Yet another US shooting

On 22/01/2023 at 17:52, TxRover said:

Not buying that because of the definitions. There is, on average, (only!) a mass shooting a month now in the U.S., when defining the mass shooting by the FBI standard (as of 2013, three or more dead in one shooting/location). As for gun violence…the U.S. had 45,222 gun deaths in 2020 (most recent data). Of those, 54% were suicide, 43% murder and 3% other (accidental, police shooting, etc).

So, 43% of 45,222 is 19,445, divided by 365 is 53+ a day…easy to bet at least one involves two parties, especially as a murder-suicide would be 2 of some 110 deaths that day.

image.png.7b2adaeb0bc9b976f47eb78fddf1e12f.png

3 every two days.

OK this doesn't define 3 dead as a parameter, but 37 attacks leaving 4 or more dead or injured is absolutely grim.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

image.png.7b2adaeb0bc9b976f47eb78fddf1e12f.png

3 every two days.

OK this doesn't define 3 dead as a parameter, but 37 attacks leaving 4 or more dead or injured is absolutely grim.

Don’t disagree, just think the conflation of various stats is a mess. It would be much better to discuss if there was a single standard instead of interest groups tailoring their stats to support their position or attack someone else’s.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/24/tragedy-upon-tragedy-why-39-us-mass-shootings-already-this-year-is-just-the-start

"Reports from the Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit research group, show the predictability of American mass shootings. Nearly 70 people have been shot dead in mass shootings so far in 2023, according to their data – which classifies a mass shooting as any armed attack in which at least four people are injured or killed, not including the perpetrator.

Broadened out to include all deaths from gun violence, not including suicides, 1,214 people have been killed before the end of the first month of this year, including 120 children. That is likely to increase to tens of thousands by the end of 2023 – the figure for 2022 is 20,200.

In comparison, the latest data from the UK showed that in the course of an entire year ending in March 2022, 31 people were killed by firearms. The UK’s population is 67 million to the US’s 333 million."

7 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/24/tragedy-upon-tragedy-why-39-us-mass-shootings-already-this-year-is-just-the-start

"Reports from the Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit research group, show the predictability of American mass shootings. Nearly 70 people have been shot dead in mass shootings so far in 2023, according to their data – which classifies a mass shooting as any armed attack in which at least four people are injured or killed, not including the perpetrator.

Broadened out to include all deaths from gun violence, not including suicides, 1,214 people have been killed before the end of the first month of this year, including 120 children. That is likely to increase to tens of thousands by the end of 2023 – the figure for 2022 is 20,200.

In comparison, the latest data from the UK showed that in the course of an entire year ending in March 2022, 31 people were killed by firearms. The UK’s population is 67 million to the US’s 333 million."

A modest understatement.

Not a shooting, but Memphis police released the video today of the 5 cops beating Tyre Nichols to death. I haven't watched, and won't, but from what I've heard it's disgusting.  I knew it was going to be horrible when we were sent home from work in the afternoon, both to get us out of downtown, and also to give people time to process the whole thing. Absolutely sickening. 

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Not a shooting, but Memphis police released the video today of the 5 cops beating Tyre Nichols to death. I haven't watched, and won't, but from what I've heard it's disgusting.  I knew it was going to be horrible when we were sent home from work in the afternoon, both to get us out of downtown, and also to give people time to process the whole thing. Absolutely sickening. 

I’ve seen a snippet of it and know how he suffered after the beating and in the hospital too. Second degree murder isn’t enough.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I’ve seen a snippet of it and know how he suffered after the beating and in the hospital too. Second degree murder isn’t enough.

Given Derek Chauvin got 'only' 2nd degree murder it's unlikely they'd get 1st degree murder to stick in this case.  I guess they'd prefer a shoe-in verdict than risk a not-guilty on 1st degree and all the outcry a not-guilty would bring.  

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

Given Derek Chauvin got 'only' 2nd degree murder it's unlikely they'd get 1st degree murder to stick in this case.  I guess they'd prefer a shoe-in verdict than risk a not-guilty on 1st degree and all the outcry a not-guilty would bring.  

Agree with that, and, to be honest, the charge matches the crime….except for the fact it was terribly OTT.

5 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Meanwhile, we're up to 42 mass shootings in 26 days...

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Land of the free...?!? 😐

Land of the Free Fire Zone.

Talking with Mrs.F_P this morning re. 'Murca and as usual, we end up on the guns topic and she nonchalantly mentioned that Texas is a 'permitless carry' state. I was stunned so Wiki'd this.......

"Texas is often perceived to have some of the most permissive gun laws in the United States.[1] Since September 1, 2021, a permit is not required for a person both residents and non-residents 21 and over to carry a handgun either openly or concealed in most places in Texas, granted they do not have any prior felony convictions.[2] Prior to this date, the Texas Department of Public Safety issued a License to Carry a Handgun to an eligible person on a shall issue basis. Texas has state preemption of gun laws, so local governments can not further restrict or regulate the possession or use of firearms. Texas does not restrict NFA weapons that are legally possessed under federal law. The state does not require background checks for private sales of firearms.

Black powder pistols and long arms are not considered to be firearms in the state of Texas and may be freely carried either open or concealed without permit or prejudice."

So this begs the question.......does @TxRover carry a handgun when he nips into the 7-11 for a packet of tabs ?

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

11 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Talking with Mrs.F_P this morning re. 'Murca and as usual, we end up on the guns topic and she nonchalantly mentioned that Texas is a 'permitless carry' state. I was stunned so Wiki'd this.......

"Texas is often perceived to have some of the most permissive gun laws in the United States.[1] Since September 1, 2021, a permit is not required for a person both residents and non-residents 21 and over to carry a handgun either openly or concealed in most places in Texas, granted they do not have any prior felony convictions.[2] Prior to this date, the Texas Department of Public Safety issued a License to Carry a Handgun to an eligible person on a shall issue basis. Texas has state preemption of gun laws, so local governments can not further restrict or regulate the possession or use of firearms. Texas does not restrict NFA weapons that are legally possessed under federal law. The state does not require background checks for private sales of firearms.

Black powder pistols and long arms are not considered to be firearms in the state of Texas and may be freely carried either open or concealed without permit or prejudice."

So this begs the question.......does @TxRover carry a handgun when he nips into the 7-11 for a packet of tabs ?

I’m not so in need of a metallic phallus to do that. The addition of, as they like to call it, Constitutional Carry, is a nightmare. Lots of inadequate males wearing guns on their hips to feel better about themselves, wandering about with no concept of gun security or the risks wearing a weapon openly involves. There are a few locations where you cannot carry, mainly Government buildings, schools and the like.

The intelligent gun owner, if they feel the need to carry, will still carry in a concealed manner, reducing the chance of them being targeted for displaying a weapon or panicking others. Of course, on that front, if you are going somewhere that you feel the need to carry a weapon, you should be asking yourself if and why you are going there.

The change in Texas has been pretty significant, with Concealed Carry by License happening in 1995, and slow steady loosening happening until recently, when the floodgates opened. When it first happened the class was two full days and a live shooting course or fire…that was slowly turned into a joke (It’s now six total hours with a short shooting test). The CHL has become a LTC, and effectively only provides reciprocity in most states, and eases gun purchases by allowing you to skip the wait for a background check.

But none of that answers the basic question, and my answer to that is…I decline to answer.

P.S. It used to be legal to carry most anywhere, anytime until the Black Panthers started doing it in the ‘60’s, which is when the politicians started passing laws restricting carry…(see Governor of California Reagan, Ronald).

Not a shooting, but indicative of a mindset…

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/missouri/articles/2023-02-08/missouri-house-votes-against-limits-on-kids-carrying-guns

Here’s a gem about kids carrying guns in public places without adult supervision…

“While it may be intuitive that a 14-year-old has no legitimate purpose, it doesn't actually mean that they're going to harm someone. We don't know that yet,” said Rep. Tony Lovasco, a Republican from the St. Louis suburb of O'Fallon. “Generally speaking, we don't charge people with crimes because we think they're going to hurt someone.”

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not a shooting, but indicative of a mindset…

I wonder what will happen first, a 13 y.o. with an AR-15 opens up in a Wendy's or the cops blow away a 14y.o because they thought there was 'intent to use'.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/09/missouri-rejects-ban-children-carrying-guns-in-public

4 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

or the cops blow away a 14y.o because they thought there was 'intent to use'.

2014. Tamir Rice. A 12-year old playing with a toy gun. 

At the time, the best the police apologists could come up with was “They have a difficult job” and “Well, he was big for his age. “

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2020/11/20/remembering-tamir-rice-police-shooting-12-year-old-playing-toy-gun-energized-criminal

11 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

2014. Tamir Rice. A 12-year old playing with a toy gun. 

At the time, the best the police apologists could come up with was “They have a difficult job” and “Well, he was big for his age. “

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2020/11/20/remembering-tamir-rice-police-shooting-12-year-old-playing-toy-gun-energized-criminal

That article is a depressing read. Nothing appears to have changed.

Edited by s_dog