Tipping

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the deal with tipping hotel staff. Last week we had a night in the Fairmont in st andrews (pretty fancy big b*****d of a hotel) and I realised at the end that I didn't tip . Should I have?

The concierge guys parked my car a couple of times but we carried our own bags.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33849595

The article above, tells how Pizza Express take 8% of all tips paid by credit / debit cards as an admin fee for processing these, which in turn adds around an extra £1 million to their profits each year.  

The article also explains how inconsistent this seems to be within the industry, with some big chains taking no fee, whilst others take up to 10%.

Personally I think this is fucking ridiculous but the P&B masses may disagree

An extra £1m profit means more money for the tax man which benefits you and me (in Conservative Cuckoo land anyway), whereas tips being paid in cash I assume are not declared by 99% of staff who receive tips in this manner - negatively affecting the tax payer.

I try to remember cash to leave a tip as generally I pay by card.  I do try to leave 10%.  My girlfriend, who worked in a pub and should know better, is a dreadful tipper.

I actually thought this thread was about fly-tipping which I got done for when I moved into my first flat about 12 years ago due to:

33% me being a lazy fly tipper

33% a complete arsehole who owned a house in the country

33% my mum being a grass.

And the other 1% just bad luck.

Archived