Morton v Dumbarton - 25/7/15

IainMorton

Just wanted to pop in to laugh at Morton. Thanks for the consistent LOLZ over the past few seasons guys - keep it up!

No idea who you are, sorry. Other than that slight flaw, a stinging contribution IMO.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a cracking performance. Such a massive improvement on last season, it was fast paced, aggressive attacking and great to watch.

Both Gall's goals were well taken, thought he was superb in the pre-season matches and today once again he was excellent. Looks like the complete midfielder, shocked a bigger club than ourselves didn't take a punt on him.

Taggart, I thought, was excellent throughout. Looks even fitter than last year and has some amount of pace on him.

The disallowed goal towards the end of the first was a joke. Gall pressured Kilday (?) and Gaston slid out and straight into him. The ball pinged out to Cawley who finished very calmly. Horrific decision from one of the countries most bumbling referees. Unfortunately things didn't improve from his point of view.

The start of the second half was a fairly quiet affair. We were composed and calm whilst Morton rarely looked like scoring.

Then a lack of communication between the sub CB and Gaston allowed Garry in. Gaston's a big figure, and he had very little time but the finish was top class. Dinking it over him and dropping it into the net.

When Gall - who was our best player imo - left the pitch Morton started to come into it more. Brown, who I thought looked solid, made a smart stop from Scullion/Barr when he looked destined to score. Whilst Forbes gave McClusky an ear-bashing for cannoning a shot off Barr and Buchanan from close range.

Jamie Lindsay tussled with a 'Ton player infront of the main stand. It looked as if, through my completely impartial eyes ;) - Lindsay was fouled. But oor Craig awarded Morton the free-kick. The initial delivery was nothing great, but poor defending allowed the ball to be played back into the box from the opposite wing. Kilday produced a nice overhead flicked finish.

We continued to look fairly comfortable in possession, but Morton were throwing everything forward. The penalty decision looked unbelievable on first viewing. Barr and the 'Ton player bumped into each other and play continued. As the players reached the by-line Charleston blew his whistle and pointed to the spot. It looked soft in the extreme, and if you give one then there's going to be a hell of a lot of penalties in every game.

Mrs Willie Gibson, wasnae best pleased either :wub:

Still, we held on. Do referee's get paid overtime for extra time or something? :lol:

I thought Gall was the best player on the pitch, but Routledge was quietly excellent. Everything he did was important and he did it well. Willie's work ethic is outstanding, and Kevin Cawley looked dangerous and kept working hard for the entirety of the game.

Jim Duffy's suit though. My word. Looked like it was made out of the sofas you see in old folks homes :barf

Such an essay for a routine Petrofac Cup First Round win. Minter.

We were awful. Dumbarton more than deserved their win and the scoreline flattered us. They were everything that I'd like us to be - organised, hard-working, quick on the break, experienced all over the pitch. I could go on and on. The big number 9 Fleming? Had a great game and was all over the pitch to win knock ons and create space for others to run into. We need to see a uge improvement or we will really struggle this season.

Quite pleased with that. Good to see the level of dig and effort from the Sons. Gallagher was top class, Lindsay looks a good yin and good effort all round. Wullie Gibson, Garry Fleming, Scott Taggart all good as was Cawley. In fact the whole team looked well up for it. Kept our composure when it went to 3-2.

Charleston is a fuckwit but I'd have been looking for a penalty if that had been against us. He played advantage and when nothing came of it pointed to the spot.

Shambolic stewarding and organisation. We were told at the 'home' end at 14:55 that we'd have to walk round the ground instead of getting in there and walking along the concourse. Having done that, and being of a certain age, I had to walk along the concourse to the home end (aye almost to the point where I had been refused entry - despite other Sons fans wearing colours being admitted) to get a working toilet!

At the end of the game, stewards wouldn't let us go to the toilet in the concourse. We had to nip under the tape at the condemned ones (the only ones in the away end) only for a steward to go mental at us.

I suppose the lack of toilet facilities were compensated for somewhat by Dumbarton pissing all over Morton.

Aye the stewards are clowns on a power trip.

no idea at all why Cawley's goal wasn't given.....Gaston made a hash of it...definitely no foul

I also thought it was a penalty for Morton....no idea at all why Charleston waited an eternity to give it....don't usually see refs trying to play advantage after a foul in the box.

Charleston really is a horrific ref.....a simple throw in in front of us in the 2nd half....inexplicably given to Morton

We looked pretty comfortable in the 1st half, but Morton came back out a bit better in the 2nd. We stopped winning 2nd balls after Gallacher went off

Overall pretty pleased given our poor record at Cappielow and in this competition

Looking forward to seeing what Craig can offer up front...despite his efforts, I don't think Smith is the answer

Is Kirkpatrick injured?

Don't understand what's funny about that. He had his arms round him, he got away and the ref had given advantage and then the Dumbarton boy does it again. Not really hard to understand.

Lets be honest, Scosha, if you're giving a penalty for that you're awarding 5 a game. Unless it's netball of course.

Not that it made much of a difference overall but once again Charleston shows why hes the absolute nubbin of Scottish refereeing. Add to that the bizarre disallowed goal. Wit a 'minter' for Der Slapheid Führer.

You play in a glorified bus shelter champ.

Aye, to be fair we do. As much as I enjoy our stadium.

We're not really in a position to slate Cappielow but the stewarding today was absolutely hilarious. 'You can bounce through to the home end for a pish, since we don't have running water, but don't you dare try and buy chips from the pie stall'

Archived