The best scrambled eggs are made with just eggs. Put three eggs into a pot/frying pan and add nothing else.

Continue to cook as you normally would and after a few minutes you will have fluffy eggs with none of the weird pre-cum/water stuff you end up with if you add butter and milk.

Maybe a common one, but I love making my own potato wedges. Just chop up a couple of potatoes (skin on, naturally), chuck them in a bowl with a sprinkle of olive oil, cracked salt, pepper, paprika, oregano and basil.

Place on a baking tray and cook at gas mark five for 35/40 minutes.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend think that scare stories regarding the Scottish diet are over-exaggerated - then I read a culinary thread on here and realize there's more they don't know about yet.

The best scrambled eggs are made with just eggs. Put three eggs into a pot/frying pan and add nothing else.

Continue to cook as you normally would and after a few minutes you will have fluffy eggs with none of the weird pre-cum/water stuff you end up with if you add butter and milk.

That's a mashed up omelette. Big chunk of butter, drop of milk, salt and pepper. Trick is cooking it very slowly on a low heat and continually stirring.

For resting steak...

I put the top oven on at about 50degrees and put the steaks in there on the grill tray - keeps them warm but not to the extent they are still cooking, plus all the blood drains away. I'll also sometimes pop them back in the hot pan before serving to give them a good glaze/sheen.

For resting steak...

I put the top oven on at about 50degrees and put the steaks in there on the grill tray - keeps them warm but not to the extent they are still cooking, plus all the blood drains away. I'll also sometimes pop them back in the hot pan before serving to give them a good glaze/sheen.

Why in gods name would you want to drain the blood away? Mopping up the blood and juices with thick cut chips is one of lifes greatest pleasures.

When cooking baked beans always use a pot, only tinkers cook their beans in the microwave. Cook slowly over a low heat and add some chilli sauce. Crush some of the beans against the side of the pot to release some starch, this gives it a thicker consistency.

Best beans...IN THE WORLD..

The red liquid you see coming from a steak, is not actually blood, and is in fact myoglobin. Myoglobin is the protein within the meat that binds the muscle tissue together. A perfect steak, cooked blue obviously, shouldn't have any 'blood' coming out of it, as it is not cooked to sufficient temperatures to breakdown the protein.

When cooking baked beans always use a pot, only tinkers cook their beans in the microwave. Cook slowly over a low heat and add some chilli sauce. Crush some of the beans against the side of the pot to release some starch, this gives it a thicker consistency.

It's fucking beans. Where does heating things up stop and cooking begin?

When pouring boiling water in to a pot noodle, hold the kettle 3 feet above the pot. The extra force of the water going in brings out the true flavour of the dust and broken glass.

It's fucking beans. Where does heating things up stop and cooking begin?

When pouring boiling water in to a pot noodle, hold the kettle 3 feet above the pot. The extra force of the water going in brings out the true flavour of the dust and broken glass.

When I lived in Sydney, Australia, I met a group of English girls in the pub one day. They'd just been to the 'British' food shop in Bondi, and one had just spent about $7 on pot noodle. Who the hell would spend that on a fucking pot noodle!! I was genuinely shocked by this, as I munched the $3 bags of beef monster munch id previously just acquired from said shop.

Garam Masala goes very nicely with beans, as does chilli powder.

A good trick to stodge up beef chilli is to stick in a tin of chick peas. That'll squeeze another portion out of it at least. Note this trick can also be used in a curry.

When I lived in Sydney, Australia, I met a group of English girls in the pub one day. They'd just been to the 'British' food shop in Bondi, and one had just spent about $7 on pot noodle. Who the hell would spend that on a fucking pot noodle!! I was genuinely shocked by this, as I munched the $3 bags of beef monster munch id previously just acquired from said shop.

Washed down with a $4 can of Irn Bru i should hope

Edit: And on the subject of pasta, you should salt the water you're cooking the pasta in generously to prevent it from being too bland.

Surely absolutely everyone does this anyway? If not, what the f**k is wrong with you?

When I make baked beans I put in a wee drizzle of balsamic vinegar, gives it a little more depth of flavour

Add a square or two of dark chocolate in to chili, also a wee bit of cinamon.

Finely chopped Parsnip in bolognese makes it richer and sweeter.

When making salsa adding a wee bit fruit such as plumbs nectarines is nice.

3 tips I would like to try! Cheers pal :)

Why in gods name would you want to drain the blood away? Mopping up the blood and juices with thick cut chips is one of lifes greatest pleasures.

Maybe it is for you Bella Lugosi but pink inside and not dripping with blood is how I like it.

Filthmongers of P&B - fill yer boots with that one.

Archived