St Johnstone FC versus Motherwell FC

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much better second half. Amazing how much a goal changed Maclean's performance - you could see his confidence grow. The subs totally altered it in our favour as well, not only Wotherspoon coming on, but also Barraclough's bizarre subs.

Not sure what to say about that, tbh. First half was absolutely inept, genuinely had me thinking we'd fighting relegation. Second half started the same, until we finally stumbled into a decent area, Cummins was smart enough to cross it and Macca had the tap in. Then Mikey twelfth cut back of the match found Macca in acres of space again.

Its frustrating as f**k how bad we start, as we looked brilliant once we'd actually got the goal. I refuse to lay off Scobbie, whos an absolute bombscare, while Lappin was pretty awful too, can't help but feel both are getting played out of their best position though. MacLean was brutal until he scored, then turned into the player of two seasons ago, if he continues that form then fair play to him. O'Halloran obscenely good.

Motherwell get what they deserve for going completely negative once they scored, the subs they made were completely bamboozling to me too. The red card was simply hilarious.

Tommy Wright deserves criticism for starting Lappin in particular who has been woeful this season (being polite). I would be quite keen to see us try to move him on so imagine my dismay to see him starting today. He was absolutely dreadful and Wotherspoon was night and day better on the left. He gave much better protection to Easton than I've seen Lappin or Craig do this season and we actually looked much better all over the park once he came on. No surprise he was involved in yet another goal too. Spoony takes a lot of grief from our fans but I always think we look better with him in the team and he's always going to be a better option than any form of Simon Lappin. The midfield at one point looked like this:

O'Halloran Davidson Millar Wotherspoon

And it was easily the most comfortable our midfield (and defence) has looked all season. Wouldn't mind seeing that midfield four again. Thought MacLean earned a start after last couple of weeks so wasn't bothered to see him starting, unlike some fellow Saintees. He linked up well with both of his partners and others on plenty of occasions and its pleasing to see him end that goal drought with three in two games.

The less said about the first half the better.

Not sure what to say about that, tbh. First half was absolutely inept, genuinely had me thinking we'd fighting relegation. Second half started the same, until we finally stumbled into a decent area, Cummins was smart enough to cross it and Macca had the tap in. Then Mikey twelfth cut back of the match found Macca in acres of space again.

Its frustrating as f**k how bad we start, as we looked brilliant once we'd actually got the goal. I refuse to lay off Scobbie, whos an absolute bombscare, while Lappin was pretty awful too, can't help but feel both are getting played out of their best position though. MacLean was brutal until he scored, then turned into the player of two seasons ago, if he continues that form then fair play to him. O'Halloran obscenely good.

Motherwell get what they deserve for going completely negative once they scored, the subs they made were completely bamboozling to me too. The red card was simply hilarious.

The problem with Scobbie is he actually had an ok game today but he's just capable of utter bombscare moments that could easily lead to us conceding goals. I just don't know if he's good enough at this level. I've never been convinced of him at full back and always thought he was better at centre half so I don't know where we go from here. Lappin is past it.

I feel my frustrations in that first half were kept back from the players, only by Craig Thompson's inept performance. Don't think I've ever got so angry at a display. Don't think it was the worst I've seen, just the sheer arrogance of the man.

Do you ever think that anything is 'ok' or 'mediocre'? It seems that everything is either sublime or absolutely awful.

Having said that, the first-half was largely dire and the players seemed to have learnt nothing from their slow starts in previous league matches. I wasn't a fan of the starting line-up in its entirety. As I mentioned before, MacLean proved me wrong today. He wasn't 'brutal until he scored'. He was ineffectual, however, until the latter stages of the first half when he provided two good shots on goal which Motherwell's keeper did well to keep out.

I thought, as a team, we played some reasonable football in patches and the second-half was particularly good. Hopefully this result will give the players confidence and help them to maintain that level of performance for considerably longer. We have a team which is capable of beating any other top-flight team on its day.

A deserved second yellow card for the Motherwell player, whose dive was a pretty poor attempt. And I maintain that the King of Spain is a complete shitehawk.

I feel my frustrations in that first half were kept back from the players, only by Craig Thompson's inept performance. Don't think I've ever got so angry at a display. Don't think it was the worst I've seen, just the sheer arrogance of the man.

The East Stand linesman was as bad. In the first half when Shaughnessy pumps it up the line, you actually hear the deflection and see the ball change course yet its given as a goal kick :lol:

No mention it came from Eastons ridiculous back heel in his own box, and it was cupties man that got the tap in,Scobbie had a moment a few minutes later, but had no real part in their goal imo

Not sure how blaming the left side of the team wasn't including Easton tbh

TBH I thought we were awful for 60 minutes.

Wotherspoon came on, didn't get a foul then rattled into a tackle then everything changed.

O'Halloran good again, great to see MacLean scoring.

Thought it might have been a penalty for the sending off but theatrical.

Horrible start and a poor decision to start Lappin imo. Scobbie, who I have been supportive of, has become an absolute bombscare.

Far better second half and O'Halloran must be a nightmare for defenders just now. Was Chalmers brought on specifically to try and stop him?

Great performance from Macca in the end and also from Wotherspoon when he came on.

I thought there were so many bad choices made by the players all over the park , for the first 30 minutes, Muzz was the only one showing any appetite or commitment, but Macca had two great efforts that on an other day could've turned the game. Second half was much more on the front foot, especially when Spoony came on and added some energy,the midfield that finished is our best imo, and I'm not sure Swanson has the engine/ strength of Spoony

If that was your implication, then I apologise, I assumed Scobbie was getting the blame, as left cb, sorry

No need, I shouldve made it clearer. Eastons probably been as bad defensively as Scobbie this season, but hasnt been making so many costly mistakes.

Archived