on top of that;

2. If you think demanding that Broadfoot be punted is an 'irrational tantrum' (actual lolz), you're watching the wrong sport. There are literally dozens of players who could come in and do a better job, on the basis that they can actually fuckin run. It doesn't matter how many other players aren't playing well; going into the league season with Broadfoot anywhere near the team will see us hit the bottom early... and there's no guarantee we get up off the floor this time round, given the issues elsewhere and the overall competiveness of the league.

You were screaming hysterically about our certain relegation after watching one game... now you're objecting, for reasons that escape me, to the most obvious way(s) of addressing the key problems.

So which is it: are we doomed and there's f**k all anybody can do about it? Or are there perfectly reasonable and obvious steps we can take to improve the squad (e.g. punt bit-part players like Bearne, the wisdom of which you were awful keen to take credit for pointing out... more actual lolz)? 

49 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Bit early to be drinking, is it not?

1. I'm assuming there were already two to come in; (partially) paying off guys who've got no part to play will at least give us a chance of getting one or two more on top of that;

Enlighten us please as to how how freeing up part of two fringe player wages would fund two extra signings of the quality required.

2. If you think demanding that Broadfoot be punted is an 'irrational tantrum' (actual lolz), you're watching the wrong sport. There are literally dozens of players who could come in and do a better job, on the basis that they can actually fuckin run.

No they couldn't because they can't actually be afforded within any credible squad structure. Your tantrum is hysterical because:

1) Right now, we do not have sufficient, fit centre backs to simply release Broadfoot. 

2) But we have in fact already signed a full range of centre backs in the squad for this season; it's simply a combination of injuries/suspensions that leaves us requiring to stretch to 4th choice. (Whether Broadfoot is higher in that pecking order is a separate point).

3) Shrieking for the paid termination of a 4th choice defender's contract to sign a different back-up centre back is a completely moronic allocation of money, when other areas of the squad still need credible first choice options. Doing so would take funds away from signing players elsewhere. 

As for the rest of your increasingly unhinged, 'lolz'-based word salad - just because I think that the current squad assembled is abysmal doesn't mean that I must demand that we squander what's left of our inherently limited budget with more shite decisions.

I wanted more players to be ruthlessly culled in May -  including Broadfoot, Bearne and indeed Garrity who is not making an impact either. Instead the squad has been largely filled with fringe players from last season and new additions who unfortunately look hopeless in the attacking half of the pitch. The club cannot magically 'terminate contract' its way out of that position: this is real life rather than your daft wee FM save. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Wait for it…………..

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Well yes, we shouldn't automatically accept a football club's statement as being accurate because that's not how PR works. 

The idea that someone with no other source of income walks away from 12 months' pay is pure wishful* thinking on your part, which is not in fact stated by the club either. 

Telt ye!      🤣🤣🤣.   Sooo predictable.

On 21/07/2024 at 14:25, virginton said:

If Morton finish in the top 4 of the league this season then I'll delete my account on here.

Bookmarked.  Just, y’know,  in case…….

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Here’s an alternative scenario for you.  

Bearne, unhappy at not getting game time and probably having been told that that’s unlikely to change having spoken to Imrie, has two choices - either to twiddle his thumbs on the bench till the end of his contract, or do something about it. He doesn’t fancy option one.
Either he, or his agent if he has one, put a few feelers out and get some interest from down south, if he can be made available without a fee.                           

Bearne approaches the club asking to be released from his contract.  Morton could hold him to his contract, but as the player clearly wants to leave the club have the upper hand in negotiating a deal.

The player is released as a free agent without a payoff. Morton receive no transfer fee ( a remote possibility anyway) but have no further wage or National Insurance commitment to the player.

Win - win.

Conjecture, of course, but just as valid as your own - though of course you won’t accept that.  😜