World Famous Dundee United v Aberdeen, 2 Aug 2015

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing result in the end but not really surprising considering Aberdeen are clearly a better team than ourselves and probably every other team in the league outwith Celtic obviously. Positives were the defence which were really impressive, particularly McGowan and the two centre backs, Dixon not so much but still did a decent job. Only a flukey goal away from a clean sheet in the end. Bodul is clearly very good with the ball but didn't get involved at all. Erskine played well, Spittal too first half, Rankin alright.

The obvious negative being we didn't look like scoring at all and I'm struggling to see where the goals will come from. Keeper not convincing, Bilate awful yet we still looked far more of a threat attacking wise with him up there bizarrely, there was also a serious lack of urgency second half.

Overall not as shit as I'd feared but still not great.

Thought there were some positive signs front the two new centre halves and McGowan was decent. We really did look pretty toothless up front though which is worrying.

Also if that's going to be Souttar's attitude for the rest of the season he would be just better going now.

Very happy with the 3 points give the circumstances.

Nice to see McLean starting to hit the net.

Good couple of saves from Ward.

So many opportunities to deliver from out wide resulted in so few chances created.

Some very poor crossing/dead ball efforts from Flood (who otherwise had a good game) & the aforementioned McLean though.

Having said that, i thought United's debutant CH pairing had a solid game. Very promising looking.

Lot of plaudits on here for Cammy Smith I notice.

There's no doubt his movement and turn of pace, along with real quick feet are an asset.

Still very disappointing with his end product.

Underlined by that excellent turn and burst of pace in the first half that finished with an impotent pop at goal.

Maclean had made an excellent run and a flick through to him would have left him clean in on goal.

It was the obvious pass to make. Poor judgement. Cammy seems to lack the vision to make such a pass though.

It's what has always let him down. Every time I have seen him play.

Onwards and upwards for Thursday.

Disappointing result in the end but not really surprising considering Aberdeen are clearly a better team than ourselves and probably every other team in the league outwith Celtic obviously. Positives were the defence which were really impressive, particularly McGowan and the two centre backs, Dixon not so much but still did a decent job. Only a flukey goal away from a clean sheet in the end. Bodul is clearly very good with the ball but didn't get involved at all. Erskine played well, Spittal too first half, Rankin alright.

The obvious negative being we didn't look like scoring at all and I'm struggling to see where the goals will come from. Keeper not convincing, Bilate awful yet we still looked far more of a threat attacking wise with him up there bizarrely, there was also a serious lack of urgency second half.

Overall not as shit as I'd feared but still not great.

General consensus around me was he was awful. I thought he done alright. Taking him off was stupid, especially bringing on Murray - he cannot be ahead of Muirhead in the pecking order, please?!

It was a pretty even first half, with Aberdeen gaining the edge the longer the second half wore on, which is worrying given we should have been the fresher team - Erskine, again looked absolutely fcuked after 60 mins.

Aberdeen never looked in danger. The difference in squad depth between the two sides was the difference . United brought on Murray while Aberdeen brought on McGinn. After that the Dons bossed it

It isn't so much about squad depth it is about squad balance. United don't have any natural width right now and when Bodul came on our style totally changed and we couldn't do anything going forward. Aberdeen do have a stronger squad but we also have a pretty decent set of players, what we don't have is enough in key areas.

Aberdeen never looked in danger. The difference in squad depth between the two sides was the difference . United brought on Murray while Aberdeen brought on McGinn. After that the Dons bossed it

Quality over quantity is the key there. United's squad is stupidly huge.

McInnes has done pretty much what I do when playing Footy Manager - get rid of all the shite - spend all your wage budget on a quality XI and a few other players to compete for key positions.

After the travel done during last week any win would do for us.

Even first half with maybe UTD looking like they looked a littlew sharper up top but in the 2nd half Aberdeen dominated it.

Good win for us but the big game is Thursday, would have taken a lose here to win 1-0 on Thursday any day of the week.

Was expecting that to be an absolute car crash so there are positives to take from that. The back 4 did ok, ( didn't think Aberdeen threatened too much though) . Drnun is our new Gavin Gunning - which is a worry but apart from that , they were better than expected.

Souter and ranks had a good first half, but as has been mentioned, wasn't impressed with John boy second half. Just seems to get disinterested and doesn't step up to the mark.

Everyone else has pretty much summed up the front 4. For me one of the issues is the youth/ inexperience. When we went a goal down we had 5 minutes of everyone hiding. The team lacks many things, but one thing is character . It'll come with time, if we can get a settled forward with a few goals under his belt.

Also why no muirhead? Was genuinely disappointed about that.

I understand why we needed to change striker again, Bodul is not the type of player to run channels and challenge in the air. I thought it would have been Muirhead instead of Murray. To his credit Murray did change the dynamic of our attacking play but he does seem to pretty much just be someone who chases the ball around and not much else.

Loads of effort but zero quality. Spittal was alright, Erskine had a few moments but was again breathing out of his arse well before full time, 'keeper looked decent but all over the place at a couple of set pieces. The defence looks fragile at times, both Duran and Donaldson caught out though early days.

Souttar well below what he's capable of, still has to sort himself out positionally, Rankin was Rankin, not good enough really. Telfer should not be played as an attacking midfielder, has never impressed there, should play deeper beside Souttar.

Bilate. No words. Horrible, just horrible. Murray worked hard at least, Bodul and Sniejder struggled to impose themselves but again too early to judge.

Fact is we're well short in crucial areas. We've lost half a team of genuinely talented, match winning players over the past year and are now hoping that McNamara has managed to find a couple of gems from abroad. Considering his transfer record is erratic, I'm not exactly confident that this will be the case.

Feel sorry for Bilate, he was imposing in the air, got into good positions but his touch and composure let him down as did the lack of teammates around him to win his flick ons from long balls. I still think he could do reasonably well as part of a front two and in a system where we are crossing the ball effectively.

It doesnt help that we are soft as shite. The amount of times we pulled out of 50/50s was a disgrace. The only person wearing tangerine that gets wired in is McGowan. Souttar and Rankin were horrific today playing as defensive midfielders and i honestly cant remember either making a tackle the whole game, whereas when you contrast that to Willo Flood who was all over the pitch, it puts they boys to shame. What is clear is that despite Aberdeen doing almost the exact thing last season, we have still to learn and are continually bullied in midfield

It doesnt help that we are soft as shite. The amount of times we pulled out of 50/50s was a disgrace. The only person wearing tangerine that gets wired in is McGowan. Souttar and Rankin were horrific today playing as defensive midfielders and i honestly cant remember either making a tackle the whole game, whereas when you contrast that to Willo Flood who was all over the pitch, it puts they boys to shame. What is clear is that despite Aberdeen doing almost the exact thing last season, we have still to learn and are continually bullied in midfield

McNamara said on ArabZone that he was looking for the team to play with intensity, didn't see much of that today apart from, as you mention, McGowan (and actually to be fair to him Erskine on a couple of occasions). Souttar hopefully isn't thinking he is a better player than he actually is. If he thinks he can saunter about the park and do what he wants then he will be found out big time

Archived