When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sturgeon isn't daft, more young folk are pro indy whilst the older are more likely to be against it. Good thing is the older are nearer the grave so it's just a matter of waiting until the time is right and she will call it when she's confident of winning.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Personally I strongly believe we should wait until 2025 to 2030 because I don't think we're respecting the last result by going too soon but the electorate have voted otherwise I'm afraid.

I believe in democracy and I accept I'm on the wrong side of the argument. The SNP have won the right to set their own timetable on the issue.

Fair enough response. 

I think you're actually in the majority, the SNP dont want one so early either but they need to keep the Yesdas under control. Red meat during the campaign, fire and brimstone when the results come in, meek avoidance when said time comes...

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

Sturgeon isn't daft, more young folk are pro indy whilst the older are more likely to be against it. Good thing is the older are nearer the grave so it's just a matter of waiting until the time is right and she will call it when she's confident of winning.

Do you have a rough idea at what time this mythical death of the Unionists is? 

Personally I strongly believe we should wait until 2025 to 2030 because I don't think we're respecting the last result by going too soon but the electorate have voted otherwise I'm afraid.
I believe in democracy and I accept I'm on the wrong side of the argument. The SNP have won the right to set their own timetable on the issue.
Oaksoft, is that really you?

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Meet me at Ruel St and we can reduce the unionist count by one. 

5 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Sooner the better. Most young folk I know are pro Indy whilst all the coffin dodgers are against it. It's like the United Ireland issue, only a matter of time. The union is on it's last legs.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Not sure we would win one currently. However to keep the pro indy side happy..we really need to see some movement this parliament. Happy for it to be towards the latter, few months after Johnson wins a GE landslide

A pre referendum GE would also give a good indication of how an indyref campaign was going (if there was a unionist surge and an SNP drop in the vote, or vice versa). I can see them not wanting the campaigns to overlap, though.

9 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

But it's not within their control already. The SG isn't able to pass legislation that impedes on the rest of the UK, quite rightly. The SNP have duped some people along into stoking up their grievance angle that they rely on. 

I'm sure they can hold a referendum on the subject without it being legally binding... 

Grievance angle? What,being dragged out of the EU against the democratic will of the Scottish people? I thought we were a "partnership of equals?" A campaign of xenophobia and lies in England wins the day and we should just"suck it up?" What a craven, forelock tugging serf you are.

14 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Sooner the better. Most young folk I know are pro Indy whilst all the coffin dodgers are against it. It's like the United Ireland issue, only a matter of time. The union is on it's last legs.

So we've been told for the past 20 years! 

So you would hold one as soon as possible even during the pandemic? 

10 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

Grievance angle? What,being dragged out of the EU against the democratic will of the Scottish people? I thought we were a "partnership of equals?" A campaign of xenophobia and lies in England wins the day and we should just"suck it up?" What a craven, forelock tugging serf you are.

That's cute. 

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Actually Sturgeon was calling for one to happen last year before covid got in the way.

I think you're wrong about this.

She wants one all right. She just wants to make sure she wins it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to call how IndyRef2 will go.

If it's another No, I suspect the public will move away from this and it could be decades before we go again so they need to get the timing right.

I know she wants one, the point I've made is I don't believe she wants one when she isn't certain that they would win which quite a few people seem to agree with, some others dont. 

That is something that seems to annoy some of the more hardliners. 

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Now is not the time....

I'll get my coat.

It's Sunday - folk need a day in a beer garden somewhere. Tuesday is plenty soon enough. 

40 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

The point here is that the UK government is saying it will deny the democratic will of the freely elected Scottish parliament. No one forced people to vote SNP or green party. If we sit by idly and allow them to stop this, what's next for them to legislate out of the Scottish parliament control?

ETA I would not want a referendum if we were still in the EU. That's the material change that constitutes the need for another independence referendum. Clearly we're not a partnership of equals if 68% of Scottish voters can be ignored

I agree with this. Had the UK remained in the EU, there would be no grounds to consider that a material change had taken place. I would not support a further referendum in that scenario.

But Brexit was a perfect storm really and exposed a genuine schism between the political perspective of people in England and Scotland. Yes, there are areas of England (metropolitan) which are aligned with Scotland  - but not enough. 

If England wants to move to the right politically, that's fine. What's not fine is to take Scotland along for the ride and locking the car doors to prevent us having the option to get out