The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Posted (edited)

I suppose this is relevant here, given who gives these awards.

Philippe Clement is on the shortlist for the Scottish Football Writers’ Manager of the Year. 

Edited by The Master

On 05/05/2024 at 10:01, Muzza81 said:

The very same. You ask random punters in the boozer what the “premiership” scores were and what do you think they will reel off? It certainly won’t be Motherwell v Dundee.

A hypothetical situation that has been 99% eradicated with the invention of smart phones.

The English top flight hasnt been called the Premiership since 2007. There is therefore an entire generation of people that have grown up only knowing "Premiership" as the Scottish Premiership. 

As others have said, there is no excuse for people who should know better still calling our top flight the SPL or SPFL.

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

I suppose this is relevant here, given whose gives these awards.

Philippe Clement is on the shortlist for the Scottish Football Writers’ Manager of the Year. 

Him winning it only for Rangers to lose the title and cup final would be very Scottish football.

from our national broadcaster

LINE-UPS from Firhillpublished at 19:03

19:03

Partick Thistle v Airdrieonians (agg 2-2) (19:45)

Partick Thistle: Hemfrey, Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne, Megwa, McMaster, Telfer, Hancock, Lyall, Todorov, McGill.

Substitutes: Hutton, Taylor-Sinclair, O'Connor, McGregor, Gallagher, Aiken, Dunlop, Donnell, Gallagher.

Airdrieonians: Mitchell, McMillan, McBeth, Murihead, Milne, Neilson, McInroy, Stanway, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Graham.

Substitutes: Stewart, Campbell, Diack, Alston, Loney, O'Reilly, Ngwenya. Mackenzie, Bannigan.

On 10/05/2024 at 19:08, Cptn Hooch said:

Partick Thistle: Hemfrey, Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne, Megwa, McMaster, Telfer, Hancock, Lyall, Todorov, McGill.

Substitutes: Hutton, Taylor-Sinclair, O'Connor, McGregor, Gallagher, Aiken, Dunlop, Donnell, Gallagher.

Airdrieonians: Mitchell, McMillan, McBeth, Murihead, Milne, Neilson, McInroy, Stanway, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Graham.

Substitutes: Stewart, Campbell, Diack, Alston, Loney, O'Reilly, Ngwenya. Mackenzie, Bannigan.

I must be missing something obvious. What's wrong here?

4 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

They have the teams the wrong way around; the Partick Thistle line-up is the Airdrie players and vice versa

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

They have the teams the wrong way around; the Partick Thistle line-up is the Airdrie players and vice versa

2 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

Makes it worse that the previous update they were talking about individual players

On 10/05/2024 at 19:08, Cptn Hooch said:

I dont overly mind that kind of stuff.

Clearly just someone made a mistake. Which is always going to happen in trying to get live feeds updated quickly.

On 05/05/2024 at 13:58, Molotov said:

It’s still the situation today - I’m clicking on the link to the table based on the in game event at Ibrox. 

What a joke….

IMG_9702.thumb.jpeg.d1a62db3eec5dc3002fdb97c4c7079b9.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/czkvp020917t#Tables

I take it you've realised by now you just scroll down further to see the "live" table?

I hate how websites have decided to treat our league this way. Transfermarkt is great for stats, but even they stop the league season at 33 games then start a new one after the split, so even form tables aren't right because of that.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I take it you've realised by now you just scroll down further to see the "live" table?

I hate how websites have decided to treat our league this way. Transfermarkt is great for stats, but even they stop the league season at 33 games then start a new one after the split, so even form tables aren't right because of that.

Fotmob, which is a brilliant app, has done that as well and it’s infuriating me more than it should. 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I suppose the argument would be that it’s easier for the casual observer to understand. 

Someone with no knowledge of Scottish football may take a look at the table and see Dundee with less points than 3 teams below them and get confused. 

Still garbage, mind you. 

Posted (edited)

The table is correct elsewhere on the BBC website but when you click through from the Hibs - Aberdeen match report, you get this nonsense. It's not even just not been updated on the day of the match - it's three matches out of date.

image.thumb.png.0b0acde68fd50d222eb63e9f05599d74.png

Edited by VictorOnopko

22 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

The table is correct elsewhere on the BBC website but when you click through from the Hibs - Aberdeen match report, you get this nonsense. It's not even just not been updated on the day of the match - it's three matches out of date.

It depends on how you access the tables but when I looked this morning there were 2 options - 1st phase (up to the split - the one you've posted above) and 2nd phase (current).  At one time they were the wrong way around IIRC but seems they've fixed that issue. 

32 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Did you scroll down?

On 09/05/2024 at 20:32, Jacky1990 said:

A hypothetical situation that has been 99% eradicated with the invention of smart phones.

The English top flight hasnt been called the Premiership since 2007. There is therefore an entire generation of people that have grown up only knowing "Premiership" as the Scottish Premiership. 

As others have said, there is no excuse for people who should know better still calling our top flight the SPL or SPFL.

whatever your take is on this, I think we can all agree that the decision by our administrative masters to ape the English league set up and names (Premiership/Premier not withstanding) in rebranding the SPFL in 2013 was a complete nonsensical and tinpot decision. Talking about aiming low in constantly considering the behemoth that is our neighbour's league when looking to market and promote our own league - it is truly cringe. Perhaps Doncaster's first full decision (in canvassing consensus) in the job and it has been downhill for him since. 

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did you scroll down?

I just went back and did that and the two split tables are correct (as well as easily missed). 

That doesn't explain why the main table when you click on the "Table" tab against the match result/line ups/stats etc is totally out of date though?!