Raith v Dumbarton

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question for Sons fans (I suppose Raith fans can have a go too with their own team), watching that game got me thinking about the squad so the question is - how many of last years team at Raith would you take in this years squad heading to Raith?

Team that day: Rogers, van Zanten, Linton, Turner, Graham, Mair, Kirkpatrick, Agnew, Campbell, Nish, Megginson . Subs: Taggart, Murray, McDougall, Prunty, Gilhaney, Fleming, Grindlay (GK)

I honestly don't think I'd take any of them. I reckon Aggie and Rogers are the only two and even then I wouldn't be all that fussed about Rogers as I think Mark Brown is fine. Everywhere else I think we have better options at the moment. One can only hope that this squad travel to Kirkcaldy better than last years.

So it's pretty much 100% change for you guys?

Looking at our probable starting 11 vs. what we had for that game, last year:

Cuthbert....... Cuthbert

Thomson......Thomson

Mckeown......Mckeown

Perry............Benedictus

Watson........Toshney

Fox..............McCord

Scott...........Davidson

Conroy....... Craigen

Anderson....Anderson

Elliot...........Stewart

Nade..........Daly

On the surface of it, big changes, but Elliot only lasted ten minutes before he was injured and replaced by Stewart, and our team evolved a bit over the season so that Callachan and Vaughan were guaranteed starters, and would be if they were fit this year. On the other hand Cuthbert and Mckeown are like totally new signings this year.

So it's pretty much 100% change for you guys?

Looking at our probable starting 11 vs. what we had for that game, last year:

Cuthbert....... Cuthbert

Thomson......Thomson

Mckeown......Mckeown

Perry............Benedictus

Watson........Toshney

Fox..............McCord

Scott...........Davidson

Conroy....... Craigen

Anderson....Anderson

Elliot...........Stewart

Nade..........Daly

On the surface of it, big changes, but Elliot only lasted ten minutes before he was injured and replaced by Stewart, and our team evolved a bit over the season so that Callachan and Vaughan were guaranteed starters, and would be if they were fit this year. On the other hand Cuthbert and Mckeown are like totally new signings this year.

Garry Fleming and Jamie Ewings (was signed with us last year but not in that squad) are the only ones from that squad still here. Looks like both teams feel they're better off this year so it should be an interesting game. I hope Buchanan isn't as big a miss as I think he'll be on Saturday, he was the best player on the park against Rangers. Time for Wright to earn his crust.

I'd be quite confident in saying I believe that every player we have replaced from last season in the list Renton mentioned is worse than the one we've brought in. The only one I'd have doubts over would be Daly over Nade, but even then I'd far rather have Lewis Vaughan than either of them. Craigen isn't a natural left winger, but he's trying his heart out there and even when he's drifted inside he's still proven a goal scoring threat so far. Replacing Watson and Perry with Benedictus and Toshney is like day and night for us.

I'm sure that Dumbarton fans will say the same of their team too (a few have already have a laugh at some of the players they had). This will no doubt be a tough encounter. It'll certainly be interesting to see how Willie Gibson does if he features. He used to tear us to shreds at times for the Pars, but when he was poor he was abysmal.

Really looking forward to sitting in the corner section of an Archibald Leitch Main Stand. Always wondered what it must have been like attending football in the 1920's, when having rickets was de rigeur and compensated for the lack of leg room.

Fixed that for you ;) It is of course the Turnbull Hutton stand. Auld Earchie just designed it and lots of 'em (Ibrox, Annfield, Goodison, Roker Park,Villa Pak to name but a few).

Have to agree with Rovers 92/93, the main stand at Starks is comparative luxury given the leg room available at places like Cappielow or another non favourite of mine the main stand at Tannadice.

As for the actual game it may greatly depend on what we are left with after our grilling at Parkhead. On paper are Sons a sterner test than Alloa or Livvi? I'd say so yes but will they prove a harder examination than QoS? Who knows. As long as we don't turn up with the wrong attitude just expecting to roll them over and pick up 3 easy points we should be good enough to win.

Garry Fleming and Jamie Ewings (was signed with us last year but not in that squad) are the only ones from that squad still here. Looks like both teams feel they're better off this year so it should be an interesting game. I hope Buchanan isn't as big a miss as I think he'll be on Saturday, he was the best player on the park against Rangers. Time for Wright to earn his crust.

Kirkpatrick and Taggart are also still here.

I don't see this as anything other than a tough shift as Raith have made a very decent start to the season. We look to be difficult to break down when we play the big lads, but it's when a more expansive game is required our forward shortcomings (so far) are evident.

First goal could be crucial here.

No doubt about that. Every time we have scored the first goal this season we have won. Every time we have conceded the first goal we have lost.

I for one, love our bus shelter. Being slightly more serious, I hope that we are in the Railway Stand again as it might help to exorcise the memory of 9 August 2014 and those flesh coloured socks.

I don't mind where we sit but what I want to know is why they never sell chocolate at Starks park

I don't mind where we sit but what I want to know is why they never sell chocolate at Starks park

Au contraire, in the South Stand there is a wee tuckshop separate from the pie stalls which sells chocolate bars. I can only guess we don't extend the same hospitality to our guests. :P

Barry Cook is the referee for Saturday.

Any faint chance of me making this journey has now been demolished. I'm finding it hard to keep track of all the shite referees these days, is Barry Cook the one that we've never won a game that he has refereed? Or is that Brian Colvin? Or Bobby Madden? f**k knows. Home win anyway.

Any faint chance of me making this journey has now been demolished. I'm finding it hard to keep track of all the shite referees these days, is Barry Cook the one that we've never won a game that he has refereed? Or is that Brian Colvin? Or Bobby Madden? f**k knows. Home win anyway.

Barry Cook is the one who didn't send off Gary Irvine when we were at home to Dundee because he booked the wrong player and then did send off Colin Nish for not very much.

Barry Cook is the one who didn't send off Gary Irvine when we were at home to Dundee because he booked the wrong player and then did send off Colin Nish for not very much.

Unfortunately Cook, Colvin, Charleston, Madden etc., are no longer notable such is the generally abysmal standard in refereeing nowadays. Not all the refs fault mark you, as what their guidelines demand greatly determines their actions.

Thank f*** I started watching football in the early 60's when it was still a contact sport and common sense was permitted.

Appears we played quite well last night and gave Celtic a decent game. Hopefully the team are still full of confidence going into Saturday and fingers crossed we maintain our unbeaten home record. Our next three games (2 of which are at home) are all very winnable imo.

I'll be miffed if some part time mob have the audacity to score against us at The Fortress. I've gone and done it now haven't I? :P

Archived