The Youth Academy Challenge

RandomGuy.

Yeah im still reliant on a 36 year old centre half. Got one in my intake but hes only rated at one grey star....

Retraining my right back as a centre half as ive a more talented young right back coming through.

Meant to mention this - I'm no longer ranked the worst team in Scotland's 4 top tiers - I've moved to 2nd worst ahead of Arbroath.

When looking at this list I clicked that Annan we're currently playing in the highland league - some away days tbf!!!!

:lol:

2019/2020 - Just Keep Swimming

Transfers - Nobody in or out.

post-10647-0-08935500-1459964943_thumb.j

Squad - Not many changes here, a few picked every now and then from the youths to cover suspensions/injuries but generally kept it as it is. 

post-10647-0-52111100-1459965042_thumb.j

Youth Intake - Bleh, not much here.  A few taken on just to add depth/cover but not a stella year. I've also managed to get the board to agree to an extra 2 coaches for the youth team, which is nice.

post-10647-0-35287700-1459967460_thumb.j

Season - Mixed bag here with a hectic end.  First of all got my first Cup win in the Challenge Cup with a 2-0 away win to Abroath.  Not a massive milestone really but for me it was a big moment.  I lost to Montrose 3-2 in the second Round despite taking the lead twice.  As for the Scottish Cup, a draw to Gretna 2008 should have seen me into the 3rd round.  I lost 1-0.  Arse.

post-10647-0-13199500-1459965406_thumb.j

As for the league well I started winning 3 out of he first 5 games, started to draw and then the middle slump hit and hit hard.  10 games without a win (although not all losses, a fair amount of drawn games in there) so resorted to a tried and tested tactic I have used with County with reasonable sucsess and slowly turned things around.  A big win against Berwick with 3 games to go lifted me off the bottom spot which I held with 1 game to go.

post-10647-0-16881800-1459968129_thumb.j

The last week of games was not kind, but not cruel either. I had a tough game away to Brechin while 10th place East Fife where away to Annan. 

post-10647-0-46790000-1459967705_thumb.j

A point will seal it for me.

post-10647-0-16881800-1459968129_thumb.j post-10647-0-44449300-1459968627_thumb.j

FUCKING GET IN THERE.......sorry lost a bit of composure there.  I do apologise.

In the playoff, East Fife lost to Arbroath after extra time.

2019/2020 - Just Keep Swimming

Transfers - Nobody in or out.

attachicon.gifTransfers.jpg

Squad - Not many changes here, a few picked every now and then from the youths to cover suspensions/injuries but generally kept it as it is.

attachicon.gifSquad.jpg

Youth Intake - Bleh, not much here. A few taken on just to add depth/cover but not a stella year. I've also managed to get the board to agree to an extra 2 coaches for the youth team, which is nice.

attachicon.gifYouth Intake.jpg

Season - Mixed bag here with a hectic end. First of all got my first Cup win in the Challenge Cup with a 2-0 away win to Abroath. Not a massive milestone really but for me it was a big moment. I lost to Montrose 3-2 in the second Round despite taking the lead twice. As for the Scottish Cup, a draw to Gretna 2008 should have seen me into the 3rd round. I lost 1-0. Arse.

attachicon.gif1st cup win.jpg

As for the league well I started winning 3 out of he first 5 games, started to draw and then the middle slump hit and hit hard. 10 games without a win (although not all losses, a fair amount of drawn games in there) so resorted to a tried and tested tactic I have used with County with reasonable sucsess and slowly turned things around. A big win against Berwick with 3 games to go lifted me off the bottom spot which I held with 1 game to go.

attachicon.gifTable b4 last.jpg

The last week of games was not kind, but not cruel either. I had a tough game away to Brechin while 10th place East Fife where away to Annan.

attachicon.gifLast week.jpg

A point will seal it for me.

attachicon.gifTable b4 last.jpg attachicon.gifFinal results.jpg

FUCKING GET IN THERE.......sorry lost a bit of composure there. I do apologise.

In the playoff, East Fife lost to Arbroath after extra time.

Decent season! I've just started 19/20 season and think I could maybe do something this year!

Probably the usual false hope :lol:

Decent season! I've just started 19/20 season and think I could maybe do something this year!

Probably the usual false hope :lol:

I thought that as well for that season, and the previous.  Starts well and then that slump hits, this was the first time I came close to riding it out and changing it in time to have an effect.

Having great success with 442 and 4411.

I have 2 strikers in my squad. McCaughie (goal machine) and Ross Kavanagh who is in as he's my only other striker and the only player I have who can play AMC.

Kavanaghs done his cruciate and will be out for 12 months.

Shite.

Gala Fairydean Rovers - Season 4 - 2019/20

As ever all my screenshots are taken at the end of the season.

I think I said in my last update i felt  I was finally getting somewhere and could be in for something special....

Squad - 

post-32505-0-80445600-1460274681_thumb.j

My squad has really taken shape now, with cover for all positions. Sure not everyone is very good but I have options! My key men remain in the spine of my team - Kennedy in goal, Luidgi Hoareau in the CM (He won fans POTY and YPOTY for the 3rd consecutive season) and McCaughie up top. 

Isaacs has cemented his starting berth in CM alongside Luidgi and is my first Academy prospect to nail down a regular starting berth.I mentioned earlier my 2nd striker Kavanagh done his cruciate, this mainly facilitated a switch to 4-4-1-1 but when I did throw 2 up top young Lewis Munro stepped up in style with 5 goals from 7 starts in League 2 and a goal in the Scottish Cup.

Intake -

post-32505-0-20055100-1460275045_thumb.j

Paterson :wub: - first player I've had come in at 16 and be better than what I have. He became the youngest ever player  and goalscorer for Gala Fairydean Rovers on his debut, at 16 years and 10 days old. An injury forced him to miss the final 4 weeks of the season so he only managed 4 appearaces in the season, 2 goals and 2 assists fills me with joy.

Transfers -

post-32505-0-39240900-1460275322_thumb.j

Obligatory Transfer screenshot - no-one in as per the rules - still not lost a player to another club

League Table -

post-32505-0-77400300-1460275381_thumb.j

Brilliant season. Forfar ran away with it and Stenny were comfortably 2nd throughout but I was sure 3rd place was mine. Unfortunately I bottled my last 2 matches and dropped into 4th on the last day....

This set me up to play the League 1 team in the playoff first round - East Fife. I've not screenied it but I was soundly beaten with a 2-1 loss at fortress Netherdale and a 4-o scudding in Methil. Minter.

Match of the Season - 

post-32505-0-57418200-1460275583_thumb.j

1 minute away from holding Premiership runners up Rangers to a draw and replay. Gutted but what an effort! 38k zombies allowed me to scoop a bumper pay packet in excess of £450k.

David McCaughie appreciation Society -

post-32505-0-43151200-1460275663_thumb.j

He's never won a POTY at club or league level but has finished top league 2 goalscorer for 3 consecutive seasons, breaking his own record each time. 24 (it's actually 25 but doesn't seem to credit the rel. playoff goal anywhere..) League goals, 31 in all competitions - WHAT A GUY.

Going into my second season with only two central midfielders, ones 16, the others 17...

Took Championship side Alloa to penalties in the Challenge Cup before losing 4-3 on them. Pretty gutted.

Finally had teams bid for my players.

Dumbarton and Ayr lodging £0 bids for #sampatz #thefuture.

No thanks

I had on like that too, Falkirk and Ayr were after one of my defenders.  Falkirk did come back with a structured deal of £10,000 but still have told them to do one.  He's on a 3 year deal anyway so hope to tempt that price up

The total shiteness of this challenge can be neatly summed up by the fact I've just asked a soon to be 37 year old Grant Munro to reconsider retirement as he's one of my key players

The total shiteness of this challenge can be neatly summed up by the fact I've just asked a soon to be 37 year old Grant Munro to reconsider retirement as he's one of my key players

I wished I had managed to keep Munro for a couple of seasons.....it's such as struggle without any experience to lead the team.

I wished I had managed to keep Munro for a couple of seasons.....it's such as struggle without any experience to lead the team.

Yeah I'm terrified of when he leaves, need to pray I keep the 32 year old Houston as without him I'll have absolutely no proper leader.

Despite my 17 year old central midfield, I've picked up ten points in my first four games  :lol:

Started this on FM15 with Brora and finished the first season in 8th with a semi-respectable 37 points. Got to the point in March where I was told to get 7 points from 5 games to save my job, and I just about scraped it with a 3-2 win at Cliftonhill.

Looks like I'm going to lose my goalie, Grant Munro and Kenny Deuchar; all of which is a disaster, as my youth intake was an absolute shambles. If I come out of the coming season still in the job it would be an achievement.

I decided to can Iceland and start in Scotland like others on the thread. Started and got Cove Rangers. The realisation that you have decent experienced players (Stuart Duff and Chris Clark) is quickly offset by the realisation that they're mid 30s and you've got absolutely no one to replace them.

After getting shafted out both cups in the first round by championship teams I started with an away win against Clyde a couple of defeats and a draw. Not terrible.

My goalie was injured throughout this though and had to play a grey 16 year old for the first few games...

Gala Fairydean Rovers - Season 5 - 2020/21

f**k sake.

Squad

post-32505-0-87591900-1460753414_thumb.j

Same pish but everyone getting worse.

Transfers

post-32505-0-95651600-1460753440_thumb.j

Nothing to see here

Intake

post-32505-0-80997500-1460753471_thumb.j

I'd rather get aids than this youth intake

League table

post-32505-0-11985100-1460753505_thumb.j

9th. Pish.

Was looking good for a playoff place at the halfway point. I then picked up 9 points from my last 18 matches concluding with a fantastic run of 1 point in my last 12 games.

Also got my obligatory away draw to Sevco and took another 8-0 fisting. Still liked the money.

David McCaughie scraped 20 goals and his (by his standards) poor season set the tone. A holocaust of a season.