Yet another US shooting

Ongoing hunt right now here where 2 teachers have been shot by a student who go away. 2.7 miles from my work (where I am typing from).

Feckin nuts, we are still on course to return to Scotland in 2024 but cannot come quick enough.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/east-high-school-shooting-lockdown-denver/

3 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Ongoing hunt right now here where 2 teachers have been shot by a student who go away. 2.7 miles from my work (where I am typing from).

Feckin nuts, we are still on course to return to Scotland in 2024 but cannot come quick enough.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/east-high-school-shooting-lockdown-denver/

Great, now there’ll be more calls to arm teachers. Hell, my own district just approved the “Guardian” program which will arm teachers…which is just gonna result in accidents and forgotten guns in bathrooms. Happy the kid on,y has one more year of high school, but college doesn’t look any better right now.

21 hours ago, TxRover said:

Great, now there’ll be more calls to arm teachers. Hell, my own district just approved the “Guardian” program which will arm teachers…which is just gonna result in accidents and forgotten guns in bathrooms. Happy the kid on,y has one more year of high school, but college doesn’t look any better right now.

gunsteach.thumb.jpg.eb1bb14d46cf43910d6475ea9852a643.jpg

39 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

What chance do they have of ever getting this under control, when these are the leaders.  America does know that this shit is not normal, right?

No, and none. Free-dumb, duh!

Edited by TxRover

Gets to the point where honestly, you become desensitised to something as fucking abhorrent as murdered children.

America as a nation, as a culture have made their stance clear. A few dozen mass shootings a year, including primary and nursery aged children, is a price more than worth paying to avoid serious gun reforms. Even a conversation about it is a massive no-no.

Good people with guns stop bad people with guns they will tell you. But they don't. Bad people with guns clearly breach the divide far, far too often. 

As an outsider looking in, the whole country seems crazy.

A significant proportion of the population seem to think that a song and a bit of cloth are more important than basic human rights; that the right to bear arms, enshrined in law over two centuries ago when times, and arms, were much different, still trumps the right of a child, today, to leave for school in the morning with a reasonable certainty of seeing their family again.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to grow up as a child there, or to be a parent; are they constantly wondering, 'Is it our turn today?'

Terfs wanking themselves into a frenzy over the news that the perpetrator is trans. The dawning realisation that the perp isn't trans in the way they were assuming is a sight to behold. Of course, virtually no concern shown for the victims or mention of the insanity of US gun laws, just sheer joy at the prospect of some ammunition to beat trans people with.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Terfs wanking themselves into a frenzy over the news that the perpetrator is trans. The dawning realisation that the perp isn't trans in the way they were assuming is a sight to behold. Of course, virtually no concern shown for the victims or mention of the insanity of US gun laws, just sheer joy at the prospect of some ammunition to beat trans people with.

I hope to f**k no one is getting misgendered.

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I hope to f**k no one is getting misgendered.

It's difficult to discern who precisely you are attempting to mock here, since much of the aforementioned backtracking and straw-clutching involves GC's who have previously been adamant that they can 'always tell' desperately concocting excuses to explain why this time they were so 'confused'. Seems that the GC's are happy to 'misgender' people not only as a deliberate act of spite, but also when it's a convenient but patently horseshit excuse for jumping to prejudiced conclusions and exposing themselves for the the hateful arseholes they are.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Gets to the point where honestly, you become desensitised to something as fucking abhorrent as murdered children.

America as a nation, as a culture have made their stance clear. A few dozen mass shootings a year, including primary and nursery aged children, is a price more than worth paying to avoid serious gun reforms. Even a conversation about it is a massive no-no.

Good people with guns stop bad people with guns they will tell you. But they don't. Bad people with guns clearly breach the divide far, far too often. 

Frankly its their own fault - they could change it any time they want but continue to elect politicians who trumpet their "gun freedoms".

Some stats that a civilised country wouldnt accept - 

• In 2020 guns overtook car accidents as the leading cause of death in children and teens.
  • This was the 128th mass shooting event in 2023 (one where at least four people are wounded or killed).
  • This was the 89th incident of gun violence at schools or nurseries in 2023. The graph below shows the numbers and the trend suggests that 2023 will be a(nother) record breaker.

image.thumb.png.8ad4eee8689be6fec2cfd239de983ee7.png

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's difficult to discern who precisely you are attempting to mock here, since much of the aforementioned backtracking and straw-clutching involves GC's who have previously been adamant that they can 'always tell' desperately concocting excuses to explain why this time they were so 'confused'. Seems that the GC's are happy to 'misgender' people not only as a deliberate act of spite, but also when it's a convenient but patently horseshit excuse for jumping to prejudiced conclusions and exposing themselves for the the hateful arseholes they are.

It is silly that the likes of the New York Times and CNN go to great lengths to apologise for not being respectful and mistakingly deadnaming and misgendering a murderous psychopath. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Frankly its their own fault - they could change it any time they want but continue to elect politicians who trumpet their "gun freedoms".

Some stats that a civilised country wouldnt accept - 

• In 2020 guns overtook car accidents as the leading cause of death in children and teens.
  • This was the 128th mass shooting event in 2023 (one where at least four people are wounded or killed).
  • This was the 89th incident of gun violence at schools or nurseries in 2023. The graph below shows the numbers and the trend suggests that 2023 will be a(nother) record breaker.

image.thumb.png.8ad4eee8689be6fec2cfd239de983ee7.png

There is a massive factor that no-one will seem to actually say aloud either - schools, particularly middle and high schools in the US are absolutely rampant with bullies, tormentors and aggressors. This has always gone on and with the added factor of phones, the internet and social media, kids simply can't go or stay home to avoid it any longer. I don't think the fact there's been a constant upward trend since 2011 (the real advent of smartphones) after decades of low stagnation is purely coincidental.

I see videos popping up on my twitter or YT feed now and then of some 13-17 year old kid picking on another kid in class, sometimes even picking on teachers  and it kicking off into a fight that the aggressor will normally win as they've preyed on someone obviously weaker than them. All around are children giggling and filming to make sure that as soon as the stop button is hit, it's immortalised online forever.

The comments on these posts are typically full of people sympathising about how horrifically the kids in the videos are being treated and yet no-one seems to be willing or able to connect the dots that in many, many cases, these are the exact profile of person who one day will decide enough's enough and come in with fucking guns and shoot up dozens of innocent people.  I understand that it is a LOT more nuanced than this...not every bullied child will come in and shoot up a school but I'd wager that a massive high percentage of school shooters are a perfect storm of mental disorder and tormented by others as a result of it.

20 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

How many of these tragic shootings need to happen before they realise that letting people have firearms is a terrible idea?

Do they really value the freedom to own firearms over the lives of children?

Yes. That is the most unequivocal of all yesses. They do.

This is not even a freedom though - it's a fucking falsehood. On January 6th 2021 the very reason the right to bear arms was introduced, was severely tested. The right to bear arms is essentially to allow the people to rise against a tyrannical Government, so in the face of what they deemed a 'tyrannical Government', they descended on Capitol Hill, armed to the teeth and were both condemned and absolutely bitch-slapped for doing so. They could take up their arms against the US Army/Govt all they like. No matter how many of them there are, they'd be churned down into a red paste within seconds.

There is no limit on the number of these tragedies - in fact they will view the reasonable and proportionate response to the increasing number of incidents as 'more guns'.

Edited by djchapsticks