The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Of course it's a pain in the arse for those fans, indeed any supporters, having to make long midweek trips but what is the alternative? Inverness only play Ross County and, erm, Aberdeen in midweek games?

You'd think after watching Leicester shop in the bargain bin at Aldi and walk the premier league, that they wold stop going on about the cash floating around down there as if it guarantees success.

All it really does is prove English football fans are way out of touch with reality and keeps the England football team down.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Fucking hell, what raging loser wrote that?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I usually like English but what rubbish.

£1bn of money changing hands on football players in one summer is grotesque and nothing to aspire to.

I'm pretty sure it was not Tom English, but Brian McLauchlin this morning.

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

You'd think after watching Leicester shop in the bargain bin at Aldi and walk the premier league, that they wold stop going on about the cash floating around down there as if it guarantees success.

All it really does is prove English football fans are way out of touch with reality and keeps the England football team down.

Thanks to Mr Murdoch's latest input Aldi are now charging £30 million for a tin of their own brand beans though.

Just now, The Saintee said:

Brian McLaughlin.

Seriously..........who gives a f*ck about England.

You could genuinely get better journalism if you picked 10 random members on here than from guys like him.

8 hours ago, The Saintee said:

"The modest level of spending in Scotland is in stark contrast to the £1bn plus that has been coughed up in England as Premier League clubs splash the cash from their new broadcast deals. Unless there is a drastic change the Scottish leagues will always be the poor relations."

It's like the man has no idea what £1 billion means.

Even with drastic change and assuming that somehow means "loadsa money", we would quite clearly still be the poor relations to £1bn.

7 hours ago, RiG said:

Of course it's a pain in the arse for those fans, indeed any supporters, having to make long midweek trips but what is the alternative? Inverness only play Ross County and, erm, Aberdeen in midweek games?

Unfortunately I can't remember who it was, but there was someone - I think it was a manager but might have been jobless or retired - on one of Sportsound shows a few months back who genuinely said that he thought ICT and County should be made to play each other every midweek round to void other clubs going up. Presumably they'd be exempt from TV too.

I really like Tom English but that remark about the OF playing midweek away games in the North is despicable.

As for McLaughlin's nonsense, using the obscene orgy of spending in the English game as evidence of failings in Scotland is just utterly ludicrous.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I really like Tom English but that remark about the OF playing midweek away games in the North is despicable.

As for McLaughlin's nonsense, using the obscene orgy of spending in the English game as evidence of failings in Scotland is just utterly ludicrous.

Spot on on both counts. I've never heard English mention it being a problem for any other Scottish clubs to travel up there before, so why should it be any different for any of those two. I'm not on twitter but I hope he's being called out on this. 

In fact, come to think of it, he's got a point. How dare ICT and County have their stadiums situated in their towns. They should be forced to move to the central belt.

English went on to defend his comments by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "I always take issue with this kind of midweek away game".

So if someone wants to go ahead and find his complaints over Ross County's 'midweek' away games in Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen, that'd be great. Thanks.

And if you have any spare time, go ahead and see what he said when ICT had to go to Perth, Edinburgh, Hamilton, Dundee, Aberdeen, and Motherwell for evening kick-offs.

Next season's fixture list will be interesting given "the fans" don't want midweek trips to the Highlands and journalists have always maintained that no club should be travelling up the treacherous A9 during the winter.

4 hours ago, yoda said:

English went on to defend his comments by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "I always take issue with this kind of midweek away game".

So if someone wants to go ahead and find his complaints over Ross County's 'midweek' away games in Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen, that'd be great. Thanks.

And if you have any spare time, go ahead and see what he said when ICT had to go to Perth, Edinburgh, Hamilton, Dundee, Aberdeen, and Motherwell for evening kick-offs.

Next season's fixture list will be interesting given "the fans" don't want midweek trips to the Highlands and journalists have always maintained that no club should be travelling up the treacherous A9 during the winter.

3 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I pointed out that Inverness have the same journey to makeep a fortnight later against Motherwell but no reply ^_^

Funnily enough, he never responded to Aberdeen going to Hamilton twice in midweeks this season and Hamilton coming to Pittodrie midweek in December.

Some people on my Twitter timeline then went on to say that Aberdeen should only play Inverness and Ross County in Friday night games, despite the fact it is quicker to get to Dundee and Perth than up to the Highlands.

As for the greeting about TV, get over it. Over recent seasons, on a Friday night we've been at Hamilton, Tynecastle and McDiarmid Park while Motherwell and Dundee have visited Aberdeen. We've also been in Inverness on a Monday night. But because it is one of the Ugly Sisters this time, it is unacceptable. Nonsense.

The irony of English's inane rant, that StandFree pointed out, is that only Celtic and Rangers could actually fill the entire away support with fans from the town they're actually playing in.