• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curry chat:

1. Who has a curry recipe which hands-down beats a quality indian restaurant meal?

2. Does anyone know where to procure lamb that you'll find in an indian curry i.e. what cut is it?

1. For me the key to a top notch curry is buying whole spices and grinding them yourself. Have a look online at garam masala mixes and go from there. Mine includes cumin seed, coriander seed, cardamon pod, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, mustard seed and bay leaf. Getting the balance right will take a long time, but the taste of fresh ground spices is amazing, even when the quantities are wrong.

2. Get either a leg or shoulder of lamb (with bone in) and slow cook it separately from the curry. Try and retain as much of the cooking juices from the lamb as possible, and seperate it from the fat to give the curry sauce more depth.

For the curry sauce.

Heat a good amount of oil in your pan.

Add a large chopped onion and your ground spice mix.

Once this has cooked for a while, add a lot of chopped ginger and garlic.

Add 1/2tsp of turmeric

Tsp of ground cumin

Chilli powder to taste I usually go for 1.5-2tsp

1/2 tsp salt

3 chopped fresh tomatoes

This forms a thick paste and you just add water from here and let it cook and reduce a bit. Keep adding water if it gets too thick, but have boiling water ready so it doesn't keep cooling down the sauce.

From there you can add whatever you're putting in the sauce. If lamb, i'll use the slow cooked stuff or if chicken just cook it in the sauce. Put some cooked veg in at the end, green beans or potatoes go well. Then add some yoghurt and chopped coriander at the end.

This won't beat a top Indian restaurant curry, the good places balance the spices perfectly, but it'll make a cracking meal.

Eta, add chopped green chillies in at the same time as garlic & ginger if u like more heat.

Curry chat:

1. Who has a curry recipe which hands-down beats a quality indian restaurant meal?

2. Does anyone know where to procure lamb that you'll find in an indian curry i.e. what cut is it?

Keith Floyd's Tugboat curry (from Floyd in Africa) done in slow cooker

Archived