William Hill Scottish Cup 2015-16 - Big Thread

I don't think we need to take any advice from the closed shop, one division Highland League on teeny wee ponds. Dragged kicking and screaming towards the pyramid by threat of sanction and your top club adamant they wanted to stay where they were right up to the play off. Come back to me when your pyramid is working at both ends of your league.

At least it's working at one end of ours!!! Yep Brora didn't fancy it but Cove and Formartine/Turriff certainly do.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is that HTG and fair play to them,I have advocated enlarging the SHFL into two leagues of 14/16 team's because their is too much of a gulf in quality between the likes of Cove/Brora/Formartine and Rothes/Strathspey/Fort.I feel that is the first step in the north then hopefully at some point in the future,lower down can be sorted out too with the north juniors and NCL.By the way HTG my swipe earlier was at LRFC not junior fitba,I was at Central park last week with my son to see Whitburn beat Lochgelly and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just feel the likes of Rose and Talbot are now too big for junior fitba,I feel they would both do well and get quite far up into the SPFL.

To be fair I've advocated Linlithgow going into the pyramid since the opportunity first presented itself. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to achieve the best they can achieve. That's not to say we get it our own way in the juniors - competing remains fierce and one local cup in the last 2 seasons is a reflection of that.

Fair play to you HTG,that is refreshing to hear,like you I feel if your good enough you'll find your true level in football,I'am a fan of a pyramid system though feel we've a bit to go north and south before it's all sorted out.I keep an eye on what's going on in the local junior leagues,particularly how whitburn are doing,may pop along a bit more now if I'm not up north,especially now theyre back at Central park.Enjoy your trip up to Harmsworth park,when I took in a game up in Wick,we stayed in the Norseman hotel,it's right in the middle of town,the Alexander Bain pub(wetherspoons) in the precinct is a cracking pub but it's a fair walk from there to the ground.

There's been months of discussions oer on the "fitba north" forum after Keith's chairman proposed two leagues of ten a wee while back.There is not much appetite for two ten team leagues from the fans, most believe if it's to be two leagues then it must be with more teams brought in from the north juniors and NCL to something like two 14/16 leagues.Most SHFL fans want only to play each team in the league home and away once.Who you bring in is a bit of a stickler for in inviting another 10 or 14 teams you would have to also sort out and reorganize the juniors and NCL below the 2nd tier of the SHFL,maybe this is what has been the stumbling block up north.Banks o Dee,Culter,Halkirk have all been cited as being interested in moving up.Hopefully through time all this gets sorted out north and south.

Well you could have those two leagues with relegation into the remaining north juniors. Would be a good safety net for teams that made the leap and weren't ready and it would start the ball rolling on getting juniors into the pyramid. I would like to see the juniors join north/south as well but it's all baby steps

HTG if linlithgow were to apply and join main pyramid where would they slot in

Highland league stays at 18 clubs

North Region will be directly below

Easy

What about the NCL? Also what about the Tayside juniors who are now in the HFL catchment area. It sounds simple, but it's a lot more complicated than you think.

What junior clubs are in the Tayside area

All clubs north of the Tay come under the Highland League catchment now. So if many of the old Tayside Region clubs would be for promotion to the HFL were they to gain the SFA licence.

Anyway, this discussion is for a reconstruction thread (we've got enough of those) - not the Scottish Cup thread.

HTG if linlithgow were to apply and join main pyramid where would they slot in

Unclear. As things stand there is one place left in the Lowland League. Theoretically they could take that. But they won't go. Not at the cost of losing their junior cup access, rivalries e with Bo'ness and others. There needs to be an overarching solution. That won't happen because many of us are becoming convinced that the current set up suits the sfa down to the ground. There is a thread on this in the HFL forum and another about juniors in the LL.

My contention is that the geographical split is completely absurd. The Highlands would struggle to achieve any real depth of pyramid whilst the Lowlands would go quite a long way down with good quality teams. Take this exchange - we're talking about the North Juniors making up the second tier of the HFL pyramid. That standard is miles below both East and West Juniors. If we went "all in" you'd quickly find tier 9 in the south would be stronger than tier 6 in the north.

Demographics tell us we need at least 3 regions at the top of non-nationwide football. If that had been set out at the start who knows what would have happened. But the SPFL wouldn't wear it and it certainly wouldn't have suited the likes of Spartans I suspect.

There is so much needing fixed that we just won't get there now. Everyone is looking after their own interests - that's how football in this country works. The SFA's a shambles. The SJFA are frightened of their own shadow. The LL teams are happy to have a clear playing field. The HFL don't want to change or open up. The SPFL won't countenance anyone actually paying for their failure through direct relegation - they've to get a second chance whilst league winners have to play off so one can lose out. Better to reward failure than laud success because those making the decisions know that one day it could be them ...

The SPFL's attitude will inevitably change once at least one national club is relegated and stays down for a while. 10th to go automatically down with the regional play-off winner being promoted, the loser playing 9th in SPFL2 is a straightforward change.

The SPFL's attitude will inevitably change once at least one national club is relegated and stays down for a while. 10th to automatically down with the regional play-off winner being promoted, the loser playing 9th in SPFL2 is a straightforward change.

Agreed but we still need 3 rather than 2 regional leagues.

I was up in Montrose last Tuesday night to witness LTHV's fantastic extra time win over Montrose. Thoroughly deserved.

Here's my latest blog if anyone's interested - https://scottishcupadventure.wordpress.com

I read both the LTHV-Montrose blogs good reading. This may be obvious but I take it you started at Harestanes and are following every winning team in the ties after that.

Archived