Premier League 2015-16

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a company we use who offer trips to Premiership games, usually involving going down for stadium tours and quite often coaching sessions too. The only Scottish clubs on offer are Rangers or Celtic and the majority of kids don't want to go there. Most of the kids we take are kids who have barely even left Dundee let alone Scotland so going to grounds like Old Trafford is a once in a lifetime for some of them.

We're saving up to go to Ajax in a couple of years through the same company.

We've had a few people ask about going to more local games but as a school we have half a dozen boys teams and two girls teams who play in the local school leagues plus we have educational programs connected to both United and Dundee. Going to England or overseas gives the kids something memorable.

By far and away the best two clubs we've visited have been Sunderland (who let us visit and use their Academy of Light) and Burnley (who let the kids on the pitch as the teams came out)

The only Scottish clubs on offer are Rangers or Celtic and the majority of kids don't want to go there.

That has to be a good sign :) 

It's a company we use who offer trips to Premiership games, usually involving going down for stadium tours and quite often coaching sessions too. The only Scottish clubs on offer are Rangers or Celtic and the majority of kids don't want to go there. Most of the kids we take are kids who have barely even left Dundee let alone Scotland so going to grounds like Old Trafford is a once in a lifetime for some of them.

We've had a few people ask about going to more local games but as a school we have half a dozen boys teams and two girls teams who play in the local school leagues plus we have educational programs connected to both United and Dundee. Going to England or overseas gives the kids something memorable.

By far and away the best two clubs we've visited have been Sunderland (who let us visit and use their Academy of Light) and Burnley (who let the kids on the pitch as the teams came out)

Fair enough. I admit I was sceptical when I saw you were taking them to Man U but if you take them to a number of clubs then that's perfectly reasonable.

Don't take them to Villa Park though, I wouldn't want to inflict that on them, plus if they're Arabs they've suffered enough!

It hasn't been brought up but I think West Brom changing the colour of 96 seats in their stadium from blue to red is possibly the tackiest "tribute" to another set of fans I've ever seen. I've no idea how that was approved.

Why are Scottish schools taking kids to English games? I've heard of this a few times.

I've taken a few trips in the last few years. There's loads of companies that do it and the kids love it. Been to Bolton, Sunderland and Man City. All against the same opposition :lol:

It's disappointing that Scottish clubs don't offer fuller packages such as the coaching element but then not all of the English clubs do. Good to see the kids not wanting to go to the bigot brothers though and I hope if they did schools wouldn't take them.

It still just sounds like just a school trip that's based on football though. The only cultural benefit I can see is they might realise that although things might be tough for them in Dundee they don't live in Burnley so maybe life's not so bad after all! Mind you, some of them might come back with something memorable from Amsterdam...

To be honest I see these trips as another way of undermining Scottish football. Take them to Alton Towers instead!

Thanks for the full reply Stumi.

I've taken a few trips in the last few years. There's loads of companies that do it and the kids love it. Been to Bolton, Sunderland and Man City. All against the same opposition :lol:

Sir, sir, why do we need to learn the words to the Fields of Athenry and do we really have to wear this black arm band??? Hmmmm, let me guess... ;)

Doesn't seem very sporting. We'll appoint somebody shit. It's only fair Newcastle do too.

I'm sure Villa will get their act together eventually.

You might enjoy the Championship. The time we were down was one of the most enjoyable seasons I've had as a Newcastle fan. I wouldn't want it all the time, but it was nice to have a season where you could be confident of pumping whoever you were playing that week.

I don't share your belief that will happen. It's all up in the air depending on the ownership but we've been on the verge of being bought out for three or four years and we always end up with the same crayon-munching simpleton running the show.

We should have a massive financial advantage over everyone, possibly including Newcastle as I don't think they put relegation clauses in their contracts.

However, I refuse to be optimistic. Our Chairman has probably just looked up Barry Fry on Wikipedia and had one of his "brilliant" ideas.

There seemed to be an insistence on that Channel 5 FL highlights show that the Championship is one of the hardest leagues in Europe to get out of, and especially so next season. In reality Newcastle ought to be absolutely coasting it, it would be a spectacular fail if they finished outside the top 2. I'd expect Norwich to be comfortably top 3/4 aswell. Aston Villa may have to take a longer term approach due to all areas of the club being in a state of omnishambles, but the other two relegated clubs have huge advantages over the rest.

It's disappointing that Scottish clubs don't offer fuller packages such as the coaching element but then not all of the English clubs do. Good to see the kids not wanting to go to the bigot brothers though and I hope if they did schools wouldn't take them.

It still just sounds like just a school trip that's based on football though. The only cultural benefit I can see is they might realise that although things might be tough for them in Dundee they don't live in Burnley so maybe life's not so bad after all! Mind you, some of them might come back with something memorable from Amsterdam...

To be honest I see these trips as another way of undermining Scottish football. Take them to Alton Towers instead!

Thanks for the full reply Stumi.

Sir, sir, why do we need to learn the words to the Fields of Athenry and do we really have to wear this black arm band??? Hmmmm, let me guess... ;)

Taking them to Alton towers would be undermining M&Ds, IMO

Taking them to Alton towers would be undermining M&Ds, IMO

Leigh Griffiths takes his kids to M&Ds.

There is no room for school parties on those days.

Archived