William Hill Scottish Cup 2015-16 - Big Thread

... because they're part of huge clubs running numerous teams for boys girls and adults across different age levels. This generates funding from within the club and external support and sponsorship from outside... Both BSCG and Cumbernauld only obtained their SFA memberships and licenses in the summer - they're unlikely to have received a penny yet as SFA solidarity payments come at the season's end and before Christmas.

Shouldn't that be spent on the kids club and not a pipe dream?

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who said anything about them spending kids money on their Senior team :huh:? You only have to go to Broadwood or visit either clubs websites or their twitter feeds to see the sort of sponsors they've got. That will in part me down to companies buying into the broader ethos of the club, in the same way other companies will choose to support their Amateur team or their U12 girls or whatever.

Both clubs are playing in tier 5 of the Senior game, they have crowned their youth development structures with U20s and Adult teams, they are playing in the Scottish Cup and Youth Cup (the Colts have reached R3 of both this season). That is not "a pipe dream" it is the furthering of their clubs aims.

Btw: pccabe is probably dismissing Formartine's win yesterday as they were Juniors who left for HL a few years ago, and it's been the making of them, not just yesterday but reaching the SPFL Challenge Cup QFs in 2013-14 and achieving multiple top 2/3/4 HL finishes. I imagine he regards that as a sort of heresy.

They're currently in it.

What level or league do you think they should be playing in?

They are non league with possible entry to the dizzy heights of SPFL2.

I couldn't care less what league they should be in.

Which ever gets the bigger grants I suppose.

Who said anything about them spending kids money on their Senior team :huh:? You only have to go to Broadwood or visit either clubs websites or their twitter feeds to see the sort of sponsors they've got. That will in part me down to companies buying into the broader ethos of the club, in the same way other companies will choose to support their Amateur team or their U12 girls or whatever.

Both clubs are playing in tier 5 of the Senior game, they have crowned their youth development structures with U20s and Adult teams, they are playing in the Scottish Cup and Youth Cup (the Colts have reached R3 of both this season). That is not "a pipe dream" it is the furthering of their clubs aims.

Btw: pccabe is probably dismissing Formartine's win yesterday as they were Juniors who left for HL a few years ago, and it's been the making of them, not just yesterday but reaching the SPFL Challenge Cup QFs in 2013-14 and achieving multiple top 2/3/4 HL finishes. I imagine he regards that as a sort of heresy.

They do have a bigger begging bowl now so good luck to them.

Finally, pccabe - yesterday's Colts-Talbot result was clearly not a "freak" or "fluke".

Auchinleck - winners of the last 3 West Junior Superleague titles and 3 of the last 5 Junior Cups - have played 4 games against LL opposition in the last 12 months. They have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2. No goals were mustered against Cumbernauld, one against Edinburgh City and the win came in a replay. For the other 2 Junior Cup winners of recent years, Hurlford took a replay to get past Edinburgh University last season (they'd only just joined LL incidentally), and Shotts were eliminated by Edinburgh City in the 2012-13 competition.

Among the East Juniors we find that Kelty Hearts were thumped last month by Lothian Thistle, champion of level below LL but ineligible for promotion. Prior to that Bonnyrigg faced Stirling Uni a couple of seasons ago in an ERSJFA-EOSL champions tie and won 1-0 (after Stirling played the second half with 10 men, IIRC?).

Ironically enough only Linlithgow Rose - the sole southerly Junior to obtain an SFA licence - have a Scottish Cup record which could be considered enviable.

Yesterday's results reinforced two facts. First, the Juniors are not superior in quality to LL. Secondly, neither has achieved parity in quality with HL.

Finally, pccabe - yesterday's Colts-Talbot result was clearly not a "freak" or "fluke".

Auchinleck - winners of the last 3 West Junior Superleague titles and 3 of the last 5 Junior Cups - have played 4 games against LL opposition over the last 12 months. They have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2. No goals were mustered against Cumbernauld, one against Edinburgh City and the win came in a replay. For the other 2 Junior Cup winners of recent years, Hurlford took a replay to get past Edinburgh University last season (they'd only just joined LL incidentally), and Shotts were eliminated by Edinburgh City in the 2012-13 competition.

Among the East Juniors we find that Kelty Hearts were thumped last month by Lothian Thistle, champion of level below LL but ineligible for promotion. Prior to that Bonnyrigg faced Stirling Uni a couple of seasons ago in an ERSJFA-EOSL champions tie and won 1-0 (after Stirling played the second half with 10 men, IIRC?).

Ironically enough only Linlithgow Rose - the sole southerly Junior to obtain an SFA licence - have a record which could really be considered enviable.

Yesterday's results reinforced two facts. First, the Juniors are not superior in quality to LL. Secondly, neither has achieved parity in quality with HL.

You're completely wasting your time. He's incapable of coherent recognition or analysis of facts. He's all over the place with his arguments as long as every post belittles any teams who are not salt of the earth juniors - preferably with a whippet, flat cap and some sort of empty pot to piss in built into his jumpers for goalposts, romanticised view of a world which doesn't exist - but when it did it was desperate in its own right.

He's a fuckin idiot.

FWIW I pretty much agree with your post. Unfortunately the reality is that currently there are maybe a dozen (if you're lucky) Junior clubs with the fan-base, resources and people behind the scenes capable of giving the club the means to make the transition.

Of the dozen or so clubs, half of them are well supported at home but very few take a big support to away games. Some clubs get by OK as it is, but the travel and running costs might be more than they can afford should they have to leave the Juniors.

I've spoken to many Juniors fans who are completely against joining the LL or such and to be fair, can understand their point of view. At present Junior is a level that exists where the clubs can be competitive, in with a chance of winning things. That's the ambition, fair enough. Making the step over to the LL may be viewed as a lack of ambition by some as it may mean their club end up in the bottom tier of Scottish football permanently with no real prospects of winning anything, coupled with higher running costs and dwindling fan numbers.

There are just too many ifs and buts out there at the moment so I can understand why many clubs want to remain Juniors.

Personally, I'm still sat on the fence.

Fair enough, probably the best post of yours Ive read.

Auchinleck - winners of the last 3 West Junior Superleague titles and 3 of the last 5 Junior Cups - have played 4 games against LL opposition in the last 12 months. They have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2. No goals were mustered against Cumbernauld, one against Edinburgh City and the win came in a replay. For the other 2 Junior Cup winners of recent years, Hurlford took a replay to get past Edinburgh University last season (they'd only just joined LL incidentally), and Shotts were eliminated by Edinburgh City in the 2012-13 competition.

Ironically enough only Linlithgow Rose - the sole southerly Junior to obtain an SFA licence - have a Scottish Cup record which could be considered enviable.

Aye, but "history", "tradition", "school teams" and all that. :-)

In all seriousness though, a good summary of the cold, hard facts of it there HJ, not that it will make any difference to cabe.

Fair point.

I was actually at Selkirk-Bo'ness last season - bottom of LL v East Junior champions - and they were deserved 4-0 winners, albeit 2 late goals.

Aye, but "history", "tradition", "school teams" and all that. :-)

In all seriousness though, a good summary of the cold, hard facts of it there HJ, not that it will make any difference to cabe.

Cumbernauld Colts are almost 50 years old anyway... It is particularly ironic as Pccabe can often be found taking exception to what he perceives as Senior supporters "belittling his grade": yet it appears he doesn't recognise time spent in the Juvenile, Youth or Amateur grades as counting in a club's history.

There are several clubs in this season's tournament of similar vintage to Colts: for example Lothian Thistle/Hutchison Vale (works then amateur/juvenile and youth football) and Hermes Juniors (welfare?) were both formed within a year of Colts in the late 1960s.

From what I can see Strathspey Thistle were only formed in 1993 and of course Inverness CT are 1994 although a merger of 2 far older clubs.

There are also plenty Juniors dating from post-WWII, or who've recently joined the grade. I don't see Pccabe attacking Gartcairn or Rossvale.

He should probably fall back on criticising teams for being 'middle class' or whatever exactly it was; at least that's not factually disprovable.

Although, I agree with your post I would also argue that Bo'ness United have done well in their Scottish Cup adventures.

They have defeated two senior sides as well as LL opponents, however were beaten by HL opposition.

What is indisputable though is how stupid it is that the Juniors are not part of the pyramid. Hopefully soon.

Thought it was just Elgin they beat?

Certainly one of things I have been told on here being the advantage of being senior.

So how are the 50 fans BSC surviving without them then?

Please tell me how that prize money is a handout?

And tell me how embarrassed you were by your club taking it after the Airdrie game champ.

Archived