When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

David Torrance seems obsessed with banging the drum about Sturgeon being desperate for a second independence referendum. It comes across as banging the drum of the Unionist parties as though her talk of "highly likely" referendums meant it was her first resort or that she's not serious about attempting alternatives that might not give rise to a pre-Brexit referendum. That rhetoric always seemed to me to be more a statement of party management and of attempted foresight of what may eventually unfold rather than a clear commitment.

Her emphasis on single market participation seems to me to prove precisely the opposite of all this drum banging. The last thing she wants is a referendum before both the terms of a Brexit deal are finalised and the potential status of Scotland is clarified, because she knows she'll lose any referendum held on those terms and that it would do substantial damage to her, her government (and its legislative agenda), and the independence cause.

All of this points to a referendum being held no earlier than 2020 and probably not until the next Holyrood elections. This is before we consider that the invocation of Article 50 may drift even later, and that the Brexit window may be extended or even transitional provisions put in place of it when it expires during which time Scotland's position might be clarified. It seems inconceivable that those aspects can't have been in her mind when she indicated a preference for a referendum before the formal date of secession of the UK from the EU.

But still, Torrance has his contacts and off the record statements by politicians so Sturgeon must be flip flopping...

18 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

David Torrance seems obsessed with banging the drum about Sturgeon being desperate for a second independence referendum. It comes across as banging the drum of the Unionist parties as though her talk of "highly likely" referendums meant it was her first resort or that she's not serious about attempting alternatives that might not give rise to a pre-Brexit referendum. That rhetoric always seemed to me to be more a statement of party management and of attempted foresight of what may eventually unfold rather than a clear commitment.

Her emphasis on single market participation seems to me to prove precisely the opposite of all this drum banging. The last thing she wants is a referendum before both the terms of a Brexit deal are finalised and the potential status of Scotland is clarified, because she knows she'll lose any referendum held on those terms and that it would do substantial damage to her, her government (and its legislative agenda), and the independence cause.

All of this points to a referendum being held no earlier than 2020 and probably not until the next Holyrood elections. This is before we consider that the invocation of Article 50 may drift even later, and that the Brexit window may be extended or even transitional provisions put in place of it when it expires during which time Scotland's position might be clarified. It seems inconceivable that those aspects can't have been in her mind when she indicated a preference for a referendum before the formal date of secession of the UK from the EU.

But still, Torrance has his contacts and off the record statements by politicians so Sturgeon must be flip flopping...

If there is a strict 2 year negotiation period to leave the EU then that would take us up to 2019 as May will almost certainly invoke article 50 early next year.

I would say it's very likely we would have indyref2 in the Autumn of 2018 or Spring 2019.

23 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

If there is a strict 2 year negotiation period to leave the EU then that would take us up to 2019 as May will almost certainly invoke article 50 early next year.

I would say it's very likely we would have indyref2 in the Autumn of 2018 or Spring 2019.

I'd probably agree but I'm not convinced that the polls will say it's a good idea until after Brexit has been completed and any negative effects are there for all to see.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'd probably agree but I'm not convinced that the polls will say it's a good idea until after Brexit has been completed and any negative effects are there for all to see.

I would say Brexit negotiations would be completed early 2019. By Autumn 2018 Spring 2019 we will know most if not all details.

The EU wants the UK out as soon as possible. Can't see them extending the 2 year period 

Just now, Colkitto said:

I would say Brexit negotiations would be completed early 2019. By Autumn 2018 Spring 2019 we will know most if not all details.

The EU wants the UK out as soon as possible. Can't see them extending the 2 year period 

I'm not suggesting that the 2 year period will be extended but I'm not convinced that the general public will fully appreciate what Brexit means until they start to live it.

20 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'm not suggesting that the 2 year period will be extended but I'm not convinced that the general public will fully appreciate what Brexit means until they start to live it.

Yes, you have a point. 

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

This is why it's funny to have people like thepundit shooting down any talk of a referendum win in the future based on the polls right now. Nothing has actually changed. We voted for Brexit but we haven't even begun to consider what it means.

On 9/20/2016 at 07:25, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Some lefty you are when access to a free market economy seems to be the most important driver in any political decision that should be made. Perhaps we should just let corporations make our political decisions instead of elected MPs..

When the free market economy within the EU is tied to free movement of labour then it's obvious that a lefty will support that ahead of jabbering about closing the borders.

17 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Indy is dead for a decade and maybe for longer. Hints about it will be required to keep the masses on board in expectation of the great day.Any day now, any day now....

Hope springs eternal that regionalism will once more reign supreme, as Scotland embraces being a minor part of the UK and forgets all that nonsense about statehood and actually mattering.

Hope springs eternal that regionalism will once more reign supreme, as Scotland embraces being a minor part of the UK and forgets all that nonsense about statehood and actually mattering.

Does Nippy pull a string on your chest and you shout out catchphrases ?

The more hatred there is for a party leader, the better the job they're doing. For example, Kezia Dugdale doesn't inspire hatred, mostly amusement and maybe a bit of a sympathy.

The attitude towards Willie Rennie is a bit like the attitude towards a toddler who runs into a room with his trousers round his ankles, shite all over himself and a stupid grin on his face.