The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

As much as they are likely the main source of concern, a blanket ban on the old firm is almost as discriminatory as the current legislation and would be political suicide anyway. It just wouldn’t work. 

That principle is the exact same one that allows people to say it’s fine for rugby and not football, even though we know 99% of Scottish football matches pass off with almost no trouble. 

I tend to agree with this. 

As ridiculous as dredging up images of the 1980 cup final are to illustrate why drink shouldn’t be allowed at say a Motherwell V Dundee game, it is probably just as ridiculous to use it as an excuse not to allow it at the rangers or Celtic at home to say Ross county or St Johnstone at 12.30 on a Sunday. 

Perhaps a sensible compromise is to not allow it in away ends which tend to be more boisterous and people have been on the sauce all day already as well as certain category “high risk “ games. 

1 hour ago, Merkie84 said:

Perhaps a sensible compromise is to not allow it in away ends which tend to be more boisterous and people have been on the sauce all day already as well as certain category “high risk “ games. 

When we're getting to this kind of compromise it seems more bother than it's worth.  

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

When we're getting to this kind of compromise it seems more bother than it's worth.  

All that will happen there is the polis will just categorise every game as high risk and nothing will change.

1 hour ago, Merkie84 said:

I tend to agree with this. 

As ridiculous as dredging up images of the 1980 cup final are to illustrate why drink shouldn’t be allowed at say a Motherwell V Dundee game, it is probably just as ridiculous to use it as an excuse not to allow it at the rangers or Celtic at home to say Ross county or St Johnstone at 12.30 on a Sunday. 

Playing Devil's advocate.

Ban alcohol in the home end. Home supporters have had all day to drink in pubs and in the house. Away supporters will have had to travel on transport where alcohol is already banned.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

All that will happen there is the polis will just categorise every game as high risk and nothing will change.

Every game involving either of the OF; all the local derbies;  any game where something is at stake; evening and 3pm KO's etc etc will be classed as high-risk.  

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

As much as they are likely the main source of concern, a blanket ban on the old firm is almost as discriminatory as the current legislation and would be political suicide anyway. It just wouldn’t work.

Well make it more surreptitious than that, allow individual clubs to decide which games they will sell alcohol during the match.

If they decide that selling alcohol to fans of certain opponents might be more trouble than its worth then just make alcohol unavailable for that game.

I've noticed a load of folk having a cheeky swally in the grounds over the last few years. I was up at the SCO 3-2 ISR game and there was loads of folk swigging wee half deckers of the monks tonic. I doubt I'd want to rush to form a queue to pay £7 for a pint of piss water at half time but if that's what folk want well go for it.

Another thing worth noting. 

Most of the """trouble""" I've seen at games in recent years has been caused by kids. Under the age of 18 certainly. 

Is alcohol to blame for that? Is that going to get worse because there's a bar on a concourse for an hour before kick off. 

Hmm.... 🤔

I've been to a few games in England, and my experience is that once the novelty of being able to buy a pint in the stadium wears off, you realise that being charged £7 or £8 quid for a pint of flat Carling really isn't enhancing your matchday experience.

A couple of hours off it whilst you are at the game isn't the end of the world.

Having said that, I still think that if folk want to do it, the option should be there.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've been to a few games in England, and my experience is that once the novelty of being able to buy a pint in the stadium wears off, you realise that being charged £7 or £8 quid for a pint of flat Carling really isn't enhancing your matchday experience.

A couple of hours off it whilst you are at the game isn't the end of the world.

Having said that, I still think that if folk want to do it, the option should be there.

The last time I was at a game years ago, I queued for the length of half time for a pint and then suddenly you realise you have a full beer while the game is restarting and you can’t get back to your seat. It isn’t a great deal of fun. 

But it isn’t really the point, legislating against it completely isn’t fair or necessary.