League Cup Group Stage Could Return Next Summer

Eednud

The away goals thing is definitely ridiculous.

Mostly ignoring the complaints of "wahhh boring booo" as we haven't even seen in action yet and folk will just complain about everything anyway. Agree they should bring out some sort of multi-ticket so you can attend all of the matches. Get the draw done live on BT Sport as well.

I had an idea which may be completely stupid but thought it would be a nice touch. Instead of naming the groups 1-8 or A-H, name them after Scottish football icons. 'Group Dalglish' and 'Group Law' and so on. You can then get them involved in the draw, promoting the competition at the same time.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The away goals thing is definitely ridiculous.

Mostly ignoring the complaints of "wahhh boring booo" as we haven't even seen in action yet and folk will just complain about everything anyway. Agree they should bring out some sort of multi-ticket so you can attend all of the matches. Get the draw done live on BT Sport as well.

I had an idea which may be completely stupid but thought it would be a nice touch. Instead of naming the groups 1-8 or A-H, name them after Scottish football icons. 'Group Dalglish' and 'Group Law' and so on. You can then get them involved in the draw, promoting the competition at the same time.

The teams could change names as well. Annan Aligators, Brechin Buffaloes, East Kilbride Roundabouts...

Can someone less lazy than me (eg Hibee Jibee) work out what the regional groups might look like? Assuming with some seeding we wouldn't end up with QP unless we get promoted?

On the basis that the leagues finish as they are, one of the top 4 in the Prem wins the Scottish cup, and Hibs beat Motherwell in the playoff (to keep 1 east / west up & down) it would be something like

South / West

Seeds:

Hamilton

Partick Th

Killie

Rangers

Non Seeds

Airdrie

Albion Rovers

Annan

Ayr

Clyde

Dumbarton

East Stirling

Falkirk

Morton

Motherwell

QoS

Queen's park

St Mirren

Stenhousemuir

Stirling

Stranraer

North/ East

Seeds

Ross County

Dundee

Inverness

Hibs

Non Seeds

Alloa

Arbroath

Berwick

Brechin

Brora

Cowdenbeath

Dundee United

Dunfermline

East Fife

Edinburgh City

Elgin

Forfar

Livingston

Montrose

Peterhead

Raith

I'm not 100% on the geography around Falkirk / Stirling area and would also guess that if the Lowland league champs are from the east then they'll go into that pot and someone like Alloa or Stirling will jump across.

Only problem with that is unless trialists can be fielded (as they can iirc in Challenge Cup 1st Rd) then it makes it difficult for squad preparation for 'real' games.

and further diminishes the incentive for fans to attend.

can't really see how 'treat them as pre-season' works as a long term strategy, with limited subs, no trialist's(maybe) and a need to win makes the approach completely different.

A lot of the time the chance for a youngster to break into the team is when he's given the chance in a pre-season game, the manager has little to lose , a less established player is going to find it difficult to play in these games , particularly at smaller clubs.

But there is evidence that playing the same teams harms attendances.

Is there really? We played QotS away in the league on the 19th September, the attendance was 1565. We played them again away in the league on 10th of October (re-arranged from Boxing Day, and our 3rd trip of the season down there after a cup tie in August as well), the attendance was 1583. In the same way there's no drop in Ayr-Dunfermline attendances.

The only problem is I can see our group being Ross County, ICT (if not in Europe) Elgin and the highland league champs. This might end up not being very regional at all. Pity Aberdeen got good, a competitive game against them would be interesting. Will give it the benefit of the doubt for now though until we see how it works out in practice.

The only problem is I can see our group being Ross County, ICT (if not in Europe) Elgin and the highland league champs. This might end up not being very regional at all. Pity Aberdeen got good, a competitive game against them would be interesting. Will give it the benefit of the doubt for now though until we see how it works out in practice.

With the proposed seeding of 8 Premiership clubs, it doesn't look like Ross County and ICT will be in the same group for some time. You'll probably have one of ICT, Ross County, Dundee, or St Johnstone as things stand. And then 3 others from the east or north.

Mabye the benefit for the Euro qualifiers will become more apparent in the long term. Clubs will become more used to playing at that time of the season after playing a few years in the League Cup groups and when they qualify they won't be put off their stride if they do qualify. It also puts teams on an equal peg at the start of he season, three teams don't come into the league season six games more tired.

I like it.

If we can get rid of useless friendlies against non-league English teams. Further to this we should have more of the smaller local derbies and a chance to 'win' a mini league over your rivals, (I'm looking at you Ayr).

Also, most teams would get an extended cup run of a least 4 games from the group stages and more than that if they qualify rather than the usual one or two rounds for the majority.

There is more money in it for most due to the TV deal.

IMO, the penalties idea is excellent as it makes the shoot out more exciting. 3 points for a win and either 1 or 2 points for a draw depending on whether you win could throw up some unusual results. Hold out for a draw against Celtic and you could be rewarded with 2 points whilst they only get 1 point.

It's different anyway and that can't be bad.

Edit: Celtic should read DU or Motherwell etc as Celtic won't be in the group stages

Terrible idea. How does any of this equate to more meaningful games? Stupid pish like bonus points, gimmicky penalty shoot-outs, the top teams in the country get a free pass to the knock-out stages and regionalised so we'll end up playing who? All the teams we normally play during pre-season. I fail to see how any of that is enticing. The thought behind this is that more folk will show up than for pre-season games in the middle of July. Does anyone think that the reason no one shows up for pre-season games in the middle of July is because they're away enjoying their holidays/the good weather? Add to that the fact that it will cost part-time clubs more money with contract length being extended then it's a firm no from me.

Clubs already treat the Petrofac Cup as an extension of pre-season, I fail to see how doing this will change anything about the League Cup apart from making it even shitter than it already is. Just scrap it and throw everyone championing summer football in the fucking sea.

Seems decent. Would expect our group to be something like Killie, Ayr, Queen of the South, Annan and Stranraer. Gives us the chance of regular derbies. Should at the least increase our revenue a bit.

It will just kill derbies for a while. They'll simply become another game.

It will just kill derbies for a while. They'll simply become another game.

I just don't see that. With Killie v Ayr for example we would probably have one game at home against them every two years as I'd imagine they will alternate home and away. The chances are that this game would attract 10,000+ at our place. QotS v Killie at their place every 2 years for a competitive game sounds brilliant too and I can see us taking 1000-1500 down there regularly.

This might not be the same for every 'region' but it would certainly work for a couple anyway.

On the basis that the leagues finish as they are, one of the top 4 in the Prem wins the Scottish cup, and Hibs beat Motherwell in the playoff (to keep 1 east / west up & down) it would be something like

South / West

Seeds:

Hamilton

Partick Th

Killie

Rangers

Non Seeds

Airdrie

Albion Rovers

Annan

Ayr

Clyde

Dumbarton

East Stirling

Falkirk

Morton

Motherwell

QoS

Queen's park

St Mirren

Stenhousemuir

Stirling

Stranraer

North/ East

Seeds

Ross County

Dundee

Inverness

Hibs

Non Seeds

Alloa

Arbroath

Berwick

Brechin

Brora

Cowdenbeath

Dundee United

Dunfermline

East Fife

Edinburgh City

Elgin

Forfar

Livingston

Montrose

Peterhead

Raith

I'm not 100% on the geography around Falkirk / Stirling area and would also guess that if the Lowland league champs are from the east then they'll go into that pot and someone like Alloa or Stirling will jump across.

Thanks. Think I misunderstood the concept and thought there would be four groups of seeds. At least if there's only one seed it gives a better chance for a smaller club to get through if they get a jammy draw.

I'm assuming clubs will just get gate receipts from the two home gates rather than sharing the crowd from all four?

With the proposed seeding of 8 Premiership clubs, it doesn't look like Ross County and ICT will be in the same group for some time. You'll probably have one of ICT, Ross County, Dundee, or St Johnstone as things stand. And then 3 others from the east or north.

Cheers, will have to see what happens then. Hopefully they can vary the groups as otherwise any novelty will wear off. At the end of they day if we are playing I will be going so whether it is League Cup or a friendly probably doesn't matter too much. The last two league cups we have gone straight out after drawing Dundee and The Rangers so I guess it is a chance to maybe get a couple of extra games.

I take it they're going for the word's longest running cup competition? One of the major problems with the current set up is it dragging on thanks to UEFA's empire builders fucking around domestic football for their cash cows. Three months between quarter and semi finals is a joke. With the final still being in March this'll be an 8 month long competition. Ridiculous.

I take it they're going for the word's longest running cup competition? One of the major problems with the current set up is it dragging on thanks to UEFA's empire builders fucking around domestic football for their cash cows. Three months between quarter and semi finals is a joke. With the final still being in March this'll be an 8 month long competition. Ridiculous.

Well for most of us it's going to be a 3-7 day competition

Aye, think it'll be 8 Premiership teams with the rest drawn from 2 pots of 16 arranged by South / West and North East like the early round of the challenge cup, with teams like Alloa/ Stirling / Stenny (don't know who does it currently) floating between pots to even up the numbers depending on who is in the Premiership.

Surely obvious 'regions' would be current N/S split for Challenge Cup 1st Rd?

The current Challenge Cup regions are clearly inequitable. This season, only three Championship sides are in the North region (Falkirk, Raith Rovers and Alloa), while seven were in the South region (Rangers, Hibs, St. Mirren, Queen of the South, Livingston, Morton & Dumbarton).

While it might not always be this pronounced, I think there needs to be a mechanism to ensure an even split of teams from the the top two divisions in the regions (however many there may be), especially if only half of the runners up are going to progress to the next round.

Archived