Albion Rovers v Airdrie

He signed him despite him rejecting us last season and then having a rotten year in the league below, so he clearly does rate him.

We were poor in the first half and didn't deserve to go in 2-0 up. This was mainly down to playing a central 3 in midfield allowing Rovers to stroll up the right wing to about 18 yards out unchallenged and then put the ball into the box. Thankfully their delivery was pretty awful. Bollan changed it at half time and from about 50-55 minutes onwards we were by far the better team and could have scored a couple more. When we actually got the ball down and passed it rather than lumping it up the park we were far superior. Thought Fitzpatrick was excellent when he came on, wins a lot of second balls in the midfield and we look more solid with him there. We're gradually getting better, 2 toughest games of the season coming up though, they'll probably show us whether we should be aiming just for the play-offs or higher.

Ouch - sorry DaF - my fat finger on iPad seems to have given a reddie - didn't mean it. I'll make it up!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First game for a while...

Somehow we managed to get 2-0 up. Hats off to Morgan for his well taken goal. As mentioned previously we were fairly exposed down the flanks, particularly our left in the first half. Although they scored early second half felt we were fairly comfortable through to the final whistle.

Cox took his goal very well and worked his socks off. Not sure what happened on the far side midway through first half but look a bit dodge from what I could see. Thought Watt also had a very good game, as did Morgan. Held the ball up pretty well and always looked fairly dangerous.

All in all a good 3 points.

Expect Rovers to have enough keep them up, particularly if someone can get them 10-15 goals.

A very disappointing game from a Rovers point of view. Airdrie proved themselves the better team in Monklands and deserve the bragging rights, although we weren't a million miles away from pulling off a result.

Without a couple of gifts from the brothers Dunlop, we might have held out. Another ref might have sent off David Cox for his violent conduct and that could have been a game-changer. But the only "what-ifs" I'm concerned about is: what if the forwards took their chances, or in some cases just attempted to take them?

I'm not John Gemmell's number 1 fan but it's no secret that he performs in the big games, and loves a goal against Airdrie- I'd start him in any derby match. None of the Rovers starters had particularly good games, but I thought Josh Mullin and Alan Reid were excellent in the first half. Everything went through those two; they created constantly, putting in crosses of mixed quality- but even the good ones weren't put to good use.

Ross Stewart was terrific in goals again; beaten only by two calamities and then a terrific strike from wee Cox. He certainly had a better game than his counterpart, who was pretty bloody calamitous himself. He's lucky to be playing behind an excellent pairing of Crighton and Lithgow; just as I thought he was lucky to play behind Dunlop and Dunlop while at ARFC.

Certainly a deserved win for our neighbours, but one can only think back to Darren Young's goal for 2-1 and wonder why what should have been a re-energising moment was actually the end of our fight. Lessons hopefully learned, while we're still in a promising position.

Really good day out and enjoyable day out on the new terracing.

Airdrie were clinical and had a bit of luck on their side too and overall deserved the win.

Morgan had a good game today. Did what was asked of him and took his goal well. He's no Jim Lister but he's getting better.

Cox also took his goal well too though he was lucky to stay on the park.

Watt MOTM IMO.

Parry had a few dodgy moments but was solid enough and made a top class save at the start of the first half.

Rovers had a few good chances and spells of pressure but poor quality prevented them from making anything of them.

Does anyone know if Diamonds TV were there? Would like to see our 2nd goal again and also the 'goal' that wasn't given (looked like the goalie had taken the ball over the line from where we were standing).

left the game at the end down the stairs and there were some rovers fans coming out at same time .I take exception to the comments on the Albion Rovers forum about their fans fearing running a gauntlet of rampaging Airdrie fans at full time .There was no trouble at the end and the Rovers should be more worried about the safety aspects of their Bob the Builder plywood advertising boards in the new "Airdrie " end terracing someone could have got hurt and if the Rovers are worried about having to stay in at the end just let the Airdrie fans exit by the gate to the left of the new terrace.I think some fans used that exit later on after the final whistle then the Rover fans dont need to worry about being kept in .Common sense at a football match well thats a new idea that might catch on

A very disappointing game from a Rovers point of view. Airdrie proved themselves the better team in Monklands and deserve the bragging rights, although we weren't a million miles away from pulling off a result.

Without a couple of gifts from the brothers Dunlop, we might have held out. Another ref might have sent off David Cox for his violent conduct and that could have been a game-changer. But the only "what-ifs" I'm concerned about is: what if the forwards took their chances, or in some cases just attempted to take them?

I'm not John Gemmell's number 1 fan but it's no secret that he performs in the big games, and loves a goal against Airdrie- I'd start him in any derby match. None of the Rovers starters had particularly good games, but I thought Josh Mullin and Alan Reid were excellent in the first half. Everything went through those two; they created constantly, putting in crosses of mixed quality- but even the good ones weren't put to good use.

Ross Stewart was terrific in goals again; beaten only by two calamities and then a terrific strike from wee Cox. He certainly had a better game than his counterpart, who was pretty bloody calamitous himself. He's lucky to be playing behind an excellent pairing of Crighton and Lithgow; just as I thought he was lucky to play behind Dunlop and Dunlop while at ARFC.

Certainly a deserved win for our neighbours, but one can only think back to Darren Young's goal for 2-1 and wonder why what should have been a re-energising moment was actually the end of our fight. Lessons hopefully learned, while we're still in a promising position.

Good post, except your analysis of the goalkeepers. Yet to be fully convinced by Parry, and his kicking is poor, but his save at 0-0 probably won us that match. Stewart was a bawhair away from the most calamitous goalkeeping howler I've seen in a long time.

Parry "bloody calamitous"? Apart from his game changing world class save! Ross Stewart was ok, one top save, blameless for goals, though some of your fans seem keen to blame him on the forum.

Parry is a very good shot-stopper but, as he demonstrated today, he can't kick or deal with crosses, and is prone to a miscellaneous royal howler- like his brief encounter with Ally Love.

I can't see how anyone could blame Stewart for the defeat. Apart from a wee stumble while backpedalling for a save he was absolutely solid. At times, when looking to break quickly from the Airdrie attacks, it even felt like he was the most forward-thinking player.

Cox being lucky to be kept on the park.....heard there's been a direct apology for "trying to get u sent off cause we were 2-0 down" disappointed airdrie fans are quick to second guess what happened from the opposite end of the pitch.

To Be fair, Mrs Cox, I think Airdrie fans are quite happy with your hubby's performance thus far.

Watt, Morgan and Cox were brilliant today. It's a really good three points to take going into two tough games up next. Hopefully we can take something from both games and keep ourselves up there. I still feel we need to sharpen up at the back (especially in the air) but it's been a good start to the season so far so no complaints here. Let's hope we can keep going.

Disappointed to have missed this game, sounds like it was a good one. We may not be playing like Real Madrid, but four wins on the bounce is good form, and we're off to a better start than we have been for many years. It's good to see goals coming from around the team - as with last year. I don't think we'll have more than one player getting an impressive haul (even last year, I think only Prunty reached double figures), but with enough players scoring a few, and a tight defence we should be in a good position.

Re: Bollan not rating McAleer - as stated above, he did re-sign him, and played him a lot when he was with us first time round. I did a wee check of McAleer's appearances this so far this season:

Started vs. Brechin, Cowdenbeath

Used as a sub vs. Annan, Albion Rovers

Unused sub vs. Stirling, Forfar, Stenny

Not in the squad (suspended) vs. Rangers, Peterhead.

So he's not made himself a permanent fixture, but he still seems to be very much in Bollan's hands. Unlike previous managers we've had, I think Bollan is willing to let players prove themselves and fight their way into the team. I also think he's still figuring out what his his best XI is - both of these allow for McAleer to be a significant part of our squad this season, if he takes his chances.

Totally deserved win for Airdrie. Rovers played some decent stuff especially in the first half but if you defend like that there is only one outcome. Things might have been different if we had taken one of our chances before half time - but again the majority of our final balls wasn't good enough and Airdrie looked dangerous on the break.

Despite our early second half goal you could write the script , Airdrie were getting stronger as we tired. Mullin was our best player while I was disappointed in Willis who had plenty of the ball.

We walked to the game talking to Airdrie fans before and after absolutely no problem.

Cox being lucky to be kept on the park.....heard there's been a direct apology for "trying to get u sent off cause we were 2-0 down" disappointed airdrie fans are quick to second guess what happened from the opposite end of the pitch.

I missed what cox did but the rovers player should have been off for kicking him.

Archived