When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Jedi

Still think 2024 is the best time....allow 3 years to sort out Covid recovery of the economy, the NHS etc. 

Meanwhile Brexit will unravel, and the Tories will be heading for another Westminster majority...best conditions for a Ref.  Anywhere before is too risky.

6 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I don't think the majority of Indy supporters would agree right enough. 

We will go for it when Nicola feels ready, happy to be guided by her. Whether its next year or in 3 years time. I trust her, that's why I vote SNP.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

3 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

We will go for it when Nicola feels ready, happy to be guided by her. Whether its next year or in 3 years time. I trust her, that's why I vote SNP.

And if she doesn't feel ready in 3 years time? Is the trust still there? 

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

For me yeah. I 100% trust in her to call it when she feels the time is right.

23 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

As soon as possible for me, yeah.

Ok. So in this scenario asap doesnt actually mean as soon as possible but as soon as Nicola thinks she'll win, I disagree. I think she needs to hold one in the next parliamentary term no matter what. 

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'd agree with that. Alba was the result of that, although thankfully, like all extremists, they were utterly rejected at the polls.

On an issue like this, there will always be strong emotions brewing.

I said elsewhere that for me, independence is simply a boring bureaucratic switch between our affairs being decided in London to being decided in Edinburgh and that is a better situation because up North, we seem to want a different kind of politics. That is what drove my Yes vote last time.

Others seem intent on wrapping this up in flags (both sides) and "freedom from England". Neither of those appeals to me (probably because I actually lived, worked, got married and had kids down there) and I do believe that it's this angle which is causing Yes so much trouble when it comes to getting to the 60% approval barrier needed to avoid further referenda and division.

Two members of my family who have lived here most of their lives but consider themselves English have changed from Yes to No because they have come to believe that there is a barely hidden anti-English sentiment driving this. They won't be alone in that. That's the problem with using flags to win arguments. You end up leaving people who would normally support you, felling targetted and isolated. I don't think Yes can win until that is sorted out.

How are these different?

12 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Ok. So in this scenario asap doesnt actually mean as soon as possible but as soon as Nicola thinks she'll win, I disagree. I think she needs to hold one in the next parliamentary term no matter what. 

As soon as Nicola feels the time is right, that's why we elect her as leader.

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

As soon as Nicola feels the time is right, that's why we elect her as leader.

Yeah so as I said not "as soon as possible" like you previously said. You actually mean as soon as Nicola sees it being the case. I can see why some other Indy supporters don't agree with that position. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

For me yeah. I 100% trust in her to call it when she feels the time is right.

Why did she ask in 2019 when it most definitely wasn't the right time. 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

Yeah so as I said not "as soon as possible" like you previously said. You actually mean as soon as Nicola sees it being the case. I can see why some other Indy supporters don't agree with that position. 

If she calls it tomorrow during a pandemic then that’s fine, if she waits then that is also fine. I trust her to do the right thing.

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

If she calls it tomorrow during a pandemic then that’s fine, if she waits then that is also fine. I trust her to do the right thing.

Yeah I've gathered that. This is different from as soon as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

You asked would I be happy for a referendum during a pandemic and I said yeah.

You said.

57 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

As soon as possible for me, yeah.

And then subsequently said you'd be happy with one whenever Sturgeon sees fit. Which includes holding one later than "as soon as possible" 

I admire your faith in Nicola. 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

You said.

And then subsequently said you'd be happy with one whenever Sturgeon sees fit. Which includes holding one later than "as soon as possible" 

I admire your faith in Nicola. 

Great leader who isn’t afraid to admit mistakes she has made, that’s why I have faith in her.

14 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Great leader who isn’t afraid to admit mistakes she has made, that’s why I have faith in her.

The ones she can remember that is..

I dunno I find blind loyalty to politicians to be pretty servile and pathetic but each to their own. 

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Eh?

Because one of them is a dull change of administration location and personnel and the other one is about running around in kilts wielding claymores like it's still 1745.

Are you trying to woosh me with a question like this?

The entire debate about independence needs to be toned right down emotionally, if there is to be any chance of getting to a solid Yes.

I don't see that being other than the lunatic fringe, not the mainstream of the Independence movement.

The debate about independence could do with being toned down, but you're not the one doing it.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I agree with that.

She campaigned on that platform and she is bound to it if she gets approval from Westminster.

Having said that though, there's no suggestion at all that she would do otherwise.

Covid needs sorting first though.

Realistically we'll be looking at next year but we'll need to see. She won't go whilst there are ongoing covid restrictions of any kind IMO.

Yes, I think we need to lance this boil.

Sooner rather than later.

Happy to get back out there for the Union.

Once things have been decided, hopefully we can get back to real politics.