Tipping

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big fan of Tipping myself. Taxi if it's £9 and I hand over a £10 note they can keep the change etc. Barber the same. Restaurant never usually go over 10% unless something special, won't tip if the service is shite, rude etc.

I'm quite variable in my tipping but generally it's out of convenience. If it's £7, £8 or £9 I'm likely to hand over a tenner and whoever's getting the tip can deal with it.

I've never tipped delivery drivers though, surely that's what the extra £2 on the order is for?

Over here its odd that we seem to tip for everything as the staff are being paid a wage but 10-15% in a restaurant is fair.

The situation in America is a scandal and you have to feel bad for people who live without a guaranteed wage. However, if you've got $15 in your pocket do you need to go find a meal somewhere for $10 knowing you need to tip? It's an odd situation if you ask me and I'd probably rather these were included in the advertised price.

I tip bar staff first round if the bars really busy and they don't serve people who cut in, I think it's fair and usually ensures decent service rest of the night and normally give them a quid a round after.

Never understood why people don't do this more often. Used to do it regularly if we were on a night out or there was a decent crowd going to a game and the pub was busy. Always get the first round in and give a decent tip(Usually a quid a head) and it would guarantee you quick service whenever you went back up to the bar. Likewise, when I worked in the pubs, if someone gave me a good tip or was known as a regular tipper they would be served far quicker than most.

I hate the system in America - it leads to a kind of service they think is good, but we tend to find obsequious and creepy. The worst I remember was in New York, where literally the waiter was over every second or third bite.

"And how was THAT bit of chicken, sir...?"

Ended up having to tell him to relax - he was getting a tip, but it was going to go down every time he came back over.

ETA: The funniest one I've ever seen was a bunch of Germans a few tables away from us again in New York in the Times Square Brewery - they refused to tip and the manager actually came over to remonstrate with them.

"It iss not our fault if you not pay your staff well..."

Never understood why people don't do this more often. Used to do it regularly if we were on a night out or there was a decent crowd going to a game and the pub was busy. Always get the first round in and give a decent tip(Usually a quid a head) and it would guarantee you quick service whenever you went back up to the bar. Likewise, when I worked in the pubs, if someone gave me a good tip or was known as a regular tipper they would be served far quicker than most.

I've tended to find it's only somewhat effective. If it's really busy I find that there is a very good chance they won't actually remember you, plus there are likely to be more bar staff so you would have to try to catch the eye of the one you had before and it usually would still put you behind any women who turn up at the bar. I've never really understood why people don't queue at bars. In this country it seems like we queue for everything but on the very rare occasion I've seen someone queue in a pub or at a bar (for some reason only at student unions, usually of more prestigious universities) I've always thought it was strange and not quite right, wonder what has caused this difference. . .

If there's a service charge ,I don't tip, if I do tip ,it's in cash and just however much I think they deserve for the service.

One thing I hate about North America is the assumption by people that you must tip regardless, I've even had a waitress come to our table in the middle of dinner to tell us her shift was finished and if we wanted to give her ,her tip! Felt like saying ,get the fuk ya cheeky cow...obviously tipped her though.

Guest The Phoenix

Because when I eat on my own or with one other person at a place in not a frequent customer the food is usually more expensive and I'm a poor student.

Poor and useless.

Tough times.

I've tended to find it's only somewhat effective. If it's really busy I find that there is a very good chance they won't actually remember you, plus there are likely to be more bar staff so you would have to try to catch the eye of the one you had before and it usually would still put you behind any women who turn up at the bar. I've never really understood why people don't queue at bars. In this country it seems like we queue for everything but on the very rare occasion I've seen someone queue in a pub or at a bar (for some reason only at student unions, usually of more prestigious universities) I've always thought it was strange and not quite right, wonder what has caused this difference. . .

To an extent it depends on the type of place you are drinking. I certainly have a very high success rate in making it work, and any time I was receiving a tip at £5 plus I would definitely remember who had served me, just in case there is more of the same to come.

It's not all positive though.

I used to work in a bar in my village and one of the regulars would tip everyone £1-2 every drink he bought but for some reason always gave me a fiver.

One day I was working and I mentioned that my parents were away on holiday and I had the place to myself, that evening he turned up to the house with a takeaway and 2 bottles of brandy. I'd invited a couple of friends over and when he saw them he just left the takeaway and booze and headed home.

On my next shift I was demoted to the £1 tips :(

It's the opportunities you miss that haunt you I suppose.

I used to work in a bar in my village and one of the regulars would tip everyone £1-2 every drink he bought but for some reason always gave me a fiver.

One day I was working and I mentioned that my parents were away on holiday and I had the place to myself, that evening he turned up to the house with a takeaway and 2 bottles of brandy. I'd invited a couple of friends over and when he saw them he just left the takeaway and booze and headed home.

This doesn't sound weird at all.

All he probably wanted was a wee tug..

A few years ago we were in PF Changs restaurant in Boston. We had to wait a while to be seated, then the food came very slowly and the waiter forgot the drinks. All in all it wasn't the best experience so I didn't leave tip when we left, quickly followed by said waiter chasing us out the door to inform us we hadn't left his tip. He was telt....

The Hope. Was Peroni tbf, although Estrella was £4.80. Also not sure if they had jacked it up for the Commonwealths (I've been holding this grudge a while).

Why anyone bothers buying Peroni, knowing full well they're about to be stung by someone pouting Italian Carling into an over-tall silly glass is beyond me.

RE tipping, I was under the impression 12.5% was basic if everything had gone well in a restaurant. Usually easier to go 15% or a little more if everything has been great. Cash whenever possible, but being a tightarse so will quite often pay the tip on card (as long as the staff say they get it), as I eat a lot of meals on company time, so it's simpler to pay the full whack on my work card.

I hate it when I'm out with a group of people and folk haven't thought ahead and brought cash though. Any time I hear someone go "can we pay a 6th of the bill on my card?", I want to punch them in the face. You're a grown adult, ffs. Try thinking slightly in advance of what foot goes on front of the other. Idiot.

I go to the local Turkish barber, and they charge a very reasonable £8. Obviously they get a round tenner each time, which I'm sure is the reason they charge just under a round number. That way the guys get to charge a cheap amount, bringing in custom, but get paid what they secretly actually want, and the customer gets to feel good about giving a tip. Everyone goes away happy.

Taxis - depends entirely on the guys doing it right. I get a lot of taxis and usually tip, again they're mostly for work, but same applies in personal time. However: if I realise the guy is taking the piss with a circuitous route he gets nowt.

One thing I hate about North America is the assumption by people that you must tip regardless, I've even had a waitress come to our table in the middle of dinner to tell us her shift was finished and if we wanted to give her ,her tip! Felt like saying ,get the fuk ya cheeky cow...obviously tipped her though.

I've had that in a bar in Toronto. The girl came over to tell us her shift was ending and asked if we wanted to settle up. Without thinking, and slightly inebriated, I said to just keep the tab running. My mate who lives there, then explained any tip we left would go to the next barmaid. We'd been in there a couple of hours and the service was good, so I didn't actually mind settling up. If id been in the middle of a meal, I'd have been pissed off.

Archived