Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Does the French Open have a curfew? I know the Australian and US Opens don’t.

They play until light fades.  They have night sessions now and that session on Chatrier will finish when the match is finished.  Nadal Djokovic last year was still going at midnight 

1 minute ago, Loki said:

They play until light fades.  They have night sessions now and that session on Chatrier will finish when the match is finished.  Nadal Djokovic last year was still going at midnight 

Just to clarify all other courts apart from Chatrier play until light fades.  Chatrier with its roof is floodlit.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

So Wimbledon is the only GS with a set curfew. Is that because there’s flats and houses next to it?

Sounds like a resident problem to me.

Long as the match isn't starting at about midnight, fucking finish it.

Why is there a curfew for Wimbledon?

"The 11pm curfew is a planning condition applied to balance the consideration of the local residents with the scale of an international tennis event that takes place in a residential area," Wimbledon organisers said in 2018.

"The challenge of transport connectivity and getting visitors home safely is also a key consideration.

"The curfew was introduced for the opening of the centre court roof in 2009."

Just now, GiGi said:

Sounds like a resident problem to me.

Long as the match isn't starting at about midnight, fucking finish it.

It must be to do with that. You see on the aerial shots there’s tower blocks across the road. If they insist on having one at least extend it to midnight. 11 seems a bit arbitrary.

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Seems pretty reasonable to end it and come back tomorrow rather than having thousands of people staggering around London with no way home.

Then let those who need to go home leave and open the doors to those leaving the pubs at kicking out time. Not rocket science.

Some lineup that is on centre today:- Alcaraz, the remainder of Murray/Tsitsipas, Swiatek, and then finally Wawrinka/Djokovic. Wonder if they'll get through it all or if we might see the last one carried over again. Not unimaginable the first three of those are reasonably quick I suppose.

56 minutes ago, JR74 said:

Some lineup that is on centre today:- Alcaraz, the remainder of Murray/Tsitsipas, Swiatek, and then finally Wawrinka/Djokovic. Wonder if they'll get through it all or if we might see the last one carried over again. Not unimaginable the first three of those are reasonably quick I suppose.

Aye I think the first 3 will be done 7 by, if they start sharp at 1, which should leave plenty of time for Wawrinka/Djokovic.

Yesterday was a bit of an anomaly, no one expected Broady/Ruud to go the distance, and one of the games during Rybakina/Cornet lasted about 20 minutes.  Something like 14 deuces in that game.  They also closed the roof during it which was another delay.

They shouldn't be starting at close to 2pm anyway. Its absolutely farcical the time Centre Court kicks off. If you've got 2 mens and 1 women's and all 3 go the distance, you've no chance of finishing all 3 in the allotted 9 hours.

No reason why they shouldn't be starting at 12 on the dot.

9 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

They shouldn't be starting at close to 2pm anyway. Its absolutely farcical the time Centre Court kicks off. If you've got 2 mens and 1 women's and all 3 go the distance, you've no chance of finishing all 3 in the allotted 9 hours.

No reason why they shouldn't be starting at 12 on the dot.

Wimbledon have tonnes of shite stuff like this.  Get all courts started at the same time.  You know what the Nigels are like though, they love all that tradition stuff.