The Big Renfrewshire Derby: Greenock Morton v The Spoon-Burners

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'As this match is being screened live on BBC Alba, there will be a camera gantry constructed within the Cowshed at the half way line. This will mean that part of the terracing and seating in this area will be unavailable for supporters and we would apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause'.

Yas...

I have always struggled to understand why this local derby would be met with as much relish by the Paisley support as it is by the Morton followers.

For Morton, it is an opportunity to test themselves against a traditionally more successful side from the larger and nearby settlement.

St. Mirren do not have this same challenge, a far more relevant derby for them would be Partick Thistle or as was Rangers and this is who I would aim to best should I have supported them.

I have always struggled to understand why this local derby would be met with as much relish by the Paisley support as it is by the Morton followers.

For Morton, it is an opportunity to test themselves against a traditionally more successful side from the larger and nearby settlement.

St. Mirren do not have this same challenge, a far more relevant derby for them would be Partick Thistle or as was Rangers and this is who I would aim to best should I have supported them.

Because it just is, it's a derby. Morton don't particularly like St Mirren, they don't particularly like us. There's plenty of teams 100x more successful than their derby counterpart but still treat the derby seriously.

One does not simply pick a derby.

"Simple geographic proximity as well as frequent meetings in important games can lead to rivalries. Games between two rivals of close geographical proximity are usually called a local derby, or simply just derby (UK: /ˈdɑrbi/; DAR-bee or AUS/US: /ˈdɜrbi/; DER-bee); a sporting fixture between two teams from the same town, city or region, particularly in association football."

If you offered St Mirren a gubbing of Partick, Morton or The Rangers (albeit the latter being very tempting), they'd likely pick Morton.

Oh no. I'd far rather pump Rangers. Most St. Mirren fans would. In fact I'd hope most football fans would. Morton is a rivalry and a good one at that. Nothing beats getting one over on one of the ugly sisters though.

Oh no. I'd far rather pump Rangers. Most St. Mirren fans would. In fact I'd hope most football fans would. Morton is a rivalry and a good one at that. Nothing beats getting one over on one of the ugly sisters though.

In saying that, I wouldn't swap the win over Celtic for any kind of win over St Mirren, you may have a point!

Exactly. I don't know a single St Mirren fan who would pick pumping Morton over pumping any of the scabby twins.

If either of the bigots played Morton, I'd want Morton to win.

In fact, Morton are probably my favourite wee team.

Exactly. I don't know a single St Mirren fan who would pick pumping Morton over pumping any of the scabby twins.

If either of the bigots played Morton, I'd want Morton to win.

In fact, Morton are probably my favourite wee team.

:D

Nothing beats getting one over on one of the ugly sisters though.

This.

I was delighted when St. Mirren beat Celtic in that cup semi and laughed when they scudded them 4-0 in the league.

Great though derby wins may be nothing can beat a night like, say, the one in my sig.

Archived