The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

7 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

You are much closer to all of this than I am at the moment. For me though the board has to have general oversight. The lack of striking options and the ultimate consequence of it is obvious to all on here.

it comes down to choices. If you have a performing popular striker who wants more security or cash is your first action to jig the budget to accommodate him or do you rush in and give a one year deal to a 39 year old whom the fans dislike and who no one else would rush to sign. 

The desperation signings which have taken place recently are just a waste of money. 

I would say the Board of Directors/Chairman will have a general oversight as they are supporters like ourselves watching these games every week.

I remember it used to be a case the manager would sit down with the Chairman on a Monday to discuss how the week has gone and any issues. Not sure if that's still the case.

As far as Oakley, Muirhead and Crawford go they were offered more money elsewhere so it was never a realistic option to keep them. All of them could be with teams who had a chance of playing in the league above us next season too.

Dougie stated weeks ago he was looking at the no. 9 position. And then signed JET who isn't even a CF! A guy by his own admission can't play more than 60 minutes because he's not fit enough. What planet must you be on to find that acceptable going into a league campaign? 

Reynolds showed signs that he could be useful when he played in the friendlies. I remember the Alloa friendly when he ghosted past a couple of players and I think scored in that game. Since then, and it feels like a lifetime ago, he's done nothing and if anything has regressed. 

Davies has just not settled at all. For a player who scored 30 goals? last season and got called up to the Wales C team you would imagine he HAS to have something about him. It's just not there and perhaps it would be better for him and the club to part ways in January and he can get back to his family.

Our striking options are a complete disaster and I cannot even begin to understand the thought process for Dougie to believe it's acceptable in this league.    

27 minutes ago, baba douche said:

What's happened with the Welsh guy you brought in for CF? Just needs time, or just needs punted?

Had high hopes when he arrived going by his goal scoring record in wales but he’s struggling to get any game time and when he does he’s doing nothing 

20 hours ago, Toby said:

Why do you continue to tell this lie, when you know you’ll get called out on it every time, and look even more ridiculous than the last time you tried to flog us it?

As far as I was aware, this was the main reason the forum ganged up against me. It became an ongoing thing to the extent I seemed to galvanise everyone else to become dedicated Dougie backers, including those who’d posted similar criticisms previously.

On every other topic following that I was regularly lambasted, so perhaps that’s what you’re referring to. I also remember you said something about being reluctant to ban me, implying you have sound knowledge of what I was banned for.

If that’s the case and I wasn’t banned for my criticism of Dougie, can you tell me what was the actual reason? 

28 minutes ago, baba douche said:

What's happened with the Welsh guy you brought in for CF? Just needs time, or just needs punted?

Shite. While TNS and Connah's Quay are much better sides than the rest of them, most of the Welsh Premier is about the standard of the Lowland League and he's simply miles off the level required for the Championship.

Imrie has dug us out of terrible runs before but our attacking options now are so awful that it's hard to see how we can win enough games to claw our way to 8th.

Managers live and die by their recruitment, but while every gamble has backfired you can at least see why he's taken some of them. We know we can't compete with other Championship clubs financially so try to go outside the box with a hidden gems from lower levels strategy with Davies and Reynolds. Fine, take that gamble, but then it turns out they're both dreadful. So we need to go out and get another centre forward and again we have a gamble, this time of the unfit 30+ striker on a downward trajectory variety. Again a reasonable gamble to try, but again it doesn't work as JET is so immobile having him in the team means we're effectively playing with 10 men. He's not good enough and it's another failed gamble.

Having taken the justifiable decision to take these gambles and seen none of them work, you're then in the position where you absolutely need another centre forward in and it absolutely has to work, as another failure to get a competent Championship forward means we simply have no attacking threat. Going out and signing a 37 year old winger in those circumstances is f**king wild. McGinn may prove to be a less bad option than those three, but he's clearly not going to fix the glaring problem in the team and I have no idea what Imrie was thinking with that signing.

Looking at the rest of the division as the benchmark, in defence and midfield we do have some players who would improve other Championship sides. Not only does every Championship side have better centre forwards than us though, every League One side has at least one. There's plenty of players in that category that I wouldn't want as I don't think they're good enough for the Championship, but nevertheless they're better options than Emmanuel-Thomas, McGinn, Davies and Reynolds.

It already feels like we're treading water until January when we can hopefully be rid of enough of those four to combine their wages to find one player who isn't terrible, and hope we aren't so far adrift by then that 8th is out of reach. We simply aren't going to score goals from open play without a significant upgrade in quality.

On 15/09/2024 at 11:31, wullieaufc said:

Lamar Reynolds is the next Dipo Akinyemi was the shout on here a couple months ago, how’s that working out?

Not quite - I remember using the word 'possibly' and I can't be ersed to search out the howler of a post. But fair play - guilty as charged. But I also said at the time that I ran the risk of becoming P&B's prize chump when I was proved monumentally wrong. So aye - I'm a f**king chump (but an honest one) and he's dugshite.

Greetings from Girvan :)

Edited by Chippyminton

13 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Not quite - I remember using the word 'possibly' and I can't be ersed to search out the howler of a post. But fair play - guilty as charged. But I also said at the time that I ran the risk of becoming P&B's prize chump when I was proved onumentally wrong. So aye - I'm a f**king chump (but an honest one) and he's dugshite.

Greetings from Girvan :)

Have no fear😂

IMG_2421.jpeg

5 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

If that’s the case and I wasn’t banned for my criticism of Dougie, can you tell me what was the actual reason? 

Your posting privileges were restricted to the general nonsense forum, you weren't banned. You know full well it was for the mean spirited, foul mouthed character assassination of Imrie you posted when you were pissed out of your tiny mind.

You were rounded on for inventing conspiracies, rumours and suspicions in a futile attempt at vindicating your ridiculous opinion that Dougie was acting against our youth players interests.

So to sum up, it all happened because you're an utter arse of a man.

Edited by Cappiecat1.2

I have no issue with the Davies punt am still in favour of us taking gambles on players who stand out at lower levels. 

Reynolds however (and to a lesser degree JET & McGinn) are just mental pieces of business I am yet to find any justifucation for.

I have a lot of sympathy for the constraints Imrie faces working here, but that means he has to be very, very sure of the players he’s bringing in as we’re going to be stuck with them. I think ge’s well aware at this stage he’s made an arse of it and effectively given up on Reynolds & Davies.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Imrie has dug us out of terrible runs before but our attacking options now are so awful that it's hard to see how we can win enough games to claw our way to 8th.

Managers live and die by their recruitment, but while every gamble has backfired you can at least see why he's taken some of them. We know we can't compete with other Championship clubs financially so try to go outside the box with a hidden gems from lower levels strategy with Davies and Reynolds. Fine, take that gamble, but then it turns out they're both dreadful. So we need to go out and get another centre forward and again we have a gamble, this time of the unfit 30+ striker on a downward trajectory variety. Again a reasonable gamble to try, but again it doesn't work as JET is so immobile having him in the team means we're effectively playing with 10 men. He's not good enough and it's another failed gamble.

Interesting reading this, as I’ve said something quite similar about Airdrie on our thread, albeit mostly focused on our summer recruitment leaving us with a squad almost entirely of mid-paced technical midfielders who lack physicality and can’t play any other way. Two clubs in a similar position in terms of budget, both of whom have went about things in a slightly different way but ultimately have built very imbalanced squads which are clearly lacking at the top end. Next Saturday is going to be a classic!

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

As far as I was aware, this was the main reason the forum ganged up against me. It became an ongoing thing to the extent I seemed to galvanise everyone else to become dedicated Dougie backers, including those who’d posted similar criticisms previously.

On every other topic following that I was regularly lambasted, so perhaps that’s what you’re referring to. I also remember you said something about being reluctant to ban me, implying you have sound knowledge of what I was banned for.

No, I can’t tell you. Enough of the Morton-related stuff on here is taken up by bitch-fighting among us to the extent that it’s a standing joke amongst other clubs’ fans (I’m as guilty of that as most), and I’ve got no desire to get into an exchange over DMs with you.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

No, I can’t tell you. Enough of the Morton-related stuff on here is taken up by bitch-fighting among us to the extent that it’s a standing joke amongst other clubs’ fans (I’m as guilty of that as most), and I’ve got no desire to get into an exchange over DMs with you.

I never saw you as a vindictive guy Toby, however you’ve called me a liar in your previous post, which is not your style to my mind. But when I respond and ask for an explanation, you tell me you have the explanation but won’t give it to me. That is definitely out of character for the guy I thought was you.

Morton are my local team now so try to follow them and get to a few games a season. Cowdenbeath last week was my first Morton game of this campaign and I must say going from what I’ve seen relegation is a very present danger. A real shame but lost so many good players for this level and haven’t replaced them.

On 15/09/2024 at 19:00, Cowshed said:

Most delusional & epic chump in 2024 

Aye. But I'm taking it squarely on the chin in true Ton style like a heroic blue-and-white-hooped gladiator.

And I freely admit that  I'm talking Jimmy Hill and Bruce Forsyth chin level.

Edited by Chippyminton

Cruel, @wullieaufc Very, very cruel.

But fair 🤣 🤣 🤣🤣

I'm sure you'll go easy on my chumpiness in the future because you'll take pity on the fact that I stay closer to Somerset Park than I do to Cappielow. And I also proudly hold the honour of once having had a pished-up stag-night kebab from that place on the corner of Heathfield Road only 8 hours before South Ayrshire Council brought the white-suited biohazard laddies in. Against all the odds - I survived, although the residual botulism still kicks in now & then, and I can still remember biting into that kebab thinking that it smelled a bit like human shite 🤢 What a great f**king night, though.  The stuff of legends.

BTW I also remember the Kyle Centre when it had shops in it.

Please send George Oakley back.

Edited by Chippyminton

On 15/09/2024 at 16:47, DreamOakTree1 said:

You're so full of your own self importance that it's not only laughable but embarrassing too.