Derek Adams interviewed for Plymouth job

I must be the only non-County fan that doesn't despise him. His trolling of opposition fans, players and managers was quality entertainment.

However the same cannot be said for the brand of football he had County playing. Zzzzzzzz.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you ever met Hitler?

I tend to think not judging someone as a horrible human being until I have met them is a good rule of thumb to live by.

War criminals would be an exception, obviously. But if you want to compare Derek Adams to Adolf Hitler go ahead :lol:

He did a really good job at County, but he also alienated most of the fans by the end. Which is staggeringly impressive when you consider that when he first took over we were in the Second Division. I think he's better suited to the lower leagues generally, I'm not sure his particular brand of man management is going to be tolerated by those who aren't the sort of players who made up our 1st Division winning side, which was made up of a lot of young players discarded by big teams and clearly just glad to be able to continue as professional players.

That said, cheque book manager or not (& I've always thought that was a silly thing to throw at him, how many times was the cheque opened up apart from the Richard Brittain fiasco?) he took County to a cup final and then to a year long run of not losing a league game.

Definitely a total w**k though.

The fact that he is still without a job in football after his achievements with County says a lot.

Almost universally hated within Scottish football.

I'd have to agree with this.

That said, his achievements were flat out ridiculous and I'd be churlish to suggest Adams was simply lucky.

Big fan.

He was fired after a series of disastrous signings and results so I think calling him a fantastic manager is a bit much.

Would County fans be happy if McIntyre was sacked and Adams was given him job back?

Surely part of being a 'fantastic' manager is your man management ability? Something Adams clearly doesn't have any of.

I just don't buy into him at all. Would've been interesting to see how he got on managing a club without a sugar daddy ready to bail you out each January.

There's a lot of focus here on Adams' recruitment tactics in the Premiership. It was a strategy that had its flaws. Recruiting cheap in the summer and then bailing out in January isn't particularly viable in the long run. The turnaround in personel and egos clearly didn't lead to a good team ethic. Especially with a manager with questionable man management skills. But even a manager with great people skills would have struggled to make such a turnover of players work properly.

However, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact Adams took an unspectacular group of players from the 2nd division to the SPL, complete with a 40 match unbeaten run, and a Scottish Cup Final appearance, outclassing Celtic along the way. To do that with an unfashionable team from the Highlands is quite an achievement in anyone's book.

His two championships came in the aftermath of the clusterfucks that Leitch and McStay had left behind. He then took County to the best Premier League finish from a promoted team in years. But I suppose none of that matters when he committed the heinous crime of signing new players in the January transfer window.

It means he gets results you stupid chief!

His two championships came in the aftermath of the clusterfucks that Leitch and McStay had left behind. He then took County to the best Premier League finish from a promoted team in years. But I suppose none of that matters when he committed the heinous crime of signing new players in the January transfer window.

It means he gets results you stupid chief!

Way to totally miss the point.

For Staggies really.

My English team Plymouth are currently interviewing for their vacant manager's post and Derek Adams is apparently among those considered. Any views on what sort of job he might do down there ?

Expect messages to fly between Plymouth and Kamino around about the winter transfer window with orders for millions of clone troopers.

This whole discussion brings up some interesting points, and the longer it goes the more I feel Adams is one big enigma. Some incredible achievements, which slowly seemed to evolve into a bit of a circus. I don't disagree about his people skills... but then I begin to wonder how he could have achieved so much if that problem was there all along. Has it developed over time, too?

He's young, he has achieved loads and made many big mistakes. I don't doubt for a second that there is a great manager in there, and some of that has already been shown, but he has much to learn ("off the field" especially). If he calms down and mans up, I think he could do very well.

I tend to think not judging someone as a horrible human being until I have met them is a good rule of thumb to live by.

War criminals would be an exception, obviously. But if you want to compare Derek Adams to Adolf Hitler go ahead :lol:

I knew someone was going to come out with that comparing Hitler to Adams patter. Show me where I compared the two. I was using it an example.

Archived