The Youth Academy Challenge

RandomGuy.

I'm very upset tbh.

I've put the bold Dee Fiant on holiday applying for any jobs he can get and I've added a new gaffer in to take over Gala Fairydean Rovers, completely unburdened from the restrictions if the challenge I want to see what I can do with them.

May update in a separate thread as I appreciate this no longer qualifies for this thread :bairn:

So I've not been able to update recently as my laptop (which was on it's last legs) finally gave up the fight and took the hard drive with it.  And guess who didn't sync save game data up with Stream.....

post-31888-Jim-Harbaugh-FUCK-gif-Niners-

The season wasn't going so well tbh and I fear a sacking was on the cards.  My confidence rating had dipped below 40% for the first time and I was having issues with squad moral.  A straight run of 18 games without wining any of them wasn't helping.

So thats me.....

giphy.gif

But I'll start again with the new PC which I had been building over the last week or so (timing sucks), with a recovery story better than Rangers stratospheric rise through the leagues......

q0wVqra.jpg

.........it just may take a while.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Started doing this a few nights ago, usual shitfest with constant bottom place finishes and unrelenting misery, blah blah blah BUT just finished a pre-season friendly against Forres and Derk Boerrigter is playing for them, having signed directly from Celtic at the end of the second season :lol:.

Season 1 - Return of the Llama's

Gretna 2008 have finally risen from the ashes that was Gretna FC under a much more structured club structure.  They have made it known that mistakes from the past have been learned and huge money on players and Llama Steak Dinners will not be tolerated.  Gretna's 2008 chairman Stephen Herron has agreed with new manger Scott MacDonald that the club will lead a revolutionary new way of thinking in Scottish football and utilise local talent only, no signings. 

Critics have called the plan "Stupid", "Arrogant" and "incredibly dumb considering most of the youth in the area can't be arsed playing Football".  They do not hold out much hope.

Starting team 

qCRcwOt.jpg

Not much to deal with here, but it was nice to have a full team and not fall back on greyed out players for a start.  The lack of an out and out goalscorer hurt us this season, plenty possession but no killer instinct.

Youth Intake

Q4MT74U.jpg

Everyone signed on, not many that can make the jump straight into the team, but possible potential in there.  I have an under 20 manager and coach along with a Head of Youth Development.  Hoping that I can get the coaching up as high as possible to bring on players witout throwing them straight into the 1st team.

aOB2zcP.jpg

DZ7cBHM.jpg

With 2 away games to SPFL teams in the cups (got the the 4th round of the Scottish Cup....a persona record) I've managed to get a decent amount of money in as a result.  After a quick discussion with the board, an agreement was reached to re-invest the funds into the youth.

Final Table

mta0aWT.jpg

Safety was securred with a game to go, but in reality it would have taken a complete "Hibsing" for me to finish last, Arbroath just not good enough.  However there were a few issues through the season.  1st of all I have a player who was in the boozer the night before the game and then another who picked up a yellow card almost every game.....discipline is an issue with this lot.

ThbGrep.jpg

qGA9VxH.jpg

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Started having a stab at this (just in time for exams - huzzah!). Got Nairn County who were taken over by the fans on day 2 of my career. Increased my junior coaching straight away, set one of my managerial targets as bringing youth through and thankfully got an away tie vs Hearts in the League cup which boosted the coffers by ~ 100k. I think the key here is to get any semi reasonable players already in your first team squad signed up on long term contracts as it will surely take at least 2-3 years for even the best youth prospects to come good.

Whenever I play FM I always go East Fife so I'm used to the lower leagues aspect, but this is tough. Half my defeats have been followed by "Nairn unlucky in defeat". And despite my earnings from the Hearts game I'm losing wads of cash because we only get 100 folk through the turnstiles every second weekend.

post-13694-0-87793800-1461527350_thumb.p

post-13694-0-16298200-1461527402_thumb.p

Edited by Big Fifer

Whenever I play FM I always go East Fife so I'm used to the lower leagues aspect, but this is tough. Half my defeats have been followed by "Nairn unlucky in defeat". And despite my earnings from the Hearts game I'm losing wads of cash because we only get 100 folk through the turnstiles every second weekend.

Welcome to the challenge......it's hell.

Welcome to the challenge......it's hell.

Could be over the within 24 hours of starting! Montrose went and took 13/15 points, and I'm bottom with 6 games to go. Current table and my youth intake. They look good but it's just because my team is so shit. I've had to play 1 up top all season because I only have two strikers, the ones in the intake are murder and my main man that's somehow on £500 a week hasn't scored in ten games.

post-13694-0-90078500-1461531696_thumb.p

post-13694-0-36157400-1461531718_thumb.p

So after a spawny win against Brechin we were somehow even on points with two games left.

post-13694-0-82877400-1461534378_thumb.p

Next up: East Fife. Could we hold our nerve against the very team I support? 

post-13694-0-51837700-1461534478_thumb.p

Naw. Pumped, and with a player sent off. So it went to the last day of the season. If we win at home to Queen's Park and Brechin don't win, we're safe. Could we do it? Could we pull off the great escape? For some reason we were 1/6 favourites.

post-13694-0-56730400-1461534933_thumb.p

Naw. Despite Brechin losing we couldn't find a goal even  with 3 upfront for the last 35 minutes in overload. What is it they say about the bookies always being right? The play-offs beckoned.

Edited by Big Fifer

post-13694-0-38455300-1461535218_thumb.p

The might Clachnacuddin stood between us and League 2 survival, who boasted ex-Caley Thistle starlet Ally Ridgers, ex-East Fife's Lloyd Young and former Clyde man Ryan Frances. These were the only three I recognised. And they're all injured. I had hope. The first leg we were away:

post-13694-0-48128500-1461535996_thumb.p

Well, it could have been worse. They hit the woodwork twice, but the last minute penalty really wasn't what we wanted. I've had a skim of the rules and I don't think away goals count but I guess we'll see. We had the better of the game though, which isn't really something we've had this season. £500 a week talisman Stuart Leslie also had his shooting boots on for once, let's hope he keeps them on for the home leg, as we have a full strength squad to choose from.

post-13694-0-39679300-1461537403_thumb.p

A glorious 90 minutes where Ross McCord dominated the first half with 2 goals including a 30 yard screamer, and was promptly snapped to within an inch of his life and subbed at HT.

post-13694-0-78998900-1461537397_thumb.p

So the mighty Nairn would live another day. A couple of the youngsters came through are already almost as good as a few players that warmed my bench this season so that's promising. I switched to 4-4-2 instead of 4-1-4-1 for the last 8 games or so which I think helped but not sure how I'm going to work it. I might have to let go Stu Leslie though, £500 a week is absolutely mental and given he only scored 10 goals this season I can't justify it as he's dragging our balance down on his own.

The misery will last at least 1 season longer.

post-13694-0-53124800-1461584078_thumb.p

Another season in the basement beckons. Our pre-season filled me with great hope; 10 games, 0 wins, 0 draws, 10 losses. A great platform to build on.

post-13694-0-79638900-1461584120_thumb.p

But so far so good. A few excellent results in there, including a win over Motherwell and a 7-0 trouncing of QP. After thinking I could Leslie, I failed so signed him on a new contract instead with a 30% wage cut. This decision has proved pivotal.

post-13694-0-19102500-1461584196_thumb.p

At the halfway stage he's absolutely romping the league. From last years intake I think I've got myself 2 future CM's, a left back and a right back. Which all in all is terrific news. The first 4/5 years of this challenge will be tough though because I expect to have to sacrifice results at the end of the season if I'm safe in order to get the youngsters some game time.