DOOM

BFTD

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Anyone looking for some quality Doom action in the meantime could do a lot worse than check out DoomRL - a free RogueLike version of Doom, which means it's hard as nails and turn-based. It's a lot of fun, though, and has quite a bit of depth to it. The kind of thing you play for fifteen minutes every now and then.

Here's one of those gameplay video with some annoying p***k talking over the top:

Also well worth considering: DoomRPG. I don't think this is available to buy anymore, but it's still available to download from...certain sources. It turned Doom into a Dungeon Master style RPG for older mobile phones - I don't think it works on modern phones, but you can get it working on a Java emulator on your PC, which is what I did a few years ago. Never finished it myself, but it was a lot of fun, so I want to go back to it again at some point. Like DoomRL, there was a surprising amount of depth to it too, and there's also an imaginatively-titled sequel (go on, guess). I think there may even have been a Wolfenstein version too.

These were official iD spin-offs, BTW, with involvement from the Carmacks IIRC. Here's an entertaining wee trailer from back in the day:

• 9 months later...

Despite some reservations about the game it seems Doom has been received pretty well by critics.  The multiplayer beta received lots of negative reviews and the lack of review copies before the release date made some think we might be in for a complete dud of a game.

Enjoying it thus far.

Impressed with how much it does feel like the original games.

If you like your shooters to have a bit of story behind them then you'll be disappointed but if you just want a mindlessly violent shoot em up then it's a winner.

f**k's sake...I forgot this was coming out. Steam were doing a pre-order bonus of one of those new Wolfenstein games   :rolleyes:

f**k's sake...I forgot this was coming out. Steam were doing a pre-order bonus of one of those new Wolfenstein games   :rolleyes:

I already had the Wolfenstein game so the pre-order was never going to tempt me.  I bought Doom yesterday from Amazon for £30, it is £39.99 on Steam.  Looking forward to getting it tomorrow.  I also bought the Doom bundle on Steam which has the original games in one package.  Was funny to see all four downloads for that bundle come in at under 10MB each when your modern FPS is easily 40GB now.

Speaking of the original games I watched this video yesterday about how the original Doom managed to look 3D without actually being 3D.

Seems to be a lot of high praise for this new Doom, I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and the most striking thing is that the game seems self-aware of what Doom is and what should be expected from a new game in the series in 2016. The overblown heavy metal music is in, the goofy sound-bytes like "unsafe levels of demonic invasion detected" and the fast pace of combat and character movement are things that I felt a new Doom game needed. Can't wait to pick this up. 

Bethesda refused to release review copies of the game prior to release, usually a tactic like that is reserved for shite games. They also deleted numerous reviews of the multiplayer beta from steam prior to general release. I hope the game ends up being good mind you, who doesnt love a bit of doom but those actions are certainly concerning

It's been out for a few days, folks. User reviews "very positive" on Steam, and 8.2 on Metacritic. Seems like it's decent enough.

Think I'll be waiting for a while, seeing as how I missed out on the pre-order bonus. Don't have time to play it at the moment anyway.

I got it yesterday, and it's Doom. Not much else to say about it, it's old school. It'a straight up shooter, there is not really a survival horror or stealth aspect to it. It's brutally fast and simple: You get stuck in chambers and corridors with large numbers of (not particularly AI bright) demons and you have to mow through them. The 'glory kill' system is designed to force you to close the distance, to run head first into packs of demons, in order to guarentee health pack drops. The weapon upgrade system is pretty decent as well, and the upgrades look pretty inventive and fun to use. There is a story there, but who cares; the game itself is quite self referential and aware. The level designs are as you'd expect, you still have to pick up blue, red and yellow keys, there are secret chambers, a chainsaw and the BFG.

It's Doom, in all it's fast, cut down old school glory.

It's been out for a few days, folks. User reviews "very positive" on Steam, and 8.2 on Metacritic. Seems like it's decent enough.

Think I'll be waiting for a while, seeing as how I missed out on the pre-order bonus. Don't have time to play it at the moment anyway.

User reviews are now positive because they deleted the negative ones, its currently sitting on a 7.6 on metacritic and thats after 7 reviews from largely meh reviewers. As ive said i hope it turns out to be a good game but i cant help but be cynical

User reviews are now positive because they deleted the negative ones, its currently sitting on a 7.6 on metacritic and thats after 7 reviews from largely meh reviewers. As ive said i hope it turns out to be a good game but i cant help but be cynical

I thought it was just the reviews for the free multiplayer beta that were removed? Seems fair enough that those wouldn't be included for the actual game.

I'm only seeing three critic reviews so far on Metacritic; I was referring to the user rating of 8.2, which seems to be where games get excoriated if people are disappointed by them.

No doubt I'm wrong, but the videos I've seen don't look much like Doom to me. Reminds me more of the Quake games, which I'm in no rush to play a new version of. Well, possibly the first one. That could be fun.

I thought it was just the reviews for the free multiplayer beta that were removed? Seems fair enough that those wouldn't be included for the actual game.

I'm only seeing three critic reviews so far on Metacritic; I was referring to the user rating of 8.2, which seems to be where games get excoriated if people are disappointed by them.

No doubt I'm wrong, but the videos I've seen don't look much like Doom to me. Reminds me more of the Quake games, which I'm in no rush to play a new version of. Well, possibly the first one. That could be fun.

if your referring to user reviews thats even less reliable, plenty of publishers have been caught out making profiles to post postive scores on metacritic in the past

if your referring to user reviews thats even less reliable, plenty of publishers have been caught out making profiles to post postive scores on metacritic in the past

Yes, but over 800, or almost 9,000 on Steam? They'd need to be in cahoots with the sites themselves, which is a bit too paranoid for me.

Just noticed that Doom 3 has a critic score of 87 on Metacritic   :blink:  I liked that game well enough, but considering the amount of bad stuff said about it over the years, I'd imagine that has a few heads being scratched   :lol:

having played the original doom games, if it is anything other than a spruced up looking FPS where you simply get as much ammo as possible an shoot the shit out of anything that moves, then it just isnt doom

f**k all that stealth shit, f**k all that mission shit, doom was doom simply because you started a level and had to reach the exit alive by killing any fucking thing in your path, sometimes twice

oh and it must have a BFG, good lord it must have a BFG (was a shite gun actually, but its a part of Doom)

The BFG was hilarious in deathmatch; everyone haring after the same guy until they saw the green flash, then it was "run away, run away!"   :lol:

Archived