andriod boxes / Kodi

Ordered that one straight from China, think it'll take a while to get here but I'll let you know how I get on when it does.

The stuff I've ordered from china usually takes about a fortnight. :thumsup2

Not really. A pre-loaded one will probably come with more add-ons but whether or not they'll give you much more content than you can already get is debatable - or at least content you actually want.

The convenience of having a box with a remote is the main difference, but if you're not bothered about using your phone, or tablet, to control the chromecast then thats not going to matter much either

Can someone give me a dummies guide about these boxes please? Literally all I know is that it allows you to stream TV.

There isnt a huge amount more to it, to be fair.

You get a little box which you connect to the internet (either wirelessly or with a cable) and to the TV, same as you would connect a Sky box or Blu ray player. It has a remote control too.

They come installed with Kodi, which basically provides a front end, like the Sky planner, and a base to install plug-ins. The boxes will come with a whole bunch of plug-ins already installed.

The plugins are where you get content from. For example, the Genesis plugin gives you access to TV shows, old and new. You search for the show, pick the series and episode you want, then pick a stream and it will, in theory, play. Other plugins have live streams to channels from all over the world, including US networks, Sky sports etc as well as live streams of football from other channels ie you'll get 3pm Saturday EPL games that are being broadcast live abroad.

Thats it really. You can google Kodi and see screenshots of the interface etc for more info.

I dont have a box, but I do have Kodi installed on a PC. I dont think there is anything different on the boxes, other than everything coming pre-installed.

Thanks. Think my girlfriend might like one of these, we don't even have Sky, I tend to watch my programmes through other means.

Can you recommend a place to buy one and what model to get?

No, sorry! I dont have one, I just built a simple PC and installed Kodi myself.

Amazon seem to have plenty but I'd have no idea which models to go for

Don't buy the pre installed ones. They rarely work that well. The builds are old and link to a lot of plugins that no longer operate.

As stated above, once you have kodi just do a little googling and you will find the best plugins for what you want.

ETA and don't whatever you do pay for any plugins etc. There are only a few that charge and do so because they provide top quality streams (usually sport).

Always look into the charging plugins.

Its pretty easy to update kodi on the preinstalled ones anyway

the only reason to buy a pre loaded box or stick is because you arent that tech savvy and maybe not understand how to load the box or stick yourself

the old saying "its only easy if you know how" rings true here, i did mine in an hour one day with an absolute bursting hangover, couldnt get it working at first because i had left one we box unticked

the only reason to buy a pre loaded box or stick is because you arent that tech savvy and maybe not understand how to load the box or stick yourself

the old saying "its only easy if you know how" rings true here, i did mine in an hour one day with an absolute bursting hangover, couldnt get it working at first because i had left one we box unticked

I dont find Kodi, or its plugins, particularly "user friendly" to be honest.

they are easy to use i think, just a bit of a pain to get them loaded first

could be worse i suppose, could be paying for the channels every month lol

In what way?

I think they are quite intuitive after a bit.

Sorry, I meant to install. Although, having said that there are a lot of lists of text