Yet another US shooting

Experts who study gun violence said the shooting represented an extremely rare occurrence of a young child bringing a gun into school and wounding a teacher.

“It’s very rare and it’s not something the legal system is really designed or positioned to deal with,” said the researcher David Riedman, the founder of a database that tracks US school shootings, dating back to 1970.

He said he was only aware of three other shootings caused by six-year-old students in the time period he had studied. Those include the fatal shooting of a fellow student in 2000 in Michigan and shootings that injured other students in 2011 in Texas and 2021 in Mississippi.

Nothing sums up that backwater more appropriately than the fact that four school shootings carried out by six year olds is considered very rare in statistical terms by their experts. 

An absolute bin of a country. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Nothing sums up that backwater more appropriately than the fact that four school shootings carried out by six year olds is considered very rare in statistical terms by their experts. 

An absolute bin of a country. 

Nah, just shows ‘Merican six year-olds are more developed. With all these stories of books in school indoctrinating kids in the dark arts of LGBTQ+, maybe the damn teacher was grooming them, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, s_dog said:

It doesn't seem to matter what happens in America, no matter how crazy you think it is, there's always another story that appears that takes it up another notch. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64296934

17 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Thankfully not yet another US shooting this time, but fucking hell, America.

I suspect the gun wasn’t “technically” loaded or the baby gunslinger would have jacked a round through someone’s door. Looks like the kid didn’t have the knowledge/strength to chamber a round, which is a hell of a thing to be happy for, but there you have it.

On 08/01/2023 at 08:06, Venti said:

Should be handing out bulletproof vests instead of bead necklaces this Mardi Gras.

Don’t see that working, as most  of the drunk lassies want pretties to flash the goods…the ones interested in a bump stock might be less interesting to you.

image.thumb.jpeg.a372316188ad59adf4346f78ad4f64da.jpeg

Edited by TxRover

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I suspect the gun wasn’t “technically” loaded or the baby gunslinger would have Jack a round through someone’s door. Looks like the kid didn’t have the knowledge/strength to chamber a round, which is a hell of a thing to be happy for, but there you have it.

Aye, you can see and hear him clicking away on the trigger when he's near the camera.

It could've ended horribly . I don't want to think about what might've happened if the cops had turned up and found a toddler pointing a gun at them.

18 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Aye, you can see and hear him clicking away on the trigger when he's near the camera.

It could've ended horribly . I don't want to think about what might've happened if the cops had turned up and found a toddler pointing a gun at them.

Actually, the cops appearing and the kid swinging the gun around would have been interesting from a societal point of view, but truly terrifying from a real life point of view. I suspect there are very few cops in the U.S. willing to shoot a kid that young, but it does say something about the situation over here that I did pause to consider if the child’s race would play into that statement…and it, horrible as it is to say, might.

20 hours ago, TxRover said:

Actually, the cops appearing and the kid swinging the gun around would have been interesting from a societal point of view, but truly terrifying from a real life point of view. I suspect there are very few cops in the U.S. willing to shoot a kid that young, but it does say something about the situation over here that I did pause to consider if the child’s race would play into that statement…and it, horrible as it is to say, might.

I'd imagine you're right, at least I hope so.  But, that would surely depend on how the scenario was playing out in reality i.e. the kid pointing the gun directly at them and them being too far to get to him but near enough to offer a big enough target.  

As to how big a part race would play in such a scenario - we probably know the answer to that.  

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'd imagine you're right, at least I hope so.  But, that would surely depend on how the scenario was playing out in reality i.e. the kid pointing the gun directly at them and them being too far to get to him but near enough to offer a big enough target.  

As to how big a part race would play in such a scenario - we probably know the answer to that.  

Throw it a soft toy or something more interesting and it would probably drop the gun